M
Posted By
me
Oct 21, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a png image with the checkerboard transparency already knocked out but Photoshop doesn’t treat the checkerboard like a selection and allows various tools to cover the entire image. What is the best way to get Photoshop to treat the checkerboard as a selection so I can use the "paste into" feature to insert a background picture into the checkerboard area?

I have an color png image with the unwanted parts in black and white. What is the best way to allow Photoshop to knockout the black and white parts and treat it as a selection so that I end up with a masked image containing only the colored foreground image (ready to insert a new background only into the formerly black and white areas)?

I have an png image with the unwanted parts painted with a color not included within the rest of the image. What is the best way to allow Photoshop to knockout the unique color and treat it as a selection so that I end up with a masked image containing only the foreground image?

Any assistance appreciated. Thanks.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

K
KatWoman
Oct 21, 2008
"M.L." wrote in message
I have a png image with the checkerboard transparency already knocked out but Photoshop doesn’t treat the checkerboard like a selection and allows various tools to cover the entire image. What is the best way to get Photoshop to treat the checkerboard as a selection so I can use the "paste into" feature to insert a background picture into the checkerboard area?

That makes no sense
leave the image on transparent background, double click to unlock it if it is a background layer
then paste your new background image
drag that layer under the object layer

I have an color png image with the unwanted parts in black and white. What is the best way to allow Photoshop to knockout the black and white parts and treat it as a selection so that I end up with a masked image containing only the colored foreground image (ready to insert a new background only into the formerly black and white areas)?
I have an png image with the unwanted parts painted with a color not included within the rest of the image. What is the best way to allow Photoshop to knockout the unique color and treat it as a selection so that I end up with a masked image containing only the foreground image?

select the color or colors you want to be transparent
select color range..move slider (or use lasso wand etc on add to selection) inverse selection

save for web
OR

or if the image is already transparent (grid shows)
control click the thumbnail on layer palette

THEN file save for web

choose png from dropdown
M
me
Oct 21, 2008

That makes no sense

What made no sense?

leave the image on transparent background, double click to unlock it if it is a background layer

That worked perfectly. Thanks.

select color range..move slider (or use lasso wand etc on add to selection) inverse selection

Unfortunately using the Color Range technique left a halo around the foreground object. I’ll save all my masks as a checkerboard png and use your first technique instead.
K
KatWoman
Oct 21, 2008
"M.L." wrote in message

That makes no sense

What made no sense?

That worked perfectly. Thanks.

select color range..move slider (or use lasso wand etc on add to selection)
inverse selection

Unfortunately using the Color Range technique left a halo around the foreground object. I’ll save all my masks as a checkerboard png and use your first technique instead.

once you learn to use the selection tools better you can eliminate the fringe (refine edge)
somepeople like pen tool or polygon lasso

glad one thing worked for you

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections