CS2 Suite Beta – how to uninstall successfully ?

HM
Posted By
Henrik_Meier
Apr 29, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi. I had the CS2 Suite Beta. Even after uninstalling it, i am not able to install the new Photoshop CS2 Tryout (details below). I can install the tryout on a different PC, but not on the one where the beta was. Do you know how i can really clean the PC of the old beta?

Details: Even after uninstalling the CS2 beta through Windows software settings, i noticed: – Photoshop CS2 beta still starts, but when it is completely there, a message says that name or serial are missing, and it closes.
– ImageReady can completely be used (but cannot start Photoshop from there, i get the same abovementioned message.
– Bridge seems completely gone.
– The Photoshop CS2 Tryout will not start, will only flash a fully white program screen without any splash screen, then stop with a "problem" message.

I looked in the C-drive and in the CS2-beta-drive and folders what i could delete, searching for files that include "cs2" for example. I deleted a lot, rebooted – but still cannot start the Tryout.

Do you have any tips how to get rid of the CS2 beta? And Registry things?

Thanks a lot!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JO
Jim_Oblak
Apr 29, 2005
Have you tried reaching your contact at Adobe or are you using a pirated version and you don’t care to ask Adobe for help? 😉
HM
Henrik_Meier
Apr 29, 2005
I am a journalist, but in my country don’t have much contact.
HM
Henrik_Meier
Apr 29, 2005
I want to add one more thing: I just browsed through the registry and removed hundreds of hints to Photoshop-CS2-versions that had been un-installed before (the beta and the tryout).
Then i rebooted and installed the tryout again – again in a completely new folder. But same problem like before: It starts only for about 10 seconds, then the "problem" window".
So really – how could i get a system that works? Any hints would be wonderful. Thanks!
DM
Don_McCahill
Apr 29, 2005
You should talk to someone at Adobe. Perhaps calling support will help. I cannot believe that they will try to charge a journalist for something like this.

Good luck with it.

Don McCahill
T
TikiTim
Apr 29, 2005
HM
Henrik_Meier
Apr 29, 2005
TikiTim, thanks for the links, i will try them and report back later.
HM
Henrik_Meier
Apr 29, 2005
Tim,
thanks,
now i followed all the steps for manual un-installation for Photoshop CS2 and Creative Suite 2 from those articles. (Most folders and registry keys were already gone when i looked.)
But i still have the same problem: Can fully install Photoshop CS2 Tryout, but it crashes 10 seconds after doubleclicking to start Photoshop.
Bridge and ImageReady seem to work, but cannot go to Photoshop from there. Once i had a software that wouldn’t run because i had too MUCH RAM. Now i have 4 GB RAM (Win XP, SP1, all hotfixes). But Photoshop isn’t known to frown at RAM, right ?
I also have CS1 Suite and Elements 3 installed.
Thanks again!
SB
Scott_Byer
Apr 29, 2005
Hmm. Look under Program Files for folders from the other apps part of the package – Bridge, Help Center, and make sure those got removed as well.

You may also want to try something like RegCleaner to really scour out all the registry entries that shouldn’t be there anymore after an uninstall.

-Scott

wrote:
I want to add one more thing: I just browsed through the registry and removed hundreds of hints to Photoshop-CS2-versions that had been un-installed before (the beta and the tryout).
Then i rebooted and installed the tryout again – again in a completely new folder. But same problem like before: It starts only for about 10 seconds, then the "problem" window".
So really – how could i get a system that works? Any hints would be wonderful. Thanks!
SB
Scott_Byer
Apr 29, 2005
Hmm. Maybe there’s a stale preference file being left around? Have you manually killed the preference files?

A next step would be to uninstall *all* Adobe applications, remove the Program Files/Common/Adobe folder and re-install all of them.

-Scott
HM
Henrik_Meier
Apr 29, 2005
Scott, thank you!

I did manually remove all what was left of all of the CS2 files. I also did delete all the reference files in several rounds.

I wonder if it can have to do with the previous activation of the CS2 beta suite. That had been activated like a regular product.
HM
Henrik_Meier
Apr 30, 2005
Hi. Now i have the solution why i could not use Photoshop CS2 Tryout after having the CS2 Suite beta.

I logged into Windows XP with a different user name. And see – suddenly, Photoshop CS2 Tryout started with no fuss.

Then i renamed the "Adobe" folder in "Documents and settings" for my usual user name, then the Photoshop CS2 Tryout should work – i thought. I rebootet: Photoshop CS2 still did not work with that first user name.

Right now i work with the second user name. Photoshop CS2 Tryout as well as the whole activated CS suite can be used there. I still don’t know why the Tryout does not start with my original user name.

Thanks for your help so far again!
CC
Chris_Cox
May 1, 2005
So it sounds like an old preferences file was left around for that user.
HM
Henrik_Meier
May 4, 2005
Hi. Thanks to all helpful posters again.

Finally i found what made Photoshop CS2 Tryout crash upon start: It was a small utility "Filebox Extender" in the old version 1.7 (helpful to find favorite or recently used folders from within "Save"- and "Open"-boxes).

I had Filebox Extender in Autostart. Once i remove it from memory, Photoshop CS2 Tryout comes up with no problem.

Big problem, very odd solution, but thanks again!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections