VB
Posted By
Vicky Bilaniuk
Sep 25, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Heh, this debate is hitting news sites such as the NYTimes, now.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/25/technology/circuits/25howw .html?th

(unfortunately, you have to register, but at least it’s free)

It always strikes me as kind of funny that the debate is getting louder, these days. I guess that’s the result of LCDs becoming increasingly cheaper and popular. I agree with the part of the article that says that it’s a personal choice, and I will feel sorry for those who choose CRTs if market pressures eventually make it impossible to buy one. (if it ever comes down to that, then I guess those of us who still have a CRT kicking around might suddenly have something surprisingly valuable)

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

RC
Richard Coencas
Sep 25, 2003
Thanks Vicky. Great article. Now I know what NTSC stands for.

Rich
P
Phosphor
Sep 25, 2003
Great article, Vicky! Thanks.
Z
ZR
Sep 25, 2003
I read the article. Interesting as it is, I do not get the idea of the "color triangle"…?? – Would someone please explain that assumiong that the reader has no background in dispaly technologies ?

Thanks

ZR

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 08:01:01 -0700, "Richard Coencas" wrote:

Thanks Vicky. Great article. Now I know what NTSC stands for.
Rich
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 25, 2003
The popularity of the new LCD’s is certainly in evidence at the Dell site. I purchased a relatively low-end desktop for my daughter last month and a 15-inch LCD was part of the standard package; this month, the LCD is a $200 upgrade and they’re on backorder.
PD
Peter Duniho
Sep 25, 2003
"Vicky Bilaniuk" wrote in message
Heh, this debate is hitting news sites such as the NYTimes, now.
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/25/technology/circuits/25howw .html?th

Hmmm…I don’t remember registering for their site, and I could read the article.

Anyway, nice article. As an LCD convert, I can confirm that a) LCD’s still aren’t quite as good as CRTs for color reproduction, but that b) they are so close that the other benefits of the LCD monitor outweigh the drawbacks, at least for many people (myself included).

I don’t think CRTs are going to disappear any time soon. One company (I forget who) has developed a new CRT that is much thinner than what is currently manufacturered, which will help stave off the LCD onslaught even more. But CRTs have a better viewing angle, can be better under bright lights, do much better with multiple resolutions, and of course have smoother color reproduction.

The multi-resolution thing alone is probably going to keep CRTs in business for awhile. The other stuff are things that will eventually be addressed in LCDs, but the "native resolution" issue that LCDs have works both in their favor and against (they don’t do "multi-sync" very well, but when running in their native resolution, especially with digital video input, they are far more accurate than any CRT could be).

Pete
I
imacgirl
Sep 25, 2003
The Dallas Morning News Technology section today had a tip for Windows XP and LCD’s. "With Windows XP, users have several ways to improve the way text looks, especially on LCD’s. To get rid of the fuzzies & jaggies try the handy online tool at <http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/> ".

Barb

p.s. trying to mend my ways after our little Mac vs. Windows spat yesterday… 😉
P
Phosphor
Sep 25, 2003
Who’s going to volunteer to check out those new combo TV/computer monitors that Dell introduced?
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 25, 2003
ya all do know that they make flat screen CRT’s if it’s the ‘flat’ screen that tickles your fancy.

< http://www.save2much.com/buy/search/Compaq_17_Flat_Screen_CR T_Monitor_with_Speakers>

….with ‘ Coloreal ‘ technology….which i am currently using with my Compaq monitor and it rocks. I would like the new one i listed but will wait t’il next PC upgrade.
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 25, 2003
Jodi, I tried to e-mail you from my regular (rr) address; still no luck, I guess…

🙁
PD
Peter Duniho
Sep 25, 2003
"JodiFrye" wrote in message
ya all do know that they make flat screen CRT’s if it’s the ‘flat’ screen
that tickles your fancy.

Flat is nice, but pretty much all CRTs have flat now. There are still geometric distortions on such displays, and in any case they don’t address what is the other real benefit to LCDs: not only are they flat without geometric distortion, but they are also relatively thin and light. The flat CRTs still have a lot of depth to them, as well as weight.

Pete
P
Phosphor
Sep 25, 2003
I’ve had a flat screen CRT with my desktop Mac for over two years, and I really like it. I can tell a difference between using it and the standard monitors, but I doubt I could explain it. I keep hearing people talk about the flicker on their CRTs, but I can’t detect it on this one. It’s probably there, but it’s virtually unnoticeable to me. Of course it is time to have the prescription changed for my glasses again. 🙂
P
Phosphor
Sep 25, 2003
Yup. Depth and weight. Very helpful during earthquakes. 🙂

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections