DT
Posted By
Dave_Tarantula
May 8, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi everyone, just recently photoshop 7.0 started displaying this error message "Could not use paint bucket because the content of the layer is not directly editable" this is really starting to bug me. Photoshop 7.0 is fairly new just got my whole comp fixed and had Photoshop 7.0 installed. Didn’t have this problem for a week and now I all of sudden get it. Here is a screen shot of it as well. Also I asked one of my friends about it and they said try rasterizing it. And so I did and it worked. But I don’t want to have to do that over and over again. I want to be able to just click the paint bucket and fill the shape with out needing to right click and rasterize I just want to click paint bucket and click the area I want to fill and thats it. I already tried resetting my prefferances, still no luck. Any help at all greatly appreciated. And yes I made sure I was on the correct layer.

– Dave

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CC
Chris_Cox
May 8, 2005
It’s not a problem – the message means just what it says!

You’re trying to use a pixel editing tool on something that isn’t pixels (in this case a vector shape layer).
DT
Dave_Tarantula
May 8, 2005
went back and created a new file this time made sure pixels was selected and still no luck. any other ideas?

– Dave
DT
Dave_Tarantula
May 8, 2005
ok this is strane…heres what happens i choose the rectangle tool box than you know how you have the three different types you can use which are shape layers, paths, fill pixels….if i choose fill pixels it works..well duh obviously it should hense the name fill pixels but whats confusing me is isnt it supposed to create a sperate layer for the shape not keep it on the background?

– Dave
DM
dave_milbut
May 8, 2005
shapes are vector and scalable without loss. the paint bucket doesn’t work on vectors, only raster objects. that’s why it works with fill pixels (or marquee tool) and not with shape layers.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
May 8, 2005
If you want to change the color of a vector shape layer, double click on its thumbnail in the layers palette.
If you want to create your raster rectangle on a layer, create the layer before. Reading the user guide about shapes might help you tremendously.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections