J
Posted By
jamesfrmphilly
Apr 26, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been getting some poor scans lately.
there seems to be slight posterization with the colors clumping rather than a smooth gradation from hight light to shadow.
is there something in CS that will unposterize the clumps of color?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Apr 26, 2005
You could try a tiny amount of color noise. In worser cases, you might need to blur a duplicate layer and set it to Color mode.
P
Phosphor
Apr 26, 2005
A better, long-term solution would be to work on getting better color management working between your scanner and Photoshop.

This might help:
<http://scantips.com/basics15.html>
….Particularly, you may want to invest in the latest version of the book recommended at the bottom of that linked page.
J
jamesfrmphilly
Apr 27, 2005
I have just spent hundreds of dollars calibrating every piece of gear that I have. I have not got good results.
I am a little disgusted with the entire color management thing right about now. I guess I’ve given up on getting good scans.
I don’t have any more money to put into it.
RW
Rene_Walling
Apr 27, 2005
I don’t have any more money to put into it.

I would recommend putting effort rather than money into it. You probably just need a bit more knowledge to implement CM properly.

Check out the CM forum:

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.eea5b31>
GH
Gary_Hummell
Apr 27, 2005
If you can break down your scanning technique into equipment and steps, perhaps we can spot a problem. Color mangement IS frustrating to get on top of but the payout is worth it. The more details you can supply the better. Most of us have made a huge number of mistakes and can probably help.

Gary
A
angus
Apr 28, 2005
Posterization? You mean like a Moiré effect? Don’t lay the image to be scanned at 90 degrees to your scanner, rather twist it a few degrees so it’s sitting at an angle.
P
Phosphor
Apr 28, 2005
"Posterization? You mean like a Moiré effect?">

Posterization & Moiré: two different animals entirely.
PC
Philo_Calhoun
Apr 28, 2005
to add to what Phosphor said:
Posterization is not really fixable (it is trying to bring back lost information). Moiré is fixable.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections