7 to CS, is there something I am missing per speed.

B
Posted By
blackxacto
Apr 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
OSX33/G4-450/dual/1gigRAM/45gigHD+20gigHD+160gigHD/Photoshop CS

I made a document 8.5 inches x 11 inches at 300 dpi.
I had one base layer of pure white. I had two layers above of type (not rasterized) w layer styles.

That’s it, CS is entirely slow moving items, and redrawing previews. It was disgusting.

I’ve gone to the Preferences windows and shut off everything I can think of, plus giving CS 80% of the HD. 29 gigs are available on it. No clipboard saved. No compatibility saved. ALL Purged. 20 steps history. 2 cache previews saved. Slim downed.

Is CS a real speed drag compared to 7. Do I need several gigs more of RAM?

What’s the slow down? File Browser is not open.

jr

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

R
Ram
Apr 23, 2004
…plus giving CS 80% of the HD.

That would be 80% of available RAM, wouldn’t it? It’s possible that you’re taking too much RAM away from the system and other applications. Try scaling back to something like 65% or so and see if that helps.

Other things that can help speed things up are having the scratch disk on a different drive than your boot drive, and repairing permissions.
B
blackxacto
Apr 23, 2004
Thank you for your reply. I’ll try the 65%. I keep permissions repaired frequently but its good to hear the reminder. The HD w CS has 29gig free, the secondary has 16gig free, the third has 100gig free.

I thought we were going to be freed up from System 9 memory allocation, but CS seems to want to pull me back into it. DRAT!

jr
R
Ram
Apr 23, 2004
If the scratch disk is on your boot drive, the system is going to be competing with it for the use of the read/write heads on it; this slows you down.

Set your scratch disk in your Photoshop preferences to the separate internal drive with the most available space.

Photoshop 8 is not the only application that allows you to set the % of available RAM it is allowed to use. Photoshop 7 does that too, and I imagine other programs do as well.
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 23, 2004
The System 9 RAM allocation IS gone.

But we have to limit it somehow or you get out of memory errors, or force other applications to page out, or….
PD
Patty_Deming
Apr 23, 2004
I’m having the same speed issues. I’ve allocated 65%, lowered the cache, set the scratch disk to another drive, repaired disk permissions and restarted Photoshop, but have had no improvement.

I’ve started the activity monitor and Photoshop is showing that it is around 50% of CPU Usage with something called "(null)" is around 25%. These two activities are clogging the whole system and this is with Photoshop just sitting in the background. All other activities are at about 5% with the System itself taking up between 5% and 12%. After quitting Photoshop, the un-known "(null)" activity still remains. Does anyone know what the "(null)" activity is?

Also, I’ve searched the Forum and have found several other threads that complain of slow – painfully slow – Photoshop CS performance. I’ve noticed slow performance with all the CS Suite – Illustrator, In-Design and GoLive.

This is the first Adobe upgrade that hasn’t wowed me.
RL
Ronald_Lanham
Apr 23, 2004
Patty,

Something may be going on with your system if all of the CS suite is running more slowly.

InDesign CS is noticeably faster and the Adobe InDesign (Mac) forum has noted this through many posts.

Acrobat 6 Pro is certainly not slower and is definitely superior to Acrobat 5 (I use it often). PS CS appears similar to 7 for me but my files don’t exceed 500MB.

I haven’t had the CPU run at high %s for many months and that was when I was using ID2.0.2 and after trashing prefs it returned to normal.

Have you trashed your PS prefs?
PD
Patty_Deming
Apr 23, 2004
This is to update my previous post. I’ve tracked down the mysterious "(null)" which happened to be my print spooler from Xerox running under Classic. So I stop Classic and the "(null)" drops off the activity monitor and the background CPU usage of Photoshop drops way down into 1% or less category. I started Classic without my printer app running at Photoshop’s background usage remains below 1%. Obviously, there is some sort of conflict between the two.

However, while using Photoshop the CPU Usage stays up at 70%. It is still painfully slow to work in.
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 23, 2004
Patty – that sounds like the File browser is busy in the background. Close the file browser, and disable background processing in preferences.
B
blackxacto
Apr 24, 2004
Chris, I finally get what you are saying bout background processing. I just shut it off in Preferneces. Thanks. That would slow anyone down. Appreciate it. jr
PD
Patty_Deming
Apr 26, 2004
Chris,

Sorry I didn’t mention that the File Browser was close. I don’t keep that open unless I’m looking for a specific image. Also, I just check my prefs and Background Processing wasn’t checked.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections