Posted By
nee_sung
Apr 22, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello everybody

I would just like to find out what is the maximum amount of memory supported by CS2 under Windows XP Pro.

I have 2G on my present machine because that is the maximum supported by CS. I am just trying to ready the computer for the upgrade.

Thank you all in advance.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

TD
Thee_DarkOverLord
Apr 22, 2005
even though the max for photoshop is 2g, it would still help to have more, becasue OS takes a helthy chunk, plus anything else you might have open.

I have 3 gig ddr and 1.7 of that is for PS, the rest for nulti taksing. everything flyts along.
IL
Ian_Lyons
Apr 22, 2005
You can find out how CS2 uses memory Here! <http://photoshopnews.com/?p=134>
SB
Scott_Byer
Apr 22, 2005
The simple answer is: more!

*If* you have a 64-bit processor (AMD64/Intel EM64T), consider switching to Windows XP 64 Bit Edition when released. On that combination, Photoshop CS2 can use 4GB of address space.

In addition (!!!) if Photoshop CS2 sees more memory than that in the machine, it uses it’s scratch file in a slightly different way that allows the operating system to cache the scratch file in the additional RAM. A machine with 6GB of memory will, in fact, see measurable performance increases over a 4GB machine.

-Scott

wrote:
Hello everybody

I would just like to find out what is the maximum amount of memory supported by CS2 under Windows XP Pro.

I have 2G on my present machine because that is the maximum supported by CS. I am just trying to ready the computer for the upgrade.

Thank you all in advance.
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 25, 2005
consider switching to Windows XP 64 Bit Edition when released

monday (tomorrow!)!!! according to slashdot and zdnet.
Y
YrbkMgr
Apr 25, 2005
it uses it’s scratch file in a slightly different way that allows the operating system to cache the scratch file in the additional RAM.

Outstanding…
CB
Cathy_Brown
Apr 27, 2005
The PSNews article refers to the "3 gig boot switch" as the way to utilize up to 3GB of RAM in Win XP SP2. Anybody know more about this?
D
deebs
Apr 27, 2005
Try:

This <http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/default.mspx> or
This < http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/upgrade/default.msp x>

Both are links to Microsoft information about 64bit upgrade paths, tips and hints

Upgrade to Windows XP Professional x64 Edition from Windows XP Professional (32-bit)
D
deebs
Apr 27, 2005
or even a webcast due for 28 April?

Here <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896031>
CB
Cathy_Brown
Apr 27, 2005
Thanks, all. Now I have to read and understand. <g>
ND
Nick_Decker
Apr 28, 2005
It will be interesting to hear from anyone who has successfully used the 3GB boot switch with PS CS2…
BH
Bobby_Henderson
Apr 28, 2005
Microsoft is actually offering FREE upgrades to WinXP Pro x64 for users who have 64-bit capable AMD and Intel CPUs. According to the report I read, all you have to pay is shipping costs for the CD.

But BEWARE. You will lose your license to run the standard WinXP OS. That’s an important factor because there is a lot of compatibility issues with jumping to 64-bit. Older legacy apps using 16-bit installers will not work. Many periphreal drivers will have to be recompiled for 64-bit code to work. This upgrade is not for the faint of heart.

There’s a number of articles about WinXP Pro x64 at various computer trade magazine websites. Read up on it if you’re not already familiar with the installation issues.

The upgrade for WinXP Pro x64 will not be available on retail store shelves. Microsoft did not want anyone to just casually pick up this OS and install it without knowing the possible consequences. The new OS will also be available as an OEM item for new computers soon.
Q
Quale
Apr 28, 2005
Cathy, when you figure out how to set the 3G boot switch in XP, let us know. I could not implement what was described in the link Dave posted.
BF
bob_frost
Apr 28, 2005
I tried the 3GB switch with XP pro a few months ago, but only succeeded in stopping XP working completely, and eventually had to reinstall from my ASR recovery disks. I’ll wait until someone else says they have a method that works!

Bob Frost.
CM
craig_mullins
Apr 28, 2005
The 3 GB switch works for me now, and PS is seeing and using 2.8? GB of RAM. There are 6 GB in the machine.

This is on XP pro 32bit.

64bit sounds like a horror show at this point. Almost worth it to buy an extra copy of the 32bit OS to maybe dual boot?

Quale, if you are feeling brave, open the file boot.ini from the root level of your c drive in notepad or wordpad (it must be text only!). Maybe back it up first to reduce sweating.

here is a cut and paste of the last line in my file:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /3GB

maybe someone who knows more could explain better/more clearly/correctly? Not a geek here, thought I would like to be.
AP
Andrew_Pietrzyk
Apr 28, 2005
Microsoft is actually offering FREE upgrades to WinXP Pro x64 for users who have 64-bit capable AMD and Intel CPUs. According to the report I read, all you have to pay is shipping costs for the CD.

Yes, according MS you are entitled to free upgrade to XP x64 if you bought 64-bit compatible computer with PREINSTALLED version of XP pro (32-bit). That “takes care” of self built systems, with self installed (retail version) of XP pro. <G>

But BEWARE. You will lose your license to run the standard WinXP OS

Exactly, who in their right mind would give up XP pro (32-bit) license for XP 64-bit (with questionable drivers support) without ability to dual boot?

I’m confused with this MS offer. I want to buy XP 64-bit (and keep my 32-bit license) but this doesn’t seem possible at this time.
C
chrisjbirchall
Apr 28, 2005
Apparently the only flavours of XP64 are ‘Upgrade’ (free) and ‘OEM’.

So I suppose you could purchase a new hard drive with XP64 installed? That way you’d preserve the dual boot option.

Chris
C
chrisjbirchall
Apr 28, 2005
My local computer shop tells me they’ve had a document from Microsoft stating their OEM policy:

Full retail product may be moved from machine to machine.

OEM product ‘lives and dies’ with that particular PC.

This presumably means that once happy with your new 64 bit OS (which you paid for), you can’t then move your XP32 (which you paid for) onto another computer!? <big_frown>

It also begs another question: What if your mother board fried? Would MicroNotSoSoft turn around and refuse activation on your new motherboard? <shudder>

Chris.
ND
Nick_Decker
Apr 28, 2005
It also begs another question: What if your mother board fried? Would MicroNotSoSoft turn around and refuse activation on your new motherboard? <shudder>

In my case, they did not. I recently built a new box from the ground up, installed the OEM version of XP Pro (that came on the old box), and had to reactivate with MS. All they asked was why. I explained it to them and they reactivated me. (I’m assuming they could tell it was an OEM version from the numbers that I gave them.)
C
chrisjbirchall
Apr 28, 2005
All they asked was why. I explained it to them and they reactivated me

That’s encouraging.
I
ID._Awe
Apr 28, 2005
Actually MS is very good about activation. I had to re-set a clients system with an OEM, not once, but several times because of bad ram. I explained the problem and they said ‘cool, rock with this’ and the client is now skippy all over. Would hope so with a $4000 (Cdn) investment.
CB
Cathy_Brown
Apr 28, 2005
From Andrew:

I’m confused with this MS offer. I want to buy XP 64-bit (and keep my 32-bit license) but this doesn’t seem possible at this time.

Exactly, Andrew. Seems like they’re saying that 64bit is free, but you’ll have to buy another copy of 32 bit.

But where did you see that bit about self-built computers with retail XP not being eligible for the exchange?

Microsoft says:

The Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Technology Advancement Program enables customers who have purchased Windows XP Professional (32-bit) to exchange it for Windows XP Professional x64 Edition. You will need to have an x64 processor (the AMD Athlon 64, AMD Opteron, Intel Pentium 4 with EM64T, or Intel Xeon with EM64T) to run the new software.

I don’t see any exclusions there.
D
deebs
Apr 28, 2005
There are 2 IMHO important milestones ahead – 3 including PSCS2

This year is 10th anniversary of Windows 95 and next year is 30th anniversary of Microsoft – I expect great things
AP
Andrew_Pietrzyk
Apr 28, 2005
Cathy,

But where did you see that bit about self-built computers with retail XP not being eligible for the exchange?

From MS website:

"Technology Advancement Program Eligibility

In order to be eligible to receive Windows® XP Professional x64 Edition, your computer must have been ordered between March 31, 2003 and July 31, 2005 with Microsoft Windows® XP Pro (32 Bit) preinstalled."
CB
Cathy_Brown
Apr 28, 2005
Oops! You’re right, Andrew. I missed that bit of small print.

Curiouser and curiouser. Seems like they don’t want home tinkerers to get their hands on the app, since they won’t be offering a retail version.

I wonder if OEM copies will be available for purchase?
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 28, 2005
I expect great things

me too. just not from microsloth. 🙂
AP
Andrew_Pietrzyk
Apr 29, 2005
Cathy,

I wonder if OEM copies will be available for purchase?

Yes, check your favorite parts supplier’s website. 😉
CB
Cathy_Brown
Apr 29, 2005
Aha! Thanks.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections