S
Posted By
stevent
May 6, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
The ‘Progress Bar'(is it meant to be ironic?) is pretty much something I could do without. In a few of the filters I use (frischluft’s ‘flair’ for example), the progress bar appears as soon as i alter a setting, and won’t disappear until I apply the filter.
IF I cancel the progress bar, then Photoshop freezes, and i’m forced to restart. Anyone know of a hack or some way to disable the progress bar?

Thanks

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DM
dave_milbut
May 6, 2005
I don’t have much help but to say that i don’t like the new progress bar much either (not that i’ve seen it much.)

someone suggested either adding it to the info palette or to the status area (that is now) on the bottom of the image window. i’m for either. it’s pretty ugly just hanging out there on it’s own. it looks like an afterthought the way it is.
DN
Daniel_Neeley
May 6, 2005
What bugs me is that it doesn’t always show. When developing RAW images I have no indication as to the status of the conversion(s).
MM
Mick_Murphy
May 6, 2005
What bugs me is that it doesn’t always show.

This is a new ‘feature’. It doesn’t show if an operation takes less than 8? seconds or so.
DM
dave_milbut
May 7, 2005
yes, 8 secs, we’ve been told.
JJ
John Joslin
May 7, 2005
We’ve also been told 5 secs but whatever it is, it sucks.

The good ole bar down the bottom used to let you know an operation has started however short or long – and it didn’t get in the way! Now you’re never quite sure if an operation has started. The hourglass cursor doesn’t help either because some modules invoke it and others don’t.

🙁
C
chrisjbirchall
May 11, 2005
Now you’re never quite sure if an operation has started.

In the "Goodies" folder under Filters>Photoshop Only, are some routines to add certain items to the registry. One of these is ForceProgress which will force the progress bar to appear for all operations.

Chris
DN
Daniel_Neeley
May 12, 2005
Yay! Progress information is good.

Here is the exact directory on the Photoshop CD (Win):
[CD Drive]:\Goodies\Optional Plug-Ins\Photoshop Only\Optional Extensions\

Thanks Chris.
S
stevent
May 12, 2005
I’m at work now, so I can’t check, but is there a reg hack to disable it?
C
chrisjbirchall
May 12, 2005
There are two files one to enable, one to disable. You just copy them to your desktop and double click. (Reg hacking for beginners! <grin>)

Chris.
B
borisz
May 12, 2005
Hi folks,
Here is location of tyml file which explains all registry "tweeks" Photoshop_CS2_tryout\Photoshop CS2\Goodies\Optional Plug-Ins\Photoshop Only\Optional Extensions\Registry Keys Read Me.html

Regards,
Boris
B
borisz
May 12, 2005
oops, thats HTML not tyml, sorry

Boris
S
stevent
May 12, 2005
The ‘ForceProgress_OFF_D.reg’ file doesn’t disable the progress bar, it just turns off the ‘Force On’ of the progress bar.
Also seems like a few of the reg keys aren’t even listed in the ‘Registry Keys Read Me.html’.
HL
hanford_lemoore
May 12, 2005
Yeah, I’ve watched operations take much longer than 8 seconds and still no progress bar appears.

I don’t mind the bar at all, in fact I wish it appeared immediately (even for every fast operations) and I hope it remembers it’s position. I’d like to be able to move it; I haven’t tried yet though.

Hanford
B
biznotcher
May 12, 2005
well the reg file will make it appear always…even for split second operations (like filling the canvas with a solid color).

personally think it gets annoying when that reg key is enabled but the problem is (like so many people have pointed out already) is that the progress bar doesn’t always appear after 5 seconds. sometimes it isn’t appearing at all, which is extremely frustrating.

one thing that seemed to help me though was to run that force progress ON registry file, start CS2, then close it, turn the force progress OFF and then restart. the progress bar now *seems* to be appearing as it should…
C
chrisjbirchall
May 12, 2005
Nice tip biznotcher, I’ll try that one.

Incidentally, try and remember to use a capital i (I) when starting a new paragraph. The small i is forcing the text into italics which makes it difficult to read on some screen resolutions.

Chris.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections