CB
Posted By
Chad Bennett
Jul 23, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
FYI – There appears to be an unknown limitation with the Radial Blur Filter and large files in that it produces a "…not enough memory (RAM)…" error message when you try to apply it (Photoshop 7.0.1 & 6.0.1). My file is 7250px X 4550px @ 200ppi, RGB. I tested on several Windows 2000 computers (SP2) and one Mac (OS9) and they all produced the same error. The best configuration I tested with was a dual P3-1GHz computer running Windows 2000 (SP3) and 2GB of RAM. I also followed the Optimizing Performance recommendations in the Support Knowledgebase Document 318243.

All the other Blur filters work as well as many other filters (every one I tested, that is). If I reduce the resolution of the file to 150ppi it drops under the limitation and the Radial Blur completes successfully.

I contacted Adobe Tech Support and they were able to reproduce the problem on both platforms and said that they would report it to software engineering.

I’m sharing this information because I’ve seen other posts about this in the archives and responses were to add more RAM or other clever optimizing methods (Photoshop can only address a maximum of 2GB of physical ram on Windows). I didn’t want others going crazy as I was trying to figure it out. In short, it is a limitation of the filter which is related to the size of the image. You may be able to overcome the limitation by reducing the size of the image. But that is not always an option.

Good Luck.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections