ND
Posted By
Norm Dresner
May 14, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Let’s say I have an image composed of multiple layers combined with various blending options and intermixed with various adjustment layers — IOW nothing unusual.

I want to apply a filter to the entire composite image but I don’t want to flatten it because I want to be able to still modify individual layers later.

It’s my understanding that this is impossible in any version of Photoshop. Is this true? If it makes any difference, I have CS2.

TIA
Norm

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

K
KatWoman
May 14, 2008
"Norm Dresner" wrote in message
Let’s say I have an image composed of multiple layers combined with various
blending options and intermixed with various adjustment layers — IOW nothing unusual.

I want to apply a filter to the entire composite image but I don’t want to flatten it because I want to be able to still modify individual layers later.

It’s my understanding that this is impossible in any version of Photoshop. Is this true? If it makes any difference, I have CS2.

TIA
Norm>

I don’t think you can, I do select all>> copy merged>> then paste then I use the filter on that layer

if the doc is getting too large to work with fast, I use save as>>> flatten it and make a new image then continue
J
Joel
May 14, 2008
"Norm Dresner" wrote:

Let’s say I have an image composed of multiple layers combined with various blending options and intermixed with various adjustment layers — IOW nothing unusual.

TIA
Norm

Lets say *most* commands (not all depending on where to use the command) usually only apply to the current layer, and of course it will effect *all* layer below it.

IOW, it doesn’t matter if you have 1 layer or 1000 layers, if you apply the filter to the 1st layer then the rest of 999 other will be effected (not applying directly to those lower layers, but they will be effected).

And that’s why most Photoshop users love and take advantage of LAYER.
T
Tacit
May 14, 2008
In article ,
Joel wrote:

IOW, it doesn’t matter if you have 1 layer or 1000 layers, if you apply the filter to the 1st layer then the rest of 999 other will be effected (not applying directly to those lower layers, but they will be effected).

Actually, that’s false, as simple experimentation demonstrates. Applying a filter to one layer does not change underlying layers in the slightest.

Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
N
nomail
May 15, 2008
Norm Dresner wrote:

That does indeed make a difference. In CS2, all you can do is make a new layer on top of the others, which is a merged copy of the underlying layers. You can apply the filter on that layer, but if you want to change something in the underlaying layers later, you have to trash the merged layer and do it again.

In CS3 you can select all layers and turn them into one Smart Object. Now you can have a Smart Filter linked to that object. Change anything in one of the layers of the smart object, and the filtered result will also change.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.com
ND
Norm Dresner
May 15, 2008
"Johan W. Elzenga" wrote in message
| Norm Dresner wrote:
|
| > Let’s say I have an image composed of multiple layers combined with various
| > blending options and intermixed with various adjustment layers — IOW | > nothing unusual.
| >
| > I want to apply a filter to the entire composite image but I don’t want to
| > flatten it because I want to be able to still modify individual layers | > later.
| >
| > It’s my understanding that this is impossible in any version of Photoshop.
| > Is this true? If it makes any difference, I have CS2. |
| That does indeed make a difference. In CS2, all you can do is make a new | layer on top of the others, which is a merged copy of the underlying | layers. You can apply the filter on that layer, but if you want to | change something in the underlaying layers later, you have to trash the | merged layer and do it again.
|
| In CS3 you can select all layers and turn them into one Smart Object. | Now you can have a Smart Filter linked to that object. Change anything | in one of the layers of the smart object, and the filtered result will | also change.
|
|

CS2 has Smart Objects too. But nothing like "Smart Filter"?

Norm
N
nomail
May 15, 2008
Norm Dresner wrote:

| That does indeed make a difference. In CS2, all you can do is make a new | layer on top of the others, which is a merged copy of the underlying | layers. You can apply the filter on that layer, but if you want to | change something in the underlaying layers later, you have to trash the | merged layer and do it again.
|
| In CS3 you can select all layers and turn them into one Smart Object. | Now you can have a Smart Filter linked to that object. Change anything | in one of the layers of the smart object, and the filtered result will | also change.
|
|

CS2 has Smart Objects too. But nothing like "Smart Filter"?

Nope, that exactly the point. Smart Filters are filters applied on Smart Objects. That is something new in CS3. If you apply a filter to a Smart Object in CS2, you get a message that the Smart Object will have to be rendered to a normal layer first.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.com

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections