BB
Posted By
Beth_Blackwell
Apr 27, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I select File, Open, a window pops up that shows small thumbnails of all the pictures in the directory. The .psd files appear all black instead of the pictures that they are.

I’m using Photoshop CS, Windows XP Professional.

Thanks in advance

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

H
harrylimey
Apr 27, 2005
Do you mean – when you try to open a file in Photoshop or when you are looking at a folder of pictures in Windows??
Windows XP will not show thumbnails of PSD files.

Harry
HL
harry_limey
Apr 29, 2005
Do you mean – when you try to open a file in Photoshop or when you are looking at a folder of pictures in Windows??
Windows XP will not show thumbnails of PSD files.

Harry
BB
Beth_Blackwell
Apr 30, 2005
When I try to open the file in Photoshop. If I click on it in the file-open window, I can see the thumbnail at the bottom, but the thumbnail in the rows will all the other files is all black.
C
chrisjbirchall
Apr 30, 2005
File>Open in Photoshop actually uses Windows Explorer to display the dialogue. What you are seeing is in effect being generated by the OS. As Windows XP is unable to display thumbnails of PSD files, you will not be able to view them this way.

Why aren’t you using the Browser to select your files? It is designed specifically for that purpose.
BB
Beth_Blackwell
Apr 30, 2005
Thank you for the information. I am using the Browser some, but I found it easier to select multiple files to open at once using the file-open command.
C
chrisjbirchall
Apr 30, 2005
but I found it easier to select multiple files to open at once using the file-open command.

In the browser, you can select multiple files by holding down the Ctrl key – and at least here you get thumbnails to see what you are doing.

I was one of those who mourned the missing Explorer thumbnails when psicon.dll was pulled with the release of CS.

I tried reinstalling it, but got the data loss problems.

So then I abandoned PSD files in favour of TIFFs so I could have thumbnails once again.

And then… I got CS2.

Windows Explorer! What’s that??

Chris.
H
Ho
May 2, 2005
File>Open in Photoshop actually uses Windows Explorer to display the dialogue. What you are seeing is in effect being generated by the OS.

Yes and no… if I understand what’s actually going on here. The file open dialogue does hook into the OS, but the thumbnail preview for the selected file comes straight from the Browser cache.

I think Beth means she has her prefs set to View>Thumbnails for the File>Open dialogue. If so, this *should* result in her seeing the PS icon for PSD files in the chosen folder with the CS generated thumb appearing at the bottom of the dialogue box for the file that’s highlighted.

Not sure where the black boxes are coming from, unless she’s tried the CS preview reg hack with the wrong version of psicon.dll.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections