How do I move Plugins form Photoshop CS to Photoshop CS2?

GB
Posted By
Glen_Baisley
May 5, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just bought the Creative Suite 2. What folders do I go to to move plugins so that they will work in the new Creative Suite 2 Photoshop? Also, do I need to uninstall CS before installing CS2?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

M
marionbabich
May 5, 2005
Glen,

Check post #8 by Dave Milbut "URGENT: Crashes when launching CS2". He addresses that situation.
DM
dave_milbut
May 6, 2005
right. you DON’T move them. you install them in a seperate folder then point to it. do this one time and you’re set for all future upgrades. don’t mix 3rd party plug ins into your ps plugin folder if you can avoid it! it’s nothing but a headache! (learned from experinece!)
GB
Glen_Baisley
May 6, 2005
Understood but now if I want to move them to a different folder separate from Adobe so that problems won’t occur where do I find them to begin with? Are they all in the Adobe/Adobe Photoshop CS/Plug-ins folder or are additional ones in another adobe Shared folder of some sort as well?
DM
dave_milbut
May 6, 2005
where do I find them to begin with?

usually on installation disks you got when you bought them.
P
Pipkin
May 6, 2005
From my experience. I have installed both Photoshops (CS2 as the second Photoshop). In CS2 Preferences (Plig-Ins & Scratch Disks) I pointed to the Plug-Ins folder of Photoshop CS just to verify compatibility. Everything was fine, only when starting, CS2 was angry shortly with a pair of ‘system’ plugins of CS.
Afterwards, having made sure that CS2 is worthy of it, I simply COPIED all plug-ins from CS to CS2 Plig-Ins folder and uninstalled Photoshop CS totally . (Then removed pointer for Additional Plug-Ins Folder in CS2’s Preferences, of course).
All is OK now. No one 3rd party plugin has needed of reinstallation.
TH
Tina_Hayes
May 6, 2005
Maaaaaaaan! Every other upgrade I simply copied and pasted my plugins over to the new upgrade..most of them worked, and a handful I had to actually re-install.

You mean I won’t be able to do this now? (Running the trial currently, so not bothering with all of that yet)
L
LenHewitt
May 6, 2005
Glen,

You should not try to use plugins that shipped with a previous version with a new version – ONLY any ADDITIONAL 3rd. party plugins that you installed, and those will be wherever you installed them too, either an additional plugins folder you created or the previous version’s plugins folder.

Tina,

See the above to Glen. Most 3rd party plugins can be just moved, although some do require installing. Additionally it is far better practice to install 3rd. party plugins to a separate folder and point Photoshop at that folder as an additional plugins folder.
B
BobLevine
May 6, 2005
You can do it, there’s just no need especially if you’re going to be using CS and CS2 for a while. Just create a new folder and dump the third party plugins there. Point both versions at that folder and you only need one install.

Bob
S
stevent
May 6, 2005
I think on uninstalling CS, the uninstaller leaves the plugin folder (C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop CS\Plug-Ins where it is.
When you install CS2, just add this folder as a seperate plugin folder. Don’t move the plugins – If they had to be in stalled, as the uninstall path will point to the install location.
DM
dave_milbut
May 6, 2005
ok, don’t listen to the voice of experience. point cs2 at cs’s plugin folder. <shrug>
L
LenHewitt
May 6, 2005
Dave,

Actually there’s nothing wrong with stevent’s suggestion. Having uninstalled the previous version, only 3rd.party stuff will be left in the plugins folder. Anything installed WITH Photoshop should be uninstalled by the uninstaller.
B
BobLevine
May 6, 2005
It’s amazing how many people would rather make a mistake than learn from someone else’s.

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
May 6, 2005
true that. but many will skip the uninstall part and just go to the point at the old plugin folder part. i was trying to provide a solution that, although it’ll take a bit of work up front, will save the user from going through it again for all upgrades in the future.
TH
Tina_Hayes
May 6, 2005
Before I read this post I tried pointing CS2 to 7’s plugins and that was disaterous…I had to reset prefrences…

THEN I read this post.
DM
dave_milbut
May 6, 2005
what was that movie… johnie dangerously i think? where the guy kept saying stuff like: My momma did that to me… ONCE!

erm, nevermind. 🙂
AL
Alfred_Law
May 7, 2005
I’m afraid I need a bit more detail as to how to move third party plugins from CS to CS2. In the past I simply copied the relevant plugin files from the older Photoshop version’s plugin folder to the new, in the same subfolders, etc. Does this still work? I tried using the new pointer to the old CS folder and got lots of error messages on startup.

Particularly, how do you create a plugin folder that both CS and CS2 can use, referred to in the message above?
ST
Shane_Taylor
May 8, 2005
Dave,

Does this technique only work for Plug-ins? I have a similar problem where I create Custom Print Settings, workspaces, etc., and don’t know where to find them, or even if they are ‘transferable’. For example, I’ve defined a customer paper size that I use regularly, but every time I upgrade, I have to recreate it. Is there a resource that details where all the possible user created preferences/settings are stored and if/how they can be moved with an upgrade. It would seem this is a problem we’ve all struggled with — has Adobe made it easier and I just haven’t discoverd it yet?

Thanks,
Shane
DM
dave_milbut
May 8, 2005
Does this technique only work for Plug-ins? I have a similar problem where I create Custom Print Settings, workspaces, etc.,

nope. i have 2 folders. one for "davesPlugins" and one for "davesCustomStuff".

the plugs is easy, you just point at the folder in the prefs. the custom stuff requires a little more work in that you need to save the stuff out from an old version (actions, swatches, brushes, etc) then load them into the new version using the "Load" actions from the various palettes. but keeping them seperate from adobe’s default stuff is a HUGE time saver when uprgading. do it right once and all your upgrades in the future will go much smoother.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections