NG
Posted By
Nick_G_Walker
Apr 22, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Does anyone own a CG21 one and how do you rate them?

Better than Apple displays?

How close to CRT in Mitsubishi ot Lacie range?

Many thanks

Nick Walker

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BF
Bruce_Fraser
Apr 22, 2004
I’ve been using a CG21 for about six months. Better than the Apple ACD in uniformity and smoothness of gradients, as good as the Mits or LaCie CRTs in terms of color accuracy.

I have mine side-by-side with an Artisan, and compared to the Artisan it’s consistently a little warm, but if I didn’t have the Artisan there as a reference, it’s very likely that I wouldn’t notice the warmth.
NG
Nick_G_Walker
Apr 22, 2004
Bruce

I almost placed an order for a CG21 today but wasn’t quite sure whether to bite the bullet and purchase the CG21, wait for Apples’ new monitors to be announced, or buy an existing Apple 23" LCD along with Powermac G5 dual 2 gig which are on offer with the 23" display.

In the UK the CG21 is priced at £1278.00 + VAT – Eizo listed distributor. Not that much difference price wise compared to the 23" Apple.

Having read the white paper on the CG21, regardless of its marketing aims, I am impressed with Eizos’ overall aproach to quality and colour management goals.

Thanks for reassuring me regarding the performance of the CG21 which I am now heavily leaning towards.

Nick
R
Ram
Apr 22, 2004
Wow! Coming from Bruce, and in the context of having one of those monitors right next to the Artisan, that is high praise indeed.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 22, 2004
It’s really bright compared to a CRT though, if that’s what your looking for.
BF
Bruce_Fraser
Apr 22, 2004
EIZO recommends running the CG21 at 120cd/m2, though it will let you drive the monitor at up to 200cd/m2. Bear in mind that unlike a CRT, the CG21 has a fixed contrast ratio of 400:1 (which is pretty good, but not as wide as the Artisan’s 500:1).

I found that running at 200 candelas gave very weak blacks, and a choppier gradient, than running it at the recommended 120 cd/m2. Mo, I think when you saw it, it was running at 200, which really is very bright.

But any way you slice it, it’s a very nice display.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 22, 2004
Yes, it’s a very good unit, if you can crunch the numbers.

;o)

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections