AM
Posted By
Al_Millstein
Oct 2, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
A few months ago I did a 30 day free trial of Jasc Paint Shop Pro 7, and wound up paying $39 for the full version. In the past month, have devoted some time to learning it – not an easy program to learn; has its own language, but as I get into it am finding it quite interesting, with a broad range of features which I see as enhancing one’s abilities vis-a-vis PE2, including an Animation Shop; also, for example much greater text capabilities. In fact, I am sure that devotees of Jasc would argue it does everything PE2 does, in addition to being a Paint program.

I’m sensitive to the fact that this is a PE forum, and don’t want to clutter it up with stuff about another program, however I’m curious whether others have used the Jasc program in conjunction w/PE, how you use it, and any critique of the idea. Don’t mind if you tell me you think this is not the place for this discussion.

Al

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

GD
Grant_Dixon
Oct 2, 2003
Al

As I said I do have PSP both 7 and 8. It is a very powerful program and with the scripting of 8 it rivals Photoshop in features and capability. There are some that love it, hate it, and those that like me are a bit lukewarm to it.

It is a feature rich product and once learned sees to be a very very good tool. But I like you have had a difficult time with the learning curve.

Some of the things that I dislike about the program are as follows.

While it is personal, I do not like the user interface it is just to cutesy pie dummy down for me. The second thing I do not like about the interface and this is less personal and more factual is there are just to may options and they are place in areas that are not intrinsic to me. The number of options instead of helping to learn the program retard the growth as there are just too many ways to skin the cat. Finally I do not like the speed of it using the same computer both Elements and Photoshop are like lightening fast by comparison.

There are a few wonderful features that come with PSP and for the price it is cheaper to by PSP that add-ons for Elements. For example you can create a seamless background for web with one key stroke, there is also a magical erase that is really easy to use. As you have the text capability is so advanced from Elements it is not even worth working in elements for massive amounts of text. That being said I do not do text with PSP as I also have PhotoPaint 11.

Grant
SG
Syble_Glasscock
Oct 3, 2003
I downloaded a trial of PSP, and it automatically changed some of my photos I had saved in My Pictures file to PSP, (I am running XP), also I worked on a new file with PE Elements and when it saved it, it saved it in PSP. How can I change this? When the file is in PSP, I can’t view the file in my Windows Picture viewer.

The reason I downloaded the file, I was hoping it was easier to use than PE Elements, I’m still not comfortable with it, but it looks like it is going to be very difficult to learn. I do really like the magical eraser, it worked great on an old photo I was working on.

I’m making scrapbook pages of old photos for my siblings, can I start the file in PSP, close, then open in PSE and continue working on the same file?
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 3, 2003
Syble, I’m not familiar with PSP, but if you can save the output from PSP in a universal format like JPG or TIF, you should be able to sequentially process your pictures through PSP and PSE.

Chuck
GD
Grant_Dixon
Oct 3, 2003
Syble

You can select the way you want to save files in both PE and PSP by selecting Save AS … You will find that PSP has more file types but some are very obscure. PE on the other hand limits selection to all the majour types. PSP can import and use all the files created in PE (including maintaining layers) On the other hand PE can use all the files created in PSP as long as the format is supported by PE for example PE will not support *.msp.

The reason, I suspect, you can’t use the Window’s Picture Viewer is that you selected (probably inadvertently) to over write Window’s File Association. I have written directions in how to redo this and if I can find them I will send them to you.

You can work back and forth between PE and PSE as long as you save the files in common formats. in fact you can still work in layers and maintain that advantage.

While both programs have a steep learning curve I found the PE was much easier to scale. Good luck

Grant
J
jhjl1
Oct 3, 2003
Go to Files>Preferences>File Format Associations and uncheck any that you do not want associated with PSP.
Here is a link to some tuts for PSP, http://www.psplinks.com/. Just remember it’s not an either-or proposition, if you have both, use both. Both programs are very good.

Have A Nice Day,
jwh 🙂
My Pictures
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview

wrote in message
I downloaded a trial of PSP, and it automatically changed some
of my photos I had saved in My Pictures file to PSP, (I am running XP), also I worked on a new file with PE Elements and when it saved it, it saved it in PSP. How can I change this? When the file is in PSP, I can’t view the file in my Windows Picture viewer.
The reason I downloaded the file, I was hoping it was easier to
use than PE Elements, I’m still not comfortable with it, but it looks like it is going to be very difficult to learn. I do really like the magical eraser, it worked great on an old photo I was working on.
I’m making scrapbook pages of old photos for my siblings, can I
start the file in PSP, close, then open in PSE and continue working on the same file?
R
Ray
Oct 3, 2003
Syble,

Before I discovered PSE, I was trying to understand PSP. I abandoned after a few months. Nothing was natural, too many things on the screen, and those windows appearing and disapearing when the mouse stepped over was too annoying. Then I joined this group, read a few good books, and PSE became very clear to me. Further, several other softwares are "adopting" Elements (and Photoshop)
layers and window layout. Corel Painter 8, for one. Looking at both software quickly, you could almost think Painter is Photoshop.

I’d say don’t give up, divide your goal in small tasks, and ask questions around here. Those people
could write the encyclopedia of Elements, and they are very friendly and patient with beginners.

There are also on-line classes if you feel you could need it. Contact me privately if you want information : Several people, including myself, have joined these classes over the last year and we all agree: working with PSE now has never been so easy!

Ray
AM
Al_Millstein
Oct 4, 2003
I got the insight I was looking for in this thread. Thanks to all for your contributions.

Al
SG
Syble_Glasscock
Oct 4, 2003
Thanks for all your help

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections