LH
Posted By
lou_hosta
Apr 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I created several Tiff’s in PS 7. When I attempt to look at the File Info I get the following message on some of the files that I created in PS7.

The message is: "Could not complete the File Info command because of a problem with the File Info module.

This does not happen on every file, only on some of them. Has anyone else seen this and does anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks,
Lou

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

RW
Rene_Walling
Apr 25, 2004
What OS are you using?
EM
Edward_McCain
Apr 28, 2004
I am running Photoshop CS on a Mac with OS 10.3.3. I am having much the same problem as Lou. I’m a professional photographer and am using the IPTC data (File Info in Photoshop lingo) to embed metadata about the image so it can be searched for and retrieved.

I’m having a meltdown trying to figure out what is going on with Photoshop CS and the File Info module. I have several hundred files (maybe more) that have had the IPTC data embedded using Image Info Toolkit (IIT) and/or Photoshop 7 (PS7). I can open the files and see the same metadata using IIT, PS7 and iView MediaPro AND PSCS File Browser. I just can’t get to it using PSCS.

When I open the file in PSCS, I sometimes get a message "This file contains file info data which cannot be read and has been ignored," -sometimes… Once the file opens in PSCS, I can see the image and work on it with all the regular Photoshop commands – EXCEPT when I try to use File Info to see the IPTC data. Here’s the alert: "Could not complete the File Info command because of a problem with the File Info module."

In a few cases I have discovered that my Silverfast scanning software has inserted some unknown characters (I call it gobbledegook) into one of the IPTC fields (Author, I think) and when I deleted these characters using PSCS File Browser, the File Info opened and worked. But most of the time it has nothing to do with this problem (as far as I can tell). Does anyone have any idea how to fix this or what exactly is going on? I’m worried that I won’t have access to the file info module in CS on my old files and won’t be able to update them if I need to.

Edward McCain

* ****************************************** Edward McCain Assignment & Stock Photography
Voice: (520) 623-1998 Fax: (520) 623-1190
mailto:
<http://www.mccainphoto.com>
"Life is an affirmative action program"
DR
Donald_Rossi
May 2, 2004
I have seen this sporadically all the way back to Photoshop 6. However, Photoshop 6 and 7 will show you the file info but is has garbage in it. Have you tried to save a copy of the file? When I have tried this it did not correct the problem
DR
Donald_Rossi
May 3, 2004
OK, I think I have a fix for these files using the Photoshop "File Browser". The browser can see the metadata and you can edit the IPTC portion. If you edit the IPTC data(don’t forget to click on the check mark in the bottom right corner of the palette) the file will be fixed.
JL
jann_lipka
May 22, 2004
While batchprocessing a folder with approx 1000 images , on three of them I got a dialogbox saying : "Could not complete the File info command because of a problem with file info module " , and I get this message any time I will try to get file info . Resave doesn’t help . The only way to fix it is to "drag " over image to another newly crated document . ( = a new file is created ) .
Donalds solution with " correcting" IPTC info in FB seems to work ….. Thanks Donald .
Spooky anyway

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections