Posted By
Stardog
Aug 2, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello everyone,

I’ve recently completed a logo for a friend and sent it to him as 2 photoshop files (rgb & cmyk) and a flattened tiff (cmyk). The photoshop cmyk file is fine, but (he claims) the tiff file is washed in a different lighter shade of color (the main colors are yellow and gold, the tiff file is "orangy" – the tiff file uses no compression). I’ve checked the tiff file in a number of different aps on my system (PS 6 & 7, illustrator) and can find no major color discrepancy.. There is a subtle flatness between the rgb and cmyk – but that is expected. He says the tiff file is "orangy". Before I freak, is there any color setting which would produce this? I haven’t had a hardcopy proof done; (next step) but the orange wash-out appears only on his screen. Any ideas what this is? Is it my settings or his?

Thanks for your time,

Stardog

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MG
michael.gcollins
Aug 2, 2003
His monitor is not set correctly
for proper color viewing??

Mike C

"Stardog" wrote in message
Hello everyone,

I’ve recently completed a logo for a friend and sent it to him as 2 photoshop files (rgb & cmyk) and a flattened tiff (cmyk). The photoshop cmyk file is fine, but (he claims) the tiff file is washed in a different lighter shade of color (the main colors are yellow and gold, the tiff file is "orangy" – the tiff file uses no compression). I’ve checked the tiff file in a number of different aps on my system (PS 6 & 7, illustrator) and can find no major color discrepancy.. There is a subtle flatness between the rgb and cmyk – but that is expected. He says the tiff file is "orangy". Before I freak, is there any color setting which would produce this? I haven’t had a hardcopy proof done; (next step) but the orange wash-out appears only on his screen. Any ideas what this is? Is it my settings or his?

Thanks for your time,

Stardog
MR
Mike Russell
Aug 2, 2003
"Stardog" wrote in message
Hello everyone,

My first thought is that he is viewing an image created using Adobe RGB in sRGB or some other color space. This will cause a loss of color saturation, though it is somewhat subtle. For this reason alone I stopped using Adobe RGB, switching to sRGB, some time ago.

My second thought is if he is on a Mac and you are on a PC, he may be viewing the image using a gamma 1.8 color space, which will make the image look very washed out.

There are any number of combinations of working space profiles and display profiles that can cause this problem.

You could try to straighten out his color setup. If nothing else he should have profile mismatch set to "Ask when opening", and working space set to sRGB.

But at the end of the day it’s probably easiest to send him an sRGB image and an Apple RGB image and let him pick the one that looks best on his system. You can create these using "Convert to Profile".

Mike Russell
http://www.curvemeister.com
http://www.zocalo.net/~mgr
http://geigy.2y.net
H
Hecate
Aug 3, 2003
On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 17:12:18 -0400, Stardog
wrote:

Is it my settings or his?
Thanks for your time,
Either or both. It depends on how the monitors are profiled and who exact the colour profiles are.

Hecate
(Fried computers a specialty)
K
Kevin
Aug 3, 2003
in article
wrote on 8/2/03 2:12 PM:

Hello everyone,

I’ve recently completed a logo for a friend and sent it to him as 2 photoshop files …

"Chuckle ® " is a registered trademark of ArtistMike.com

":^) ®

Mike

* Logo Design *
Put some fun in your next logo!

Site at: http://www.artistmike.com

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections