Closed
When adjusting photos, is the correct
sequence:

1: Crop
2: Colour adjustment:
3: Sharpening.

or some other seq.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

D
Dave
Feb 9, 2008
On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 18:18:28 +1100, "Peter Jason" wrote:

sequence:

or some other seq.

Yes

Dave
R
Ragnar
Feb 9, 2008
Dave wrote:

sequence:

or some other seq.

Yes

Dave

Another smart arse for the kill file

🙁
V
Voivod
Feb 9, 2008
On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 11:46:26 GMT, "Ragnar"
scribbled:

Dave wrote:

sequence:

or some other seq.

Yes

Dave

🙁

Logical answers get people kill filed? What a fucking loser world you live in. Kill file me now, please.
M
mesa
Feb 9, 2008
Voivod wrote:

scribbled:

Dave wrote:

sequence:

or some other seq.

Yes

Dave

🙁

Logical answers get people kill filed? What a fucking loser world you live in. Kill file me now, please.

Done 🙂
A
Avery
Feb 9, 2008

sequence:

or some other seq.

I think the correct answer is … perhaps.

Why are you doing any of these things?
D
Dave
Feb 9, 2008
On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 12:48:03 GMT, Avery wrote:

sequence:

or some other seq.

Perhaps… you are wrong.
The question was not whether it should be done
but about the sequence.
What other sequence would you ‘perhaps’ suggest?

Dave
HL
Harry Lockwood
Feb 9, 2008
In article <fojk49$itu$>,
"Peter Jason" wrote:

sequence:

or some other seq.

No expert here, but for me, where a print is the final output, I would sharpen only after choosing Image Size.

HFL

Change hlockwood to hflockwood in email address
D
Dave
Feb 9, 2008
On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 14:46:23 GMT, Harry Lockwood
wrote:

"Peter Jason" wrote:

sequence:

or some other seq.

No expert here, but for me, where a print is the final output, I would sharpen only after choosing Image Size.

HFL

I assume we are already at Image Size
because we.. jeez read no 1 !

(bet you’s it is one of those cases where the
child are playing somewhere else and the grownups
are still fighting:-)

Dave
J
Joel
Feb 9, 2008
"Peter Jason" wrote:

sequence:

or some other seq.

Me?

1. Could be "Color adjustment" or others first depending on my mood

2. Color adjustment

3. Crop

No sharpening.
J
Joel
Feb 9, 2008
Harry Lockwood wrote:

"Peter Jason" wrote:

sequence:

or some other seq.

I don’t do sharpening, but I don’t see if it will make any difference if you sharpen first/next/last (to Image Size).

HFL
V
Voivod
Feb 9, 2008
On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 23:16:36 +1100, "Rob." scribbled:

Voivod wrote:

scribbled:

Dave wrote:

sequence:

or some other seq.

Yes

Dave

🙁

Done 🙂

Coward.
N
nomail
Feb 9, 2008
Harry Lockwood wrote:

"Peter Jason" wrote:

sequence:

or some other seq.

There is a difference between resizing and cropping. Resizing changes pixels, so it’s better to sharpen after resizing. Cropping only cuts away pixels from each side, it doesn’t change the remaining pixels. That means that it doesn’t matter if you crop first and sharpen later or vice versa.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.com
D
Dave
Feb 9, 2008
On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 10:00:12 -0600, Joel wrote:

Me?

2. Color adjustment

3. Crop

No sharpening.

That is what I like about you, Uncle Joel.
You are sharp..!.:-)
(depending on your mood of course:-)
T
Tacit
Feb 9, 2008
In article ,
Joel wrote:

I don’t do sharpening, but I don’t see if it will make any difference if you sharpen first/next/last (to Image Size).

It does make a difference. Sharpening works by exaggerating areas of high contrast, which it does by darkening the dark side of an edge and lightening the light side of an edge. If you sharpen, then afterward resize, much of the effect of the sharpening is lost.

Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
AB
Alan Beynon
Feb 9, 2008
I can recommend Scott Kelby’s new book – The 7-Point System for Photoshop CS3. He takes you through a consistent logical workflow with live examples. Very good.

"Dave" wrote in message

Me?

2. Color adjustment

3. Crop

No sharpening.

D
Dave
Feb 9, 2008
On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 07:14:38 +1100, "Alan Beynon" wrote:

I can recommend Scott Kelby’s new book – The 7-Point System for Photoshop CS3. He takes you through a consistent logical workflow with live examples. Very good.

"Dave" wrote in message

Me?

2. Color adjustment

3. Crop

No sharpening.

You have a Top Post Virus on your hard drive, twit.
You should use NOD32 or some or another virus killer
T
Talker
Feb 9, 2008

sequence:

or some other seq.
That’s really an individual thing. I usually crop first, do a Levels Adjustment next, then what I do next depends on the picture. Sometimes I’ll do a Color Balance, other times I’ll do a Hue/Saturation. The last thing that I do is to apply the Unsharp Mask, but only if it’s needed. In most cases, sharpening isn’t needed.
Again, it’s an individual preference…it’s what works for you.

Talker
PJ
Peter Jason
Feb 10, 2008
"Avery" wrote in
On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 18:18:28 +1100, "Peter
Jason" wrote:

sequence:

or some other seq.

I am preparing a set of wedding photos taken
in contrasty afternoon light. I have used a
wide-angle lens. I have to crop out
unsuitable material and also crop to the 6:4
ratio favoured by most photo kiosks.

I have to use the curves to reduce the
contrast, and the sharpening to fix some
movements.

Then I have to reduce the saturation because
some guests had ruddy faces.

Then I have to annotate the photos slightly
in from one corner (the kiosks always chop
off a portion of the bottom/top of prints).

I hope I am doing it right.

Thanks for any help.

PJ
J
Joel
Feb 10, 2008
tacit wrote:

In article ,
Joel wrote:

It does make a difference. Sharpening works by exaggerating areas of high contrast, which it does by darkening the dark side of an edge and lightening the light side of an edge. If you sharpen, then afterward resize, much of the effect of the sharpening is lost.

I think you misquoted my quote. And I dunno if I need to response to your message or not since you say thing I didn’t say. Below is what I repsonsed to.

==========================================================
============================================================ =
J
Joel
Feb 10, 2008
Dave wrote:

Me?

2. Color adjustment

3. Crop

No sharpening.

Thanks! and I am getting to like you too (sensitive nephew with slippery lips) <bg>
J
Joel
Feb 10, 2008
Dave wrote:

<snip>
You have a Top Post Virus on your hard drive, twit.
You should use NOD32 or some or another virus killer

..and the topper already slipped in one of my kill-files. Cuz I just don’t deal with topper <bg>
J
Joel
Feb 10, 2008
Talker wrote:

sequence:

or some other seq.
That’s really an individual thing. I usually crop first, do a Levels Adjustment next, then what I do next depends on the picture. Sometimes I’ll do a Color Balance, other times I’ll do a Hue/Saturation. The last thing that I do is to apply the Unsharp Mask, but only if it’s needed. In most cases, sharpening isn’t needed.
Talker

Me? cropping is an advanced level of post processing, so the longer I have the chance to see the image the more idea may come to my mind.

Cropping is usually not my last step as I work mostly on portrait so I usually have to do few extra steps after cropping. But no way I will crop before other thing *except* if there is bunch of wacky background then I may temperary get rid of some, then do the final crop (if needed) later.
HL
Harry Lockwood
Feb 10, 2008
In article ,
Joel wrote:

tacit wrote:

In article ,
Joel wrote:

I think you misquoted my quote. And I dunno if I need to response to your message or not since you say thing I didn’t say. Below is what I repsonsed to.

Since I’m quoted here, I’ll jump back into this thread.

The rationale for my suggestion is based on my usual workflow. After the scan (35mm) is loaded into PS, I may typically have several adjustment layers (Levels, Curves) for tonal or color corrections and possibly other layers as well. In addition, I will have cropped out any overscan or areas that are to be excluded. The image is now ready for printing. I then choose the Image Size for the print, then sharpen as needed.

After the print is in hand, and before saving my changes I remove the resize and sharpen steps. (Or I may save the file before resizing and sharpening.) This way, should I wish to make further changes to the image in the future, they will be made on the original 16-bit image at full resolution. I will also be able to choose a different printing scheme (size, paper) and, perhaps, a different sharpening scheme.

Also, take note of tacit’s remark. The generally recommended procedure is to sharpen only after resizing (the last step in Bruce Fraser’s 3-step sharpening workflow.)

HFL

K
KatWoman
Feb 11, 2008
"Peter Jason" wrote in message
When adjusting photos, is the correct sequence:

or some other seq.
I NEVER CROP MY ORIGINAL
only copies
what if you need a print in a different proportion later?? for example 8×10 is diff shape than a 5×7

I retouch etc then save as a full frame PSD with all layers in tact in case I wish to edit later
then I crop and save as a TIFF flattened
then I make a smaller file for the web in jpg
T
Talker
Feb 11, 2008
On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 14:08:26 -0600, Joel wrote:

Talker wrote:

sequence:

or some other seq.
Talker

Me? cropping is an advanced level of post processing, so the longer I have the chance to see the image the more idea may come to my mind.
Cropping is usually not my last step as I work mostly on portrait so I usually have to do few extra steps after cropping. But no way I will crop before other thing *except* if there is bunch of wacky background then I may temperary get rid of some, then do the final crop (if needed) later.

I guess I should have commented that I usually work on scans of pictures, and I crop off the over scan…that is, the edges that aren’t part of the picture. Most of the pictures I work on are photos that others have taken, and they’ve given me to restore. If I had taken the picture with my digital camera, then I agree that you never crop the picture first. I should have been more specific when I posted the first comments.
One thing that I always see mentioned….everyone always makes it a point to say that you should never work on the original picture. Why? I always work on the original picture, then when I’m finished, I save it as an altered version of the original. That is, if the picture has a file name of Susan 01, I’ll save it as Susan 01a. What’s wrong with that? I still have the original picture…nothing was done to it, so why should you never work on the original? I never do a "Save", I always do a "Save As" in Photoshop, so what’s the harm?

Talker
V
Voivod
Feb 11, 2008
On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 14:22:35 -0500, "KatWoman" scribbled:

"Peter Jason" wrote in message
When adjusting photos, is the correct sequence:

or some other seq.
I NEVER CROP MY ORIGINAL

He didn’t say he was working on the originals or copies. Why jump to the conclusion that he’s a moron?

only copies
what if you need a print in a different proportion later?? for example 8×10 is diff shape than a 5×7

I retouch etc then save as a full frame PSD with all layers in tact in case I wish to edit later
then I crop and save as a TIFF flattened
then I make a smaller file for the web in jpg

Wow, you ARE a moron…
TC
tony cooper
Feb 11, 2008
On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 15:20:06 -0500, Talker wrote:

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 14:08:26 -0600, Joel wrote:

Talker wrote:

sequence:

or some other seq.
Talker

I guess I should have commented that I usually work on scans of pictures, and I crop off the over scan…that is, the edges that aren’t part of the picture. Most of the pictures I work on are photos that others have taken, and they’ve given me to restore. If I had taken the picture with my digital camera, then I agree that you never crop the picture first. I should have been more specific when I posted the first comments.
One thing that I always see mentioned….everyone always makes it a point to say that you should never work on the original picture. Why? I always work on the original picture, then when I’m finished, I save it as an altered version of the original. That is, if the picture has a file name of Susan 01, I’ll save it as Susan 01a. What’s wrong with that? I still have the original picture…nothing was done to it, so why should you never work on the original? I never do a "Save", I always do a "Save As" in Photoshop, so what’s the harm?
I think the caution about working on the original is that you *could* make a mistake and hit "save" instead of "save as".

You obviously understand the original should remain unaltered, and you accomplish this in the end, but there is a small risk involved in your technique.

Tony Cooper – Orlando, Florida
J
Joel
Feb 12, 2008
Harry Lockwood wrote:

In article ,
Joel wrote:

tacit wrote:

In article ,
Joel wrote:

The rationale for my suggestion is based on my usual workflow. After the scan (35mm) is loaded into PS, I may typically have several adjustment layers (Levels, Curves) for tonal or color corrections and possibly other layers as well. In addition, I will have cropped out any overscan or areas that are to be excluded. The image is now ready for printing. I then choose the Image Size for the print, then sharpen as needed.

Overscan area is another story and it should be cropped either before processing or even before scanning. But that isn’t exactly what cropping is about.

After the print is in hand, and before saving my changes I remove the resize and sharpen steps. (Or I may save the file before resizing and sharpening.) This way, should I wish to make further changes to the image in the future, they will be made on the original 16-bit image at full resolution. I will also be able to choose a different printing scheme (size, paper) and, perhaps, a different sharpening scheme.

Me? I only crop *after* the original SAVED, and to me, cropping isn’t just to reduce the size but another level of post processing which including tilting and few extra process(es) to give the image a newer face.

Also, take note of tacit’s remark. The generally recommended procedure is to sharpen only after resizing (the last step in Bruce Fraser’s 3-step sharpening workflow.)

I don’ t know what Bruce Fraser is or was, but I know who Joel is and I go with Joel’s technique <bg>

HFL
J
Joel
Feb 12, 2008
Talker wrote:

<snip>

As I agreed with you on other message that if it’s the scanned photo then it’s another story.

One thing that I always see mentioned….everyone always makes it a point to say that you should never work on the original picture. Why? I always work on the original picture, then when I’m finished, I save it as an altered version of the original. That is, if the

That isn’t what they really mean to say. Because everything has to start with the original, and what they mean that (if the photo is very important)

– Making backup of the original to avoid accient

– If you work on the photo then make a duplicate of the original (LAYER) so you always have the original to fall back to.

And because I often work with multiple layers and masking, so quite often I have 2 duped layers of the original. And sometime (not often) I make several snapshots just incase I need to go back to some point’s I like that History alone just won’t cut.

– Yes, I always work with the original, and quite often I would restart with the original rather than the modified version. Unless it’s an unfinished or prepared for later processing saved as PSD with all layers etc..

Or because I have been doing the same thing for so many years (hundreds of thousands of photos) so it won’t take me more than few minutes. And I only work with hi-rez images so no repairing

picture has a file name of Susan 01, I’ll save it as Susan 01a. What’s wrong with that? I still have the original picture…nothing was done to it, so why should you never work on the original? I never do a "Save", I always do a "Save As" in Photoshop, so what’s the harm?

As I mentioned above that you just misunderstand what other tries to say. Or most of my photos are for the clients, no 2nd chance etc.. so I am not only have the original saved to 2 CDs, I also have 2 cameras just incase thing may go wrong during photoshoot.

IOW, people don’t talk about individual but general which including both fun and professional use.
HL
Harry Lockwood
Feb 12, 2008
In article ,
Joel wrote:

Harry Lockwood wrote:

In article ,
Joel wrote:

tacit wrote:

In article ,
Joel wrote:

I don’t do sharpening, but I don’t see if it will make any difference if
you sharpen first/next/last (to Image Size).

I think you misquoted my quote. And I dunno if I need to response to your
message or not since you say thing I didn’t say. Below is what I repsonsed to.

Overscan area is another story and it should be cropped either before processing or even before scanning. But that isn’t exactly what cropping is about.

Crop the scan before scanning? Probably a miscommunication here. But, I agree there’s more to cropping (see below.)

Me? I only crop *after* the original SAVED, and to me, cropping isn’t just to reduce the size but another level of post processing which including tilting and few extra process(es) to give the image a newer face.

Yes, I agree. In my attempt at brevity, I left out perspective correction. I also, frequently, but not always, save and archive the raw scan.

I don’ t know what Bruce Fraser is or was, but I know who Joel is and I go with Joel’s technique <bg>

HFL

Might be worth googling Bruce Fraser.

Thanks for the input.

HFL

J
Joel
Feb 12, 2008
Harry Lockwood wrote:

Crop the scan before scanning? Probably a miscommunication here. But, I agree there’s more to cropping (see below.)

YES, most if not all scanner have option to select what you want to scan, and some even have the option to auto-detect the photo.

Yes, even my 4-5+ years old Epson Perfection has the feature.

Yes, I agree. In my attempt at brevity, I left out perspective correction. I also, frequently, but not always, save and archive the raw scan.

I haven’t done any scanning for many years to have any specific routine. About over a decade ago I upgraded to a newer scanner to scan some old family photos for restoration, then about 4-5+ years ago I upgraded to the Epson Perfection which has option to scan negative film to scan -3 old films and haven’t used it since.

Back to the cropping, the old Epson Perfection auto-detect and setect the photo so no need for cropping, and it allows to select the area to scan too.

HFL

Might be worth googling Bruce Fraser.

If he is one of my relative then it may worth to google, else I don’t see any good reason to know some stranger <bg>

Thanks for the input.

HFL

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections