Arrow key nudging is gone?

Posted By
May 2, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have PS 7 .. and am trying the CS2 tryout. Normally, I can use the move button and move an object and then nudge it just where I want it with the arrow keys. That doesn’t appear to work in CS2 .. drag and drop only? Geez … I surely hope not.

How does one get the arrow keys to respond with the move function?

thanks,
Nancy

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RR
Ron_Raymond
May 2, 2005
I’m having the same problem. Is there a way to turn this feature back on?
May 2, 2005
I can’t see anything in preferences. I have to keep going back to PS 7 to get my work done. 🙁

wrote in message
I’m having the same problem. Is there a way to turn this feature back on?
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
May 2, 2005
Nancy & Ron,

No problems seen here, using the PS CS2 tryout…which for all intents and purposes is the retail version with 30-day timeout. It seems a stupid question, but are you by any chance trying to nudge the background layer? I’ve tripped up a time or few before and done that.

Darl
May 2, 2005
Nope .. I double checked. I can go back to PS 7 with the same file and it works fine. Return to CS2 and nothing will work with arrow keys.

Nancy

wrote in message
Nancy & Ron,

No problems seen here, using the PS CS2 tryout…which for all intents and
purposes is the retail version with 30-day timeout. It seems a stupid question, but are you by any chance trying to nudge the background layer? I’ve tripped up a time or few before and done that.
Darl
CC
Chris_Cox
May 2, 2005
Check the keyboard driver (that’s all I can think of).
JJ
John Joslin
May 2, 2005
Nudging won’t work if the Move Tool is not selected but you imply that it is. Could it be that you unintentionally shifted to another tool with a keystroke?
CK
Christine_Krof_Shock
May 2, 2005
I had trouble with both keyboard (Old Microsoft Natural) and a Logitech Marble mouse…downloaded new drivers and things worked fine
May 2, 2005
there’s a thought .. although PS7 works just fine. Maybe CS2 has a driver requirement not found in PS7. thanks!

Nancy

wrote in message
I had trouble with both keyboard (Old Microsoft Natural) and a Logitech
Marble mouse…downloaded new drivers and things worked fine
P
Phosphor
May 2, 2005
What about if you temporarily press your CTRL key…can you nudge then?
DM
dave_milbut
May 3, 2005
is your num-lock on? 🙂
RR
Ron_Raymond
May 3, 2005
Same deal.. I have a layer selected of a picture that I’m trying to reposition – not the background. I have the Move tool selected, but when I press the arrow keys on the keyboard (not the number pad keys) nothing happens. It’s worked for me before in PS6, but now in CS2, no such luck. This is crazy.
DM
dave_milbut
May 3, 2005
nudging is working here. note you must have some selection on the layer! (I know you said that ron, just reitterating.)
DM
dave_milbut
May 4, 2005
selected as in crtl-a (select all) or made a selection with one of the marquee tools ON the image? able to see the ‘marching ants’ of a selection?
RR
Ron_Raymond
May 4, 2005
Yes.. the image is selected with the rectangular marquee tool on layer 1 (not the background layer)
DM
dave_milbut
May 4, 2005
pretty weird ron. covering all the bases… are you on a laptop? do you maybe need to hold the Fn key while using the arrow keys? have you tried with both sets of arrow keys? is num lock on?

dave
RR
Ron_Raymond
May 4, 2005
Yeah, very weird. I’m on an HP desktop system. There are a set of 4 cursor keys aside from the number keys on the keyboard. The cursor keys don’t do anything at all. The number keys (with the num-lock on) will change the brightness of the image. With num-lock off, they do nothing. The cursor keys work in other applications, so it’s not a keyboard issue.
DM
dave_milbut
May 4, 2005
have you tried updating the keyboard drivers anyway?
RR
Ron_Raymond
May 5, 2005
Did that earlier today.. just in case.. no change.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
May 5, 2005
Does your computer have any keyboard utilities installed (for example, to take advantage of the multimedia keys, browser or email buttons, sleep button, etc. on some keyboards)?
RR
Ron_Raymond
May 5, 2005
yeah.. it does have buttons that control sound.. different than the cursor keys though – and nudging as worked in previous versions of PS that I’ve had. has something changed in the new version?
DM
dave_milbut
May 5, 2005
has something changed in the new version?

it’s always possible something’s changed. try loading up default MS keyboard drivers and see if the keys start working. if they do, you need to write to the keyboard manufacturer about updating their drivers.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
May 5, 2005
Disable the keyboard utility that handles the buttons from task manager and see if the keyboard arrow keys work in PS.
H
Ho
May 5, 2005
You must have a selection in order to move with the cursor keys.

Not if the Move tool is active, unless CS2 has changed this.
RR
Ron_Raymond
May 5, 2005
Up until the day before yesterday, I had been using native microsoft keyboard drivers because this is a relatively new install of xp. Yesterday I installed the HP keyboard drivers just to see if that would work. Both had the same result.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections