NT
Posted By
nardy terry
Sep 6, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m new to the digital world. I have a Canon 10D and am using Elements 2. I’ve elected the AdobeRGB as my color space within the camera parameters and am shoting jpegs. I do not understand how to control the color space within elements 2. As I understand it, my image files are untagged since I elected AdobeRGB as opposed to sRGB and I do not know how to convert my image files within elements 2 to adobe RGB. Is this happening without my direction?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BB
brent bertram
Sep 6, 2003
Nardy,
If you select "full color management" under Edit > Color Settings, you will be working in the AdobeRGB colorspace, and when you save your file, you will have the opportunity to save it tagged with the AdobeRGB colorspace . I’d recommend saving your image immediately as a TIF file ( master image ), to prevent potential degradation by editting and saving as a JPG .

🙂

Brent
NT
nardy terry
Sep 6, 2003
Brent
Thanks for the info. You mentioned that I would have the opportunity to save my file withe AdobeRGB colorspace. Is that automatic once I elect full color management? Also, do I save as a TIF file before I do any editing?
Nardy
BB
brent bertram
Sep 6, 2003
I would save as a TIF file before any editting. That way you have your original image safe. The choice of saving with the AdobeRGB colorspace is automatic once you select full color management. Make sure you check the box ! <G>

🙂

Brent
NS
Nancy S
Sep 6, 2003
Nardy,

As Brent says, the choice to save tagged as Adobe RBG is automatically presented, but you must take the action of checking the box before you save (shows on the save screen)
NT
nardy terry
Sep 6, 2003
Brent
Thanks again for your help. I realize that I am just scratching the surface of color management. One step at a time. Any thoughts on the need to buy calibration soft ware for my monitor?
Nardy
P
Phosphor
Sep 6, 2003
What kind of monitor are you using Nardy? If CRT, calibration software will be different than if you’re using LCD.
BB
brent bertram
Sep 6, 2003
Nardy,
There’s pretty decent calibration software available, but I’d start with using the Adobe Gamma Utility , if you have a CRT . It does a decent enough job to get started with, and perhaps , depending on your eye for color, to continue with. Some good links discussing the issue ( and the larger issue of media profiles ) follow:
<http://www.normankoren.com/color_management_3.html> <http://www.computer-darkroom.com/optix/optix_1.htm> < http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7_print/ps7_print_mac_2.h tm>

If you follow the general guidance on Ian Lyons’ site, you can do very nicely without spending any more money than you need to.

🙂

Brent

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections