VW
Posted By
Vince Waldron
Sep 15, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just loaded Photoshop Elements 2.0 on my iBook and am surprised to notice a fairly unnacceptable lag time between when I make a mark on my intuos2 graphics tablet and when the line actually shows up on my screen. Depending on how thick the line is, it can take about a half second to a second. (I know it doesn’t sound like a long time, but imagine what it would be like to draw with a pencil if the lead wouldn’t actually put a line on paper until you said "one, one thousand.")

Anyone have any idea what might be a likely fix to get my graphics board humming?

For what it’s worth, I don’t notice any lag when I use the same tablet in Painter Classic.

Thanks!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

PD
Peter Duniho
Sep 16, 2003
"Vince Waldron" wrote in message
I just loaded Photoshop Elements 2.0 on my iBook and am
surprised to notice a fairly unnacceptable lag time between when I make a mark on my intuos2 graphics tablet and when the line actually shows up on my screen. […] For what it’s worth, I don’t notice any lag when I use the same tablet in Painter Classic.

Are you comparing apples to apples? That is, when you try the same experiment in Painter, are you drawing on an image that has the same resolution and same number of pixels?

The most likely source of the lag is the time it takes for Elements to take your user input (i.e. "click here, drag to there"), go change all of the pixels in your image to match that, and then redisplay the results on your monitor. If your image is higher resolution in Elements than in Painter, Elements would take longer. Worst case scenario, the portion of the image being changed can’t all fit in RAM at once, and disk swapping will happen, slowing things even more.

You might ask "why can’t Elements just draw the line on the screen and then put the results into the image later?" Well, it could, but then there would inaccuracies between the feedback you get while drawing the line and what actually winds up in the picture, due to the resolution differences.

In fact, it’s possible that Painter is faster because, due to the nature of that program, such inaccuracies are considered more tolerable, and so it does draw directly to the screen-resolution image during the click-and-drag. If that’s the case, then even an apples-to-apples comparison would show a difference in speed.

So, things to try: reduce the image size you’re editing and make sure you have enough RAM. If doing those things improves the situation, then you’ll have some idea as to why it was happening in the first place.

Pete

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections