D
Posted By
dadj77
Apr 29, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
On my system (XP Pro, 1Gb RDram, P4 3.02 GHz HT CPU, geforce 6, 245Gb free hd space) photoshop CS2 often seems stuck and just halts for moments. For example when closing a document, right after applying a effect or filter, when moving a document around, etc etc. Also shortcuts are not just delayed but simply ignored sometimes (probably during another small program halt). The older CS has NONE of these misfortunes. Also on my 3.4GHz laptop (also with 1Gb ram) CS2 has no issues whatsoever.

Is there something I can do on my end to fix this or is this some wrinkle that needs flattening by a future program update? It’s simply not a workable situation, causing a lot of stress.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

AJ
Adam_Jerugim
Apr 29, 2005
You list Geforce 6 as your video card, but I’m curious what type of card and how much RAM it has. Also you may want to adjust the memory slider to a lower percentage to see if that helps.

Couple other questions:

Any other applications running at the same time as PS CS2? (Bridge, NAV, etc?)

Have you adjusted the Page File settings to make the file at least 2x as big as your physical RAM? Also, is the Page File on the same drive as your PS scratch?

If you could, please post the System Info as displayed in PS (Help > System Info) – just the system info (processor, RAM, scratch discs) will be enough, I don’t need to see the entire plug-in list.

thanks,
-Adam
D
dadj77
Apr 29, 2005
– It’s a Gainward GF6800GT Golden Sample with 256Mb ram. – NAV IS running. (should i consider switching to nod32?) – Bridge is not started automaticly and i get the issues with or without it running.

– Page File is set to 2500Mb fixed size and not on the same drive as my PS scratch disk.

– Sys info
Operating System: Windows XP
Version: 5.1 Service Pack 2
System architecture: Intel CPU Family:15, Model:2, Stepping:7 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, HyperThreading
Physical processor count: 1
Processor speed: 3073 MHz
Built-in memory: 1023 MB
Free memory: 269 MB
Memory available to Photoshop: 908 MB
Memory used by Photoshop: 80 %
Image cache levels: 6
Application folder: I:\Programs 3\Adobe Photoshop CS2\
Temporary file path: C:\DOCUME~1\dj\LOCALS~1\Temp\
Photoshop scratch has async I/O enabled
Scratch volume(s):
G:\, 90,9G, 23,1G free
J:\, 151,6G, 116,4G free
I:\, 146,5G, 135,4G free (first)

there u go.
AJ
Adam_Jerugim
Apr 29, 2005
Two things to try:

1. Set the memory slider down to 55% (or lower)

2. Try turning NAV off

Please let me know if either option improves your CS2 performance.

Thanks again.
B
BobLevine
Apr 29, 2005
Memory used by Photoshop: 80 %

Knock that down to between 50 and 75 to see if they helps.

Bob
RG
Rod_Golden
Apr 29, 2005
Just a couple quick notes on the scanning issue. The first is that you are correct to point out that the interface is merely hidden behind the Photoshop window. In all the cases of this behavior that we’ve come across none have required resorting to the task manager however. Though I’ll admit it’s inconvenient in these instances the user merely needs to grab the Photoshop application window and move it out of the way to reveal the still active scanner interface.
D
dadj77
Apr 29, 2005
right, but that is not possible when photoshop is maximized, which it ussually is.
SB
Scott_Byer
Apr 29, 2005
Yeah, I understand. We tried to work around as much of the really goofy and stupid things some of the scanner driver dialogs did in terms of trying to seem "part" of Photoshop, but some were just too goofy.

Hopefully there will be updates from the scanner manufacturers that will be somewhat less goofy.

-Scott

wrote:
right, but that is not possible when photoshop is maximized, which it ussually is.
D
dadj77
Apr 30, 2005
will test the suggested setting over the weekend and post my findings then. (it’s a holiday weekend starting today here so im a bit tied up 🙂
D
dadj77
May 2, 2005
All right, I have tested the suggested settings. Turning off Norton (2005) did not have any impact what so ever. Setting memory as low as 55% appeared to help a little, although I can’t say with certainty that it did, might have been wishful thinking. With 55% I don’t really have enough memory for my use so it’s not a solution anyway but for testing purposes I am torn whether it made a difference or not. hmz. If you have any other things I might try I am happy to be a test bunny. If i do find by more testing that low memory settings have a positive impact after all I will report that here.
CC
Chris_Cox
May 2, 2005
Something on your system is still taking a lot of time when Photoshop is running. But we don’t have your system, so we can only guess about what it might be.
MR
Mark Romine
May 2, 2005
Seeing the same thing on a P4 2.8 Ghz with 1GB of Ram, no other apps running.

mark
CC
Chris_Cox
May 2, 2005
And we still need more information….
MR
Mark Romine
May 2, 2005
What else do you need info-wise?
CC
Chris_Cox
May 2, 2005
Everything.

Why is your system different from most other users?
What about your system could cause it to be so slow?
D
dadj77
May 2, 2005
quote: "If you could, please post the System Info as displayed in PS (Help > System Info) – just the system info (processor, RAM, scratch discs) will be enough, I don’t need to see the entire plug-in list."
MR
Mark Romine
May 2, 2005
Why is your system different from most other users?

I do not know. I am just reporting what it is failing to do. CS was not this way.

What about your system could cause it to be so slow?

I do ont know of anything, CS1 ran fine, CS2 is just not very responsive.
CC
Chris_Cox
May 2, 2005
OK – it’s not responsive on YOUR system.
But it is responsive on 99.8% of other users systems.

So, WHAT is different about YOUR system to everyone elses that might cause it to run slowly?

We don’t have your system to look at – only you have your system. We’ve made guesses about what might cause the slowdown, but you say those aren’t the cause. So now YOU need to look at YOUR system and figure out how it is different and what might cause the slowdown.
MR
Mark Romine
May 2, 2005
dadj77

Adobe Photoshop Version: 9.0 (9.0×196)

Operating System: Windows XP

Version: 5.1 Service Pack 2

System architecture: Intel CPU Family:15, Model:2, Stepping:7 with b MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, HyperThreading

Physical processor count: 1

Processor speed: 2784 MHz

Free memory: 251 MB

Memory used by Photoshop: 55 %

Image cache levels: 6

Serial number: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS2\

Temporary file path: C:\DOCUME~1\MARKRO~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\

Photoshop scratch has async I/O enabled

Scratch volume(s):

Startup, 23.9G, 9.66G free
CC
Chris_Cox
May 2, 2005
Mark – now, again, we need to know what else about your system could be causing a slowdown.

Utility programs?
Network printer?
Network file system?
Have you checked your OS swapfile size?
Video card driver?
MR
Mark Romine
May 2, 2005
Chris:

Not sure if your questions are aimed at me but…

So, WHAT is different about YOUR system to everyone elses that might cause it to run slowly?

I have no idea because I do ont know what anyone else let alone everyone else is runiing.

So now YOU need to look at YOUR system and figure out how it is different and what might cause the slowdown.

Wow, so how I am supposed to do that?
D
dadj77
May 2, 2005
Chris just means non-common programs/utils that you use that are not used in general, could be anything from you firewall, virus scanner to desktop utilities; anything that makes your system setup stand out the crowd.

personally i have a desktop calender running, but it just changes my desktop background image, this doesent influence my performance in my case.
MR
Mark Romine
May 2, 2005
Ok, no firewall, no virus protection or scanner as far as desktop utilities none that I can think of.

thanks,
mark
MR
Mark Romine
May 2, 2005
Utility programs?

None- no Norton or any virus protection

Network printer?

None

Network file system?

I do not know what this is?

Have you checked your OS swapfile size?

Do not know what this is or how to check it.

Video card driver?

Nvidia GeForce4 Ti 4200
T
TikiTim
May 2, 2005
This may be a little excessive, but may help Chris find what he’s looking for.

Mark: Choose Start > Run, type ‘msconfig’ without quotes, click OK.

Click on the Startup tab, and list here what it shows (just the name, don’t bother with the other stuff).

Click on the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box, and list here all that are left.

Close msconfig, then go Start > Run, type ‘msinfo32’ without quotes, click OK.

Make sure "System Summary" on the left is selected, then post here the info at the bottom about memory and page file from the right panel.
DM
dave_milbut
May 2, 2005
no firewall, no virus protection or scanner

searched for trojans viruses and especially spyware?
MR
Mark Romine
May 2, 2005
searched for trojans viruses and especially spyware?

This machine is not used for e-mail or surfing.
D
dadj77
May 2, 2005
know i am clean here, using, zonealarm, norton, spybot, pestpatrol and adware to stay clean. ( not running all of m all the time obviously.. 🙂 ) Anyway, if a virus was the cause of the slowdown other software should have noticable slowdowns too, including the older photoshop which is not the case.
CC
Chris_Cox
May 2, 2005
Most of the responsiveness problems in CS2 are being traced to the video card drivers (buggy ones).

But I’m out of ideas about what could be causing it to slow down and pause like that.
D
dadj77
May 2, 2005
interesting. i have no problem with trying different drivers. which one are known to be good for nvidea cards? 6800GT in my case. I am using 76.41 now which have been doing great.
EH
earth_h4x
May 3, 2005
I have the same problem has you do

running a p4 3.0ghz / radeon 9600xt / 512mb of ram
CC
Chris_Cox
May 3, 2005
read the existing replies, and please help us figure this out.
MR
Mark Romine
May 3, 2005
I just updated the driver on my Nvidia card with the latest. It was posted on their site back in mid April so it is very recent. I will see if this makes any difference and report back.

Mark
D
dadj77
May 3, 2005
Same here, will post findings later.
MR
Mark Romine
May 3, 2005
TikiTim:

This may be a little excessive, but may help Chris find what he’s looking for.

Mark: Choose Start > Run, type ‘msconfig’ without quotes, click OK.

Click on the Startup tab, and list here what it shows (just the name, don’t bother with the other stuff).

Not sure what you mean by ‘name’, I get a whole window full of stuff but there is no ‘name tab’ so I am not sure what it is that you want.

Click on the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box, and list here all that are left.

Adobe LM Servie
Creative Service for CDROM Access
Dalsdepl
Dmbvcoay
EpsonBidriectionalService
Epson Printer Status Agent2
iPod Service
Nvidia Display Driver Service
Q/1Omgrtrks
Promise Array Message Agent
Promise Array Message Server
Rdr4dhwdim

Close msconfig, then go Start > Run, type ‘msinfo32’ without quotes, click OK.

Make sure "System Summary" on the left is selected, then post here the info at the bottom about memory and page file from the right panel.

Total Virtural Memory: 2.00GB
Available Virtural Memory: 1.96GB
Page File Space: 2.40GB
Page File: c:\pagefile.sys
DM
dave_milbut
May 3, 2005
any idea what these 3 are?

Dalsdepl
Dmbvcoay
Rdr4dhwdim
Q/1Omgrtrks

answersthatwork doesn’t list em ( <http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm> )
even google can’t find refrences to them.

also use ms config to disable as much as you can. including the epson and nvidia stuff. try starting in safe mode and see if performance increases. then if it does, start to reenable things one at a time until you find it.
CC
Chris_Cox
May 3, 2005
I don’t recognize those, either.
TM
Trevor_Morris
May 3, 2005
Dave, there are three kinds of people: those that can count and those that can’t 😉
D
dadj77
May 3, 2005
ok, i tested pscs2 for a whilce now with the latest final whql video driver but halts still occur. Aspecially after opening a document, or several at once it takes a good bit for photoshop to respond. I read more users noticed this but I dont have network printers or mapped network drives or anything.
But also when closing a file the wait is annoying.
I only have 7200RPM disks with lots of free space so you would say photoshop should have no trouble with the cache. I do wonder if the problems have to do with the caching system.
V
viol8ion
May 3, 2005
A quick test… CTRL Alt Del> task manager… end these prcesses: Dalsdepl
Dmbvcoay
Rdr4dhwdim
Q/1Omgrtrks

See if anything changes… if those items chance name upon a reboot I would suspect some sort of spyware/malware as none of them seem to coincide with any known processes… the worstthat will happen by ending the processes is that youwill have to reboot.
MR
Mark Romine
May 3, 2005
viol8ion:

A quick test… CTRL Alt Del> task manager… end these prcesses:

How do you end the process when the Task Manager comes up? You have to tell me every step I am not a Windows person.

mark
D
dadj77
May 3, 2005
go to the Processes tab and select a suspicious process. Next hit the "End Process" button in the right bottom.

p.s. imho no system (connected to the net or a network) should be without firewall and virus scanner btw.
MR
Mark Romine
May 3, 2005
dadj77:

None of the four above mentioned items are to be found under the Process tab in the Windows Task manger. Should I disable them in the System Configuration Window? Their status in the System Configuration Window is ‘Stopped’.
DM
dave_milbut
May 3, 2005
Dave, there are three kinds of people: those that can count and those that can’t

thanks. 🙂

there were 3 originally, then i noticed the Q/ one…

use msconfig to disable as much as you can. including the epson and nvidia stuff. try starting in safe mode and see if performance increases. then if it does, start to reenable things one at a time until you find it.

Start> run> type in: msconfig.
select safe mode.
hit ok. reboot.
try photoshop.
DM
dave_milbut
May 3, 2005

p.s. imho no system (connected to the net or a network) should be without
firewall and virus scanner btw.

a study came out last summer stating that an unprotected windows system connected to the internet via broadband is compromised several times over within the 1st 20 minutes.

suggest this to start:

<http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html>

and this:

<http://www.zonelabs.com>
MR
Mark Romine
May 4, 2005
The above four items are not found when doing a search.
D
dadj77
May 17, 2005
* SOLUTION* Hi there again, I am the topicstarter of this topic and just read the suggestion in a different topic about turning off the font previews. I just tried this and ALL problems seem to have gone away! I do have a lot of fonts installed ánd i am using Extensis Suitcase 9 (love it) to handle my fonts. i think i have about 1500 fonts active which i do not have installed in the system folder but in a seperate folder i made to keep windows faster. Perhaps this info helps finding a real solution. It appears to me that it’s a font preview caching problem. I hope you guys can come up with a fix! For now I am very happy to finally be able to use the new PS.
I
ID._Awe
May 17, 2005
dadj: I have, let me check, 2496 active fonts installed, have font preview on and not experiencing any problems. I keep my fonts installed on their own partition, find this really helps. Never had a font issue in ten years.
D
dadj77
May 17, 2005
what happends when you change the font preview to Large and work for a while? Notice any difference?
I
ID._Awe
May 17, 2005
"for a while" how long is that. Didn’t seem to be any problem, for say ten minutes.
D
dadj77
May 17, 2005
ok, did you restart pshop after changing the prefs?
I
ID._Awe
May 17, 2005
It was already set to ‘large’. I have the tryout version and have been trying to make it keel over before buying. I currently have v7 and haven’t upgraded because of the ‘A’ problems noted here. There are a few bugs noted already, so I’ll be waiting until a ‘dot’ release is up.

Hm-m-m-m-m, maybe I might have to skip this one too.

Just to be clear, I’ve been using Pshop since v3 (I think it was on a Mac), v4 on a PC and have upgraded to every version to v7.
D
dadj77
May 17, 2005
I never had ANY problems with photoshop 8 and now with the font previewing turned off this new PSCS2 is flawless for me again. just wished the Bridge would start up faster.
I think it would be very wise to upgrade from V7 dude, soooo much has changed for the better. i started working in photoshop 2.5 but now i would be lost going back to even version 7.
GH
Guillermo_Herrera
May 17, 2005
Hey there fellas,
We just upgraded to CS2 suite in our studio and we have the same problem described here…. Photoshop, Illustrator, inDesign and Bridge they all run very sluggish even when they run all by themselves, one at the time.
I have a P4 3.40 Ghz HT, 1gb of ram, a Gforce 5700 go (128mb) The other machine in the office that we loaded CS2 is a P4 2.8 ghz with 1.7 GB of ram, and same problem.
Illustrator is the worse of all in performance….it freezes constantly in both machines…. I was using only 60% for memory and i have less than 1000 fonts.

any help will be very valuable!
thanks
PM
Peter_McNeill
May 17, 2005

Free memory: 251 MB

Memory used by Photoshop: 55 %

—————————————

I have 1gig mem also and with PSCS2 open and my browser while writing this I still have 476meg free and that’s with PS allocated 70% of memory. Something on your system looks like its chewing up a lot of ram.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections