Posted By
Joe_Crupi
Apr 14, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi there… I have done the following:

1. From Illustrator CS, I pasted a path (5pt dashed stroke) into PhotoShop CS.
2. Pasted the stroke as pixels.
3. Inverted the stroke.
4. Applied style (outer glow) to stroke.
5. Transformed stroke (perspective and distort)
6. Tried to apply motion blur (of 3) to the stroke – PS crashed when I pressed the OK button to apply the filter.

Any ideas?

Panther, Dual G5.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Ram
Apr 14, 2004
How much RAM? RAM %?
BH
bryan_hughes
Apr 14, 2004
I’ve yet to be able to reproduce this Joe, can you tell me more specifically how you inverted the stroke?, what the settings were on the blur filter (angle and strength)? and whether the transformations were done separately?

Thanks,

-Bryan
RS
Rick_Stare
Apr 14, 2004
Bryan,
I had a note from one of our designers a few weeks ago who reported the same problem. Photoshop 7 quit when attempting to apply a Motion Blur. OS X 10.2.6. No other details. I have NOT been able to duplicate this in 7 or CS, but just wanted to chime in here that Joe is not alone. There is SOME combination of factors that causes this for some people.
* Rick
BH
bryan_hughes
Apr 14, 2004
Thanks Rick,

I’ll continue to look into this. If you or anyone else should come up with a specific, reproducible occurrence, then please let me know.

-Bryan ()
JC
Joe_Crupi
Apr 15, 2004
To answer a few of the questions…

* 1 Gig of RAM in this G5…
* 50% used by Photoshop
* Stroke was inverted with Command + I shortcut
* Blur filter settings varied (I tried a few)

Perhaps I need to allocate more RAM in Photoshop? I’d rather not do this as 99% of the time I have either like to have Illustrator or InDesign open along with Suitcase, Safari, Entourage, iTunes and MSN Messenger.
R
Ram
Apr 15, 2004
Joe,

Well, if you are assigning 50% of your available memory to Photoshop, just keep in mind that it represents 50% of whatever is left after the OS and all those applications you have running use whatever they need. You don’t want to increase it too much either, or the System won’t have much room left later on.

If you want to keep all those apps running (and that’s perfectly understandable) the solution is to get more RAM. Then you could allocate more to Photoshop. It can use up to almost 2GB if you have, say, 4GB of RAM or more. If you get just 1 more GB of RAM, you could go to 80% for Photoshop
BH
bryan_hughes
Apr 15, 2004
Hi Joe,

I still can’t reproduce this, and have tried on several machines (both G4s and G5s). If there’s any information that you or anyone else should find, please pass that on. I’ll continue playing around with memory configurations.

Thanks,

-Bryan
JC
Joe_Crupi
Apr 15, 2004
Bryan,

Try opening a Hi-Res file, duplicating the Background layer, and then doing the instructions from my first post on the hi-res file (on a new layer).

Joe
RS
Rick_Stare
Apr 15, 2004
Joe,
I followed your instructions, but no problem encountered. G4 dual 1.2 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, AI CS and PS CS. Mac OS X 10.2.6.
* Rick
R
Ram
Apr 15, 2004
Joe,

Have you tried trashing the Photoshop preferences yet?
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Apr 16, 2004
Crash on Motion Blur, you would expect that won’t you!

Well I thought it was funny!

Let see if you guys can come up with a better one!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections