Posted By
Dave
Jan 17, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Since I’m living on the beachfront in Durban,
my (first) manual shutter release cable picked up a coarseness on the inside of the casing, which could be nothing else than rust. I had to find another one for my Fuji Finepix s9600.

This same release, seen under SHUTTER RELEASE CABLE at
http://www.alzodigital.com/online_store/digital_camera_fuji_ s9000_kit.htm became very very scarce. I battled finding one, would have ordered one from abroad if necessary, but could not even find one internationally. WOW!!! Then I was lucky enough to find one locally in Cape Town!

I ordered it and received it this morning and knowing how hard it was finding it, it should be handled with satin gloves.

My question: Should I/ can I/ treat it with engine oil or gun oil inside the casing? Or, are there any reason for not doing it?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JJ
John J
Jan 17, 2009
Dave wrote:

I ordered it and received it this morning and knowing how hard it was finding it, it should be handled with satin gloves.

My question: Should I/ can I/ treat it with engine oil or gun oil inside the casing? Or, are there any reason for not doing it?

Those releases are very common elsewhere. I am always losing cable releases so I have a dozen.

Do nothing to it. Any lube you put into the cable will find its way into the camera. Graphite is the very worst! Oils trap dust. Do nothing. Get a few spare releases.
D
Dave
Jan 17, 2009
On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 06:44:26 -0600, John J wrote:

Dave wrote:

Those releases are very common elsewhere. I am always losing cable releases so I have a dozen.

Believe me John, they are not as common to find as you think. I found forums with people complaining (not locally!) about not finding it. Right here in Durban, 3 photo shops promised to help finding it. Prove it to yourself – see how many ads (other than the one I supplied) you can find (Manual versions remember). The one I posted is in Spain I think.

I used weeks to make sure of my facts. You bought your dozen when the were easier available.

I was searching for a Fuji product but I assume more of them would fit.

Do nothing to it. Any lube you put into the cable will find its way into the camera. Graphite is the very worst! Oils trap dust. Do nothing. Get a few spare releases.

Thanks for your advice. This is why I asked before doing anything to it. Then, I should order another one while I know where to find it. BUT… (!) the spare one(s) will be stored right here in this moist atmosphere as well:-)
A
akphotog
Jan 17, 2009
You put it in a ziplock bag with some sawdust or flour.

BUT… (!) the spare one(s) will be stored right here in this moist atmosphere as well:-)
JJ
John J
Jan 17, 2009
Dave wrote:

Believe me John, they are not as common to find as you think.

I think we have an international gap. I live in Minnesota USA where we can still get those. In fact, last summer a dealer had a big box of them for a sidewalk sale.

I found forums with people complaining (not locally!) about not finding it. Right here in Durban, 3 photo shops promised to help finding it. Prove it to yourself – see how many ads (other than the one I supplied) you can find (Manual versions remember). The one I posted is in Spain I think.

OK! Keep in mind that most cable releases with with most shutters. There is a subtle, but insignificant difference between shutter that prefer tapered ends and those with straight ends. The tapered ones work with either.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com has six pages of cable releases http://www.adorama.com several
http://www.freestylephoto.biz has 29 hits

The list goes on and on.

I used weeks to make sure of my facts. You bought your dozen when the were easier available.

Yes. Show me a close-up of the Fuji tip and I guarantee you I can find a dozen sources of the perfect cable release.
D
Dave
Jan 17, 2009
On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 10:40:25 -0600, John J wrote:

Dave wrote:

I think we have an international gap. I live in Minnesota USA where we can still get those. In fact, last summer a dealer had a big box of them for a sidewalk sale.
This is certainly the reason. I checked on al three your links and certainly there they are. I did not even found (or noticed) those links on a search machine. Thanks therefore, you convinced me.

Reason for not picking up those links (AND also the reason for battling to find what I was searching for) was certainly searching *specific for ‘manual shutter releases for the Fuji Finepix 9600. I thought of the possibility that the fittings could be universal, but still searched specific.

Read this by someone also searching (in 2005:-)
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204283

Maybe there are no shutter releases made by Fuji but
the shutter release only includes a release socket that is designed to receive a screw-in cable release, made by whichever manufacturer.

I found forums with people complaining (not locally!) about not finding it. Right here in Durban, 3 photo shops promised to help finding it. Prove it to yourself – see how many ads (other than the one I supplied) you can find (Manual versions remember). The one I posted is in Spain I think.

OK! Keep in mind that most cable releases with with most shutters. There is a subtle, but insignificant difference between shutter that prefer tapered ends and those with straight ends. The tapered ones work with either.

This is most important what you are explaining here.
It would have been to risky ordering it from abroad only hoping it to fit. Thanks again, I’ll save your explanation somewhere
in my camera data and software.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com has six pages of cable releases http://www.adorama.com several
http://www.freestylephoto.biz has 29 hits

The list goes on and on.

Yes. Show me a close-up of the Fuji tip and I guarantee you I can find a dozen sources of the perfect cable release.
D
Dave
Jan 17, 2009
On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 08:37:01 -0800, "tweaked_eye" wrote:

BUT… (!) the spare one(s) will be stored right here in this moist atmosphere as well:-)

Thanks. Then maybe (and even more practical:-) I can simply store it in my safe where there are bags of silica gel for keeping moisture from my guns.

Thanks for your reply. The safe is where it will be.
JJ
John J
Jan 17, 2009
Dave wrote:
On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 10:40:25 -0600, John J wrote:

Dave wrote:

This is certainly the reason. I checked on al three your links and certainly there they are. I did not even found (or noticed) those links on a search machine. Thanks therefore, you convinced me.
[… snip generous post …]

My pleasure, Dave. I certainly understand the confusion, especially as it regards digital cameras because manufacturers tend to re-invent proprietary parts when not really necessary. Fuji did not. It apparently uses the typical tapered release. Fuji is a most excellent company.

FWIW, not that I’m so smart. I’ve simply been at this for over 40 years; I build cameras, too.

Enjoy!

John
JJ
John J
Jan 17, 2009
Dave wrote:
On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 08:37:01 -0800, "tweaked_eye" wrote:

Thanks. Then maybe (and even more practical:-) I can simply store it in my safe where there are bags of silica gel for keeping moisture from my guns.

Yup! That works very well. My dad taught me that. I use the two-pound re-usable bags of silicone. I’ve still got the .22 rifle he gave me in 1952, and it is rust free.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections