U
Posted By
ujjc001
Jul 8, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I can make regular camo, and pixelate it, but I can’t make real digital camouflage like seen below.

http://www.rockywoods.com/camouflage/Green-digital-camo.jpg

I’ve heard a brush can help, but i would like something more random- or maybe that’s not the point. Do I have to create a huge 2500 px pattern and do this all by hand?
Thoughts?
Thanks.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

K
KatWoman
Jul 8, 2008
wrote in message
I can make regular camo, and pixelate it, but I can’t make real digital camouflage like seen below.

why not just use that photo of the texture??
I’ve heard a brush can help, but i would like something more random- or maybe that’s not the point. Do I have to create a huge 2500 px pattern and do this all by hand?
Thoughts?
Thanks.
U
ujjc001
Jul 9, 2008
On Jul 8, 1:52 pm, "KatWoman" wrote:
wrote in message

I’ve heard a brush can help, but i would like something more random- or maybe that’s not the point.  Do I have to create a huge 2500 px pattern and do this all by hand?
Thoughts?
Thanks.- Hide quoted text –

– Show quoted text –

because it looks like crap
I need to be able to create it and use it as objects in photoshop- Really, would you use that graphic for something important?
K
KatWoman
Jul 9, 2008
wrote in message
On Jul 8, 1:52 pm, "KatWoman" wrote:
wrote in message

Thoughts?

– Show quoted text –

I need to be able to create it and use it as objects in photoshop- Really, would you use that graphic for something important?

can you say a little more about what you are trying to do ?? will this pattern be used to "skin" an object?

and how large is that camo pattern going to be on the object? if it is reduced in scale onto a person clothes etc it would not look bad

or you are trying to create a backgound large area of camo?
U
ujjc001
Jul 10, 2008
On Jul 9, 12:56 pm, "KatWoman" wrote:
wrote in message

wrote in message

Thoughts?

– Show quoted text –

can you say a little more about what you are trying to do ?? will this pattern be used to "skin" an object?
and how large is that camo pattern going to be on the object? if it is reduced in scale onto a person clothes etc it would not look bad
or you are trying to create a backgound large area of camo?- Hide quoted text –
– Show quoted text –

Again, no offense, but I don’t think it matters much what I’m going to use it for, I need to know how to make it. I may use it for 10 different things-
Geesh- what’s the deal with all the questions. It’s a simple question- how do I make it. I can do the clouds, sponge, mosaic, sharpen sharpen but that’s not what I want. It won’t look like the sample. I need to make something look like the sample. If you don’t know how, say so, or don’t say anything. Don’t say "why not just use the sample" because, gee, I probably would have if that would suffice but it won’t. Like I said, no offense, but come on, don’t skirt the issue, I just want to know if it can be done (and I don’t mean manually)
sorry, you caught me on a bad morning.
K
keepout
Jul 10, 2008
On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 07:49:38 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Again, no offense, but I don’t think it matters much what I’m going to use it for, I need to know how to make it. I may use it for 10 different things-
Geesh- what’s the deal with all the questions. It’s a simple question- how do I make it. I can do the clouds, sponge, mosaic, sharpen sharpen but that’s not what I want. It won’t look like the sample. I need to make something look like the sample. If you don’t know how, say so, or don’t say anything. Don’t say "why not just use the sample" because, gee, I probably would have if that would suffice but it won’t. Like I said, no offense, but come on, don’t skirt the issue, I just want to know if it can be done (and I don’t mean manually)

there’s 2 things you can do with the example. Least 2 I would do. I went and saved it myself because I figure I will make a pattern swatch out of it for painting. ie:
1 Paint bucket with this pattern.
2 as a paint brush.

as for recreating this with any paint program, I would think impossible. If you notice, it seems to be a photograph of an actual camo uniform with wrinkles to the left, and hires threads horizontal.
And what looks like some hires vertical snags.

I’d say the complexity of the pattern is what makes it next to impossible for a paint program to duplicate.
A paint program uses repetitive patterns to create images. That doesn’t exist in such a large pattern. Best you can do is make a brush or paint style from it.
Then again you could try layers with the all the different colors, I haven’t found the count colors option, but I can see there’s more than the 4 obvious colors, the wrinkles = shades out side of the few basic brown, green, black, tan colors.
Use the different layer modes, add – subtract, hue, color, etc.. to modify each layer of color separately the way it’s done with needle and thread. —
more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html
U
ujjc001
Jul 10, 2008
On Jul 10, 10:37 am, wrote:
Again, no offense, but I don’t think it matters much what I’m going to use it for, I need to know how to make it.  I may use it for 10 different things-
Geesh- what’s the deal with all the questions.  It’s a simple question- how do I make it.  I can do the clouds, sponge, mosaic, sharpen sharpen but that’s not what I want.  It won’t look like the sample.  I need to make something look like the sample.  If you don’t know how, say so, or don’t say anything.  Don’t say "why not just use the sample" because, gee, I probably would have if that would suffice but it won’t.  Like I said, no offense, but come on, don’t skirt the issue, I just want to know if it can be done (and I don’t mean manually)

there’s 2 things you can do with the example. Least 2 I would do. I went and saved it myself because I figure I will make a pattern swatch out of it for painting. ie:
2 as a paint brush.

as for recreating this with any paint program, I would think impossible. If you notice, it seems to be a photograph of an actual camo uniform with wrinkles to the left, and hires threads horizontal.
And what looks like some hires vertical snags.

I’d say the complexity of the pattern is what makes it next to impossible for a paint program to duplicate.
A paint program uses repetitive patterns to create images. That doesn’t exist in such a large pattern. Best you can do is make a brush or paint style from it.
Then again you could try layers with the all the different colors, I haven’t found the count colors option, but I can see there’s more than the 4 obvious colors, the wrinkles = shades out side of the few basic brown, green, black, tan colors.
Use the different layer modes, add – subtract, hue, color, etc.. to modify each layer of color separately the way it’s done with needle and thread. —
more pix @http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html

WOW— maybe I need to be more specific. Yes, it is an image of actual digital camo colthing, or at least, fabric. I don’t want to copy it EXACTLY- I want to make digital camo in photoshop or other program that looks somewhat like the above image. I don’t want the folds, creeses, threads, or anything else from the image. What I want it something like you said that actually made sense, a brush that will make the digital cammo look, with the general way the pixels (of the camo, not "actual pixels")are in relation to each other- i.e. not a pixelated normal camouflage.

a 1600px square is enough.
Ok, I give up, I don’t think anyone understands, sorry. Though, you gave the closest response seemingly to almost fully understand, so I give you credit there.
GW
Graham Waiffers
Jul 10, 2008
I want to make digital camo in photoshop or other
program that looks somewhat like the above image

Other program? Illustrator is great at making repetitive, geometric patterns. Do you have a copy? It also will do a colour, vector trace, with adjustable numbers of colours. ANd you can find tutorials on line that will help you lay out a repeateable patterns so you can camo the entire digital world.

Please don’t yell at me if this answer is not what you wanted, expected, deserved, wished or hoped for.

Tim Tayshen

The poster formerly known as Graham Waiffers, Roger Thaat, Watson deMeneux or Jack Skwaht.
K
KatWoman
Jul 10, 2008
wrote in message
On Jul 9, 12:56 pm, "KatWoman" wrote:
wrote in message

wrote in message

Thoughts?

– Show quoted text –

or you are trying to create a backgound large area of camo?- Hide quoted text –

– Show quoted text –

gl hf
K
keepout
Jul 10, 2008
On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 11:06:27 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

2 as a paint brush.

WOW— maybe I need to be more specific. Yes, it is an image of actual digital camo colthing, or at least, fabric. I don’t want to copy it EXACTLY- I want to make digital camo in photoshop or other program that looks somewhat like the above image. I don’t want the folds, creeses, threads, or anything else from the image. What I want it something like you said that actually made sense, a brush that will make the digital cammo look, with the general way the pixels (of the camo, not "actual pixels")are in relation to each other- i.e. not a pixelated normal camouflage.

a 1600px square is enough.
????????????????

banner crop a portion [without the wrinkles], use enlarge to 1600 pixels. Save it as a psd.
then I assume you have a second image in mind to apply this to. use Janee’s http://www.myjanee.com/ holiday text post card tutorial to insert the camo in just the right area’s the way it is with uniforms, disappearing around the seams.

I understand what you want, the ‘non repeating’ pattern that small swatches create.
But no matter what you do, I’d use a ‘micro’ 6 pixel herringbone pattern I picked up from the web as an example. comes with 3 colors, black, white & gray in a 3×2 pixel array. This is totally repetitive, but due to it’s width and height [less than a 16 x 16 grid], It does have texture and a unique herringbone pattern.

You might be able to create the same effect [it’s a pattern] with a 3×2 grid of green, black, tan, and brown

Ok, I give up, I don’t think anyone understands, sorry. Though, you gave the closest response seemingly to almost fully understand, so I give you credit there.

A
Art
Jul 10, 2008
Wow, dude, I thought it was a simple question, too. Can’t imagine why you’re getting the third degree about your intentions.

Off the top of my head, here’s what I’d do.

Paint a random pattern, dark on a white background. Spots. Stripes. Zigzags. Maybe some big blobs and do smaller spots with smaller brushes.

Two things; not sure which I’d do first: Turn it into squares, using a pixellation filter (MOSAIC in PScs), and turn it into two colors. (In old Photoshop, MODE settings offered "bitmap," two colors, along with your 256-shade grayscale, and the 3x8bit standard RGB. That made it easy.)

You might try making the two colors by maximizing contrast, and you can use the slider to adjust colors in the middle, to decide whether they become the light color or the dark one. Or use LEVELS and slide the black and white markers together.

You should eventually have a black and white square-pixelled pattern like one of the colors of the camo. Make two or three of these (or use the same one, maybe rotated and offset), stack them in layers. Make your background color, and set each layer to a new color, brown or gray or black or green. You could blur the sample you have a little (to average colors) and use eyedropper to capture each color. Maybe set layers to Multiply. Adjust transparency of each.

These corners are all slightly rounded. One easy way to do that, with your two color image, is this: Blur a little. Then go to levels (or contrast) and adjust for max contrast, till you get back to your two colors. Sliders will adjust size (and corner roundness, to some extent).

Make sense?

(I tried this before I clicked "send" and here’s a couple things I found helped:
– paint in only about a quarter of the total area.
– Don’t use MULTIPLY, use DARKEN.
– Stack your layers so the darker colors are on the top, and they’ll all show.
– Paint less on the darker layer(s).
– No transparency.

I actually came up with a pretty good result on the first try, but with a few more tries I’m sure it could be much better.)

** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **
A
Art
Jul 10, 2008
Just realized in my CS there is the "bitmap" mode option, which can change everything to absolute black or white. It’s grayed unless you’re in the "grayscale" mode already.

Using too many versions on too many computers at once; I’m confused sometimes.

MR
Mike Russell
Jul 10, 2008

Like I said, no offense, but come on, don’t skirt the
issue, I just want to know if it can be done (and I don’t mean manually)

Yes, it can be done. Here is how I would go about it.

1) Create some grayscale noise and scale, warp, use levels and curves to get an interesting pattern that resembles your final camo.
2) Posterize it to about 8 levels
3) resize it to a relatively small size, so that the pixels have the desired relationship to the overall pattern
4) resize it to your final size, using nearest neighbor sampling
5) create color by defining a duotone or tritone with the colors you want.
6) apply a canvas texture to it
7) for a warped cloth effect, use the liquify filter

Mike Russell – http://www.curvemeister.com
K
KatWoman
Jul 11, 2008
"Art" wrote in message
Wow, dude, I thought it was a simple question, too. Can’t imagine why you’re getting the third degree about your intentions.

Off the top of my head, here’s what I’d do.

Paint a random pattern, dark on a white background. Spots. Stripes. Zigzags. Maybe some big blobs and do smaller spots with smaller brushes.
Two things; not sure which I’d do first: Turn it into squares, using a pixellation filter (MOSAIC in PScs), and turn it into two colors. (In old Photoshop, MODE settings offered "bitmap," two colors, along with your 256-shade grayscale, and the 3x8bit standard RGB. That made it easy.)
You might try making the two colors by maximizing contrast, and you can use the slider to adjust colors in the middle, to decide whether they become the light color or the dark one. Or use LEVELS and slide the black and white markers together.

You should eventually have a black and white square-pixelled pattern like one of the colors of the camo. Make two or three of these (or use the same one, maybe rotated and offset), stack them in layers. Make your background color, and set each layer to a new color, brown or gray or black or green. You could blur the sample you have a little (to average colors) and use eyedropper to capture each color. Maybe set layers to Multiply. Adjust transparency of each.

These corners are all slightly rounded. One easy way to do that, with your two color image, is this: Blur a little. Then go to levels (or contrast) and adjust for max contrast, till you get back to your two colors. Sliders will adjust size (and corner roundness, to some extent).
Make sense?

(I tried this before I clicked "send" and here’s a couple things I found helped:
– paint in only about a quarter of the total area.
– Don’t use MULTIPLY, use DARKEN.
– Stack your layers so the darker colors are on the top, and they’ll all show.
– Paint less on the darker layer(s).
– No transparency.

I actually came up with a pretty good result on the first try, but with a few more tries I’m sure it could be much better.)

Can’t imagine why
you’re getting the third degree about your intentions.

because I need to know if he needs a seamless pattern that matches upon repeating
DUH
S
samandjanet
Jul 11, 2008
wrote:

Thoughts?
Thanks.

It’s not identical to the digital cammo you’ve posted, but this might help a bit.

First open a new image, 100×100 at around 100 pixels/inch resolution.

Next set your foreground colour to a dark olive green and your background to a sand colour.

Now go to Filter>Render>Clouds to creat a random dispersal of the colours.

Next Image>Adjust>Levels and pull the lack and white sliders together to create a stronger contrast in the image – Not too much as it will spoil the colours.

Now Filter>Pixelate>Mosaic, and set the cell size to about 50

And finally apply a gaussian blur with a 2 pixel radius.
B
Bigguy
Jul 11, 2008
(used to be) Fat Sam wrote:
wrote:

Thoughts?
Thanks.

It’s not identical to the digital cammo you’ve posted, but this might help a bit.

Next set your foreground colour to a dark olive green and your background to a sand colour.

Next Image>Adjust>Levels and pull the lack and white sliders together to create a stronger contrast in the image – Not too much as it will spoil the colours.

A final Motion Blur of 0 deg 36-40 pixels gives the ‘grad’ effect of digi-camo.

Guy
U
ujjc001
Jul 11, 2008
On Jul 11, 7:53 am, Bigguy wrote:

wrote:

I’ve heard a brush can help, but i would like something more random- or maybe that’s not the point.  Do I have to create a huge 2500 px pattern and do this all by hand?
Thoughts?
Thanks.

Guy- Hide quoted text –

– Show quoted text –

Finally, results, Thanks all. Sorry Kat- but what I do with it in the end didn’t matter, if I wanted it to repeat I (probably) would have said so, I think you tried to read way too much into what I asked. The last posters understood my intentions. I haven’t tried it yet but I’ll give it all a shot tonight. Thanks all-
Say, if you have results, can I peek at them? Can you post links? Thanks all!
J
S
samandjanet
Jul 11, 2008
wrote:
On Jul 11, 7:53 am, Bigguy wrote:

wrote:

Thoughts?
Thanks.

Guy- Hide quoted text –

– Show quoted text –

Finally, results, Thanks all. Sorry Kat- but what I do with it in the end didn’t matter, if I wanted it to repeat I (probably) would have said so, I think you tried to read way too much into what I asked. The last posters understood my intentions. I haven’t tried it yet but I’ll give it all a shot tonight. Thanks all-
Say, if you have results, can I peek at them? Can you post links?

sure…
http://www.savepentney.co.uk/misc/digitalcammo.jpg
K
KatWoman
Jul 11, 2008
"(used to be) Fat Sam" wrote in message
wrote:

wrote:

Thoughts?
Thanks.

Guy- Hide quoted text –

– Show quoted text –

Say, if you have results, can I peek at them? Can you post links?

sure…

YW I guess
so you were just trying to re-create the photo you posted?? and like I said first why not just use it >>> it’s already done

if you want that fabric look you have to add a texture to the image too in addition to what they all said
S
samandjanet
Jul 11, 2008
KatWoman wrote:
"(used to be) Fat Sam" wrote in

wrote:

Thoughts?
Thanks.

Guy- Hide quoted text –

– Show quoted text –

Finally, results, Thanks all. Sorry Kat- but what I do with it in the end didn’t matter, if I wanted it to repeat I (probably) would have said so, I think you tried to read way too much into what I asked. The last posters understood my intentions. I haven’t tried it yet but I’ll give it all a shot tonight. Thanks all- Say, if you have results, can I peek at them? Can you post links?

sure…

YW I guess
so you were just trying to re-create the photo you posted?? and like I said first why not just use it >>> it’s already done
if you want that fabric look you have to add a texture to the image too in addition to what they all said

I don’t think the OP’s reasons for not using the posted image really matters to be honest.
Perhaps he’s just curious and wants to learn how something like this is created.

For what it’s worth, I’ve refined the technique a bit to give a cammo offect closer to the one posted by the OP.
Using the technique I’ve already mentioned, just add one extra step.

After you do the Filter>Pixelate>Mosaic, go to Filter>Artistic>Cutout, then finish off with the blur stages.

In this example, I’ve also added a fabric style texture as per Katwomans suggestion.
http://www.savepentney.co.uk/misc/digitalcammo2.jpg
A
Anon
Jul 11, 2008
"(used to be) Fat Sam" wrote in message
wrote:

Thoughts?
Thanks.

The number’s didn’t seem right, so I tried this. Render Clouds doesn’t give you much variation. And you end up with 4 blocks of color (50px mosaic in 100px square).
I believe a new image at 1000 x 1000 pixels was meant.
Scott in Dunedin
S
samandjanet
Jul 11, 2008
Anon wrote:

Thoughts?
Thanks.

Now go to Filter>Render>Clouds to creat a random dispersal of the colours. Next Image>Adjust>Levels and pull the lack and white sliders together to create a stronger contrast in the image – Not too much as it will spoil the colours.

The number’s didn’t seem right, so I tried this. Render Clouds doesn’t give you much variation. And you end up with 4 blocks of color (50px mosaic in 100px square).
Scott in Dunedin

Whoops, you’re absolutely right Scott.
When I did the two samples, they were 1000×1000 at 100 pixel/inch resolution.
I didn’t realise I had mistyped that in my instructions.
U
ujjc001
Jul 11, 2008
On Jul 11, 1:25 pm, "\(used to be\) Fat Sam"
wrote:
Anon wrote:

Thoughts?
Thanks.

Now go to Filter>Render>Clouds to creat a random dispersal of the colours. Next Image>Adjust>Levels and pull the lack and white sliders together to create a stronger contrast in the image – Not too much as it will spoil the colours.

The number’s didn’t seem right, so I tried this.  Render Clouds doesn’t give you much variation.  And you end up with 4 blocks of color (50px mosaic in 100px square).
Scott in Dunedin

I didn’t realise I had mistyped that in my instructions.- Hide quoted text –
– Show quoted text –

used to be- that second example is spot on! Well, the ‘fabric’ looks could be done w/out. the original image was actually of fabric, but I just wanted to make the pattern, not the fabric look, but props to you for getting that in there too. I’m going to try to recreate this, one side note, if your camo2 jpg is 1000×1000 then I’d want to make the pattern smaller, ie, yours (and the original) are like looking at the fabric from 3 inches, I want more of a 3 foot look, but the steps should be the same, just smaller stuff.
Thanks all!
S
samandjanet
Jul 11, 2008
wrote:
On Jul 11, 1:25 pm, "\(used to be\) Fat Sam"
wrote:
Anon wrote:

Thoughts?
Thanks.

Scott in Dunedin

– Show quoted text –

used to be- that second example is spot on! Well, the ‘fabric’ looks could be done w/out. the original image was actually of fabric, but I just wanted to make the pattern, not the fabric look, but props to you for getting that in there too. I’m going to try to recreate this, one side note, if your camo2 jpg is 1000×1000 then I’d want to make the pattern smaller, ie, yours (and the original) are like looking at the fabric from 3 inches, I want more of a 3 foot look, but the steps should be the same, just smaller stuff.
Thanks all!

Yeah, just adjust the canvas size, resolution and size of the mosaic pixels accordingly.
Glad I was able to help, and thanks for a fun challenge.
U
ujjc001
Jul 11, 2008
On Jul 11, 1:42 pm, "\(used to be\) Fat Sam"
wrote:
wrote:
On Jul 11, 1:25 pm, "\(used to be\) Fat Sam"
wrote:
Anon wrote:

Thoughts?
Thanks.

Scott in Dunedin

– Show quoted text –

used to be- that second example is spot on!  Well, the ‘fabric’ looks could be done w/out.  the original image was actually of fabric, but I just wanted to make the pattern,  not the fabric look, but props to you for getting that in there too.  I’m going to try to recreate this, one side note, if your camo2 jpg is 1000×1000 then I’d want to make the pattern smaller, ie, yours (and the original) are like looking at the fabric from 3 inches, I want more of a 3 foot look, but the steps should be the same, just smaller stuff.
Thanks all!

Yeah, just adjust the canvas size, resolution and size of the mosaic pixels accordingly.
Glad I was able to help, and thanks for a fun challenge.- Hide quoted text –
– Show quoted text –

Bummer, the cutout is too limiting to make the pattern "small"- argugh.. this is very non-trival, there’s some serious math behind real "pixel camo". humm…
D
dvus
Jul 11, 2008
wrote:
On Jul 11, 1:42 pm, "\(used to be\) Fat Sam"

Bummer, the cutout is too limiting to make the pattern "small"- argugh.. this is very non-trival, there’s some serious math behind real "pixel camo". humm…

Don’t know if it helps, but the Paint Daub filter with a big brush and low sharpness eliminates the square edges.

dvus
K
keepout
Jul 12, 2008
On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 19:52:24 -0400, "dvus" wrote:

wrote:
On Jul 11, 1:42 pm, "\(used to be\) Fat Sam"

Don’t know if it helps, but the Paint Daub filter with a big brush and low sharpness eliminates the square edges.

if you take a close look at the jpg itself, you can see that the entire pattern is made up just a few different 16×16 swatches.
ie:
1 all green swatch,
1 all black
1 all tan
1 all gray

then a few odd ones with portions of gray, black or green. You might be able to create your random patterning with maybe 10-15 brushes. And the photo merge option. select all 15 brushes, hit photo merge interactive, and position the squares as you want them. Repeat & stir as necessary. —

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections