JS
Posted By
John_Slate
Apr 18, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
What is the difference between a fill layer and a pixel layer that contains a flat color? (Beside the capacity to paint different colors into the pixel layer)

Logic would dictate that the fill layer would be stored in such a way that there are no pixels per se, but more a vector definition of the fill which could then be modified only with a layer mask, or by altering overall opacity/blending mode.

Yet when I save a PSD (v7.0.1) with a single pixel layer filled with a flat color, and then replicate the same thing using a fill layer, I get the exact same file size in the finder window.

I would expect the fill layer file to be smaller.

Does the native RLE compression coincidently create the same exact file size of the pixel layer file compared to the fill layer file?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RW
Rene_Walling
Apr 19, 2004
Does the native RLE compression coincidently create the same exact file size of the pixel layer file compared to the fill layer file?

Chances are yes, since a uniform colour could be compressed by RLE encoding to "x number of pixels with this colour" which are essentialy two number (number of pixels and the colour)
J
JasonSmith
Apr 19, 2004
A fill layer is filled with the same color pixels, so in essence there is no difference between a fill layer and pixel layer.

"but more a vector definition of the fill"

nope, it’s not like Illustrator.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 19, 2004
so in essence there is no difference between a fill layer and pixel layer. <

actually the major difference is that the vector color element is changeable, (non-linear) "editable" without the use of post processing tools such as curves.
RS
Rick_Stare
Apr 19, 2004
Most of these posts have concentrated on the mechanics of how Photoshop creates or stores the data for fill layers vs. pixel layers.

In my experience with fill layers, the big difference is ergonomics. The fill layer can be changed to a new color by double-clicking on the layer thumbnail, which brings up the Color Picker. Here’s the payoff for designers – as you pick around in the picker, the color updates on-screen immediately. It’s really much more efficient for finding just the right color to coordinate with other elements.

* Rick
JS
John_Slate
Apr 20, 2004
I think that’s what Mike said only he said it in techno-speak.

thanks evrybody

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections