Photoshop CS2: Disable color management?

AW
Posted By
Allen_W
Apr 28, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
How can I disable color management in Photoshop CS2? I want the new document window to default to "don’t color manage this document."

I think my IBM C220p 22" CRT is color accurate enough, and I don’t like to deal with ICC profile handling between programs. Thanks.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

I
ID._Awe
Apr 28, 2005
Tell PS to use that profile for RGB. Pretty simple.
AW
Allen_W
Apr 28, 2005
Hows that different from "off"? I want color management "off."
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 28, 2005
off is kind of misleading. you can "ignore" it, but it’s never really off in ps.
IL
Ian_Lyons
Apr 28, 2005
Go to Color Settings (Edit menu)

In Color Settings hit the More Options button

From the Settings drop down menu choose: Color Management Off

Your new documents will now default to "Don’t Color Manage this Document"

BTW: whoever said suicide was painless lied! (Context: turning off CM in CS isn’t really possible and the assumption that doing so has the potential to cause you more grief than relief)
AW
Allen_W
Apr 28, 2005
"From the Settings drop down menu choose: Color Management Off"

That isn’t there anymore in CS2. What gives? Is there another solution?
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 28, 2005
not at my cs2 system but is there something like "don’t ask" ? that’s as close as you’re going to get…
IL
Ian_Lyons
Apr 28, 2005
If you don’t have it then you must have deleted your old version that was installed with CS and before. The equivalent in CS2 is Monitor Color. However, the profile used in New documents is sticky so you’ll need to change it from whatever it is currently to what you want. Set it to "Don’t Color Manage this Document". Hit OK button. Close Document. So long as you don’t change it again it should stay as you’ve set it.
AW
Allen_W
Apr 28, 2005
"So long as you don’t change it again it should stay as you’ve set it."

But it doesn’t stay set. Everytime I make new, it goes to sRGB. 🙁

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections