Posted By
Frank_JDaniels
May 10, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Photoshop CS with Windows XP Office.

I import my Nikon 9000 ED scanner into Photoshop and scan film. When I close the scanner window to work on the files, Photoshop shuts down and I lose my scans. Any suggestions?
Thanks

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

RK
Rob_Keijzer
May 10, 2005
Frank,

How do you start the scan? Via File / Import/ Yourscanner? Is PS already up at that time. Another application shouldn’t be able to shut down PS.

Can you describe your exact steps?

Has this always been the case? Or did it once work fine?

Rob
FJ
Frank_JDaniels
May 10, 2005
Reply to Rob K.
Thanks for the reply. I start the scan in PS by File > Import > Nikon Scan 4.0. PS is up at that time. I then scan the transparency (or several) and when I close out the scan window [Nikon Super Coolscan 9000 ED 1.01 @ IEEE1394]by clicking on the X box, I lose CS as well, along with all my work. This is a new computer [Gateway Pentium 4, 3.4 gig; 1 gig RAM, 500 gig HD with Microsoft office XP professional small business edition]. This happened occasionally on my previous computer and now happens every time.
Frank
CC
Chris_Cox
May 10, 2005
Don’t use the Nikon Scan plugin – it’s known for it’s bugs.

Use the Nikon Scan stand alone program, save the files, then open them in Photoshop (that way you’ll lose less images, but Nikon Scan will still crash sometimes).
FJ
Frank_JDaniels
May 10, 2005
Thanks. That’s what I have been doing – I was trying to save the extra steps. I will forgo the convenience on your advice. You would think a $2000 scanner would have better software.
CC
Chris_Cox
May 10, 2005
I thought so, too. But Nikon never seems to fix the memory leaks and crashing bugs in their plugin (despite many reports from Adobe outlining their problems).

The app still has problems – but not as many.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
May 11, 2005
Do you have the latest version of the Nikon software? I ask only because I use the Coolscan V via the plugin w/o problems.
CC
Chris_Cox
May 11, 2005
Michael – yes, I do.
DC
David_Calvert
May 11, 2005
Yes, I know this problem, I have the 9000 and its VERY irritating. Nikon of course wash their hands of the problem and just say try uninstalling Scan 4, clean the registry and re-install, but this makes no difference. I have also noticed the problem is worse with Nikon Scan v. 4.02

Although you could use Scan 4 as standalone and then go into PS, the process is long-winded if you need to do a load of batch scans and edit them in PS.

What I have found helps to minimise PS crashing with Scan 4 is to do the following:

1. Disable all programmes such as Anti virus and firewalls.
2. Keep PS’s memory usage low (around 55-60%)
3. On Scan 4’s Prefs section, uncheck ‘close window and eject film’ option.

Plus, do us a favour and register this issue on the tech suport section on Nikon’s website. Say other people have noted this fault. It may swing them into action.

Hope this helps.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections