Why does Photoshop CS have terrible screen redraw??

CW
Posted By
Chuck_Wolff
Apr 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Christopher,
Yes Painter is terrible on screen re-draws. I have used Painter since version 3 on windows and Painter ran bad then too; the problem with sudden shutdowns in the middle of working, save every minute or so. The screen re-draw is better on the 9.2 hard drive than OSX 10.3 on a 2nd drive. The web forum is In Depth Design or Arts, try both. But very little help, mostly people posting paintings, try the search engines for Painter, a few sites exist. Painter news is always bad, it may be sold again, as the brush turns…

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

SJ
Stevie_J_V
Apr 1, 2004
I think Painter 8 is the best yet, I’ve only used it since version 2x though and probably don’t use it as well as some of you guys.

But it’s stability, awesome brushes and compatibility with photoshop make it indespencable, I don’t have a problem at all on my G5 running OSX .3.3. Adobe if you’re listening and it’s up for sale, I say buy it!
CG
Christopher_Gentry
Apr 1, 2004
I wish Adobe would buy it and make it as great as photoshop or perhaps incorporate it’s technology into photoshop. It sure is a cool program but it is buggy as hell. Adobe could get it running correctly I am sure. F—-ing Corel. I bought it because it was fairly cheap and I had seen some art that was done with the program that was totally rad.

Stevie J V, put it into full screen mode and pan around an image and let me know what happens. I have had problems on every machine that I have tried with both nVidia cards and ATi cards. If I try to use it in OS 9 it slows to a crawl after about 10 minutes. OS X is better but the screen redraw is the worst I have ever seen in nearly 10 years of computing.
AR
Angela_Roberts
Apr 4, 2004
Ron-

Did you get any workable solutions for your choppy screen draw problem in PS CS… I am experiencing the same thing and it’s driving me crazy! I’m on a G4 so mine is probably even worse than you are experiencing and I don’t have a clue how to fix it.

Any help is appreciated!

Angie
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 5, 2004
Angela – read the existing responses in this thread.
RG
Rob_Grishow
Apr 7, 2004
So this is an OSX problem, not Photoshop CS’s fault? I"m on a 1.8gig G5 w/ 3.5gigs of ram and it’s driving me and my boss nuts!! Working on projects lately has really been annoying with this flashy screen redraw -I’m glad I’m not eplieptic! It’s like whenever I want to move a layer around or edit anything, I have to wait for the G5’s fan to spool up and catch up with what i"m doing, and endure multiple flashing redraws. Frankly, RIDICULOUS! My old dual 450 G4 running OS9 was faster in Photoshop! BTW, these are only 1pg ads @ 300dpi.

Why don’t you Adobe guys write a patch or workaround for this until Apple fixes it? New computers are supposed to run faster -not slower than a machine 1/10th the power…
AR
Angela_Roberts
Apr 7, 2004
I AGREE….something needs to be done or it’s a waste of money, time and patience to upgrade! I’ve had to go back and use PS7 on large files because it’s just tooooo time consuming and a real pain in the… well, you know. Somebody, somewhere….needs to fix this!
PH
Paul_Hokanson
Apr 7, 2004
Ron,

I’m on a dual gig G4 (mirror door) with MUCH less ram, OS 10.2.8, and regularly work on very large files. At home I use a Quicksilver dual gig and 10.2.8. I’m not seeing the type of flashing redraw that you are describing with CS on either computer.

I can only guess that a combination of things is causing this to happen to some machines and not others… but a first guess would be a video card/OSX driver issue.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 7, 2004
I suspect that this is a video card issue:
I have the 2GHz G5 Dual and haven’t experienced this problem but the 1.8GHz model uses a different video card.
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 10, 2004
Rob – this is a low level issue that we can’t easily work around. We are pursuing this with Apple (as are a few angry customers).

Angela – huh? The redraw issue we’re discussing affects PS 7 and CS, regardless of file size (although lots of layers can make it look worse). What the heck are you talking about?
RM
Rustus_Maximus
Apr 14, 2004
Not to turn this into a Painter thread 😉 but Stevie (or anyone) how much of a performance boost are you seeing with Painter 8 on a G5 versus a G4? I am running a dual 1GHz Quicksilver with 10.3.3 and 1.5GB RAM and the larger brush sizes tend to drag considerably…to the point of being nearly unusable. Does the increased bandwith in the G5 help this? Or is it mainly a software coding problem…such as a lack of multiprocessor support, etc.?
MM
Mike McBride
Apr 15, 2004
I’m on a dual 2GHz G5 with 2GB RAM and had the same problem with CS screen redraws. I was testing the CS 30 day trialware before upgrading from PS7, which doesn’t have this problem. PS7, on my system, runs fast, and after upgrading to OSX 3.0 (Panther), the problem I was having with PS7 closing suddenly and without warning disappeared.

My solution was to "not" upgrade to CS until the problem is recognized and corrected, which is unfortunate because there are many new and cool tools in CS that I need in my daily work.

I hope Adobe listens.

Mike McBride
R
Rick
Apr 15, 2004
In article ,
"Mike McBride" wrote:

I’m on a dual 2GHz G5 with 2GB RAM and had the same problem with CS screen redraws. I was testing the CS 30 day trialware before upgrading from PS7, which doesn’t have this problem. PS7, on my system, runs fast, and after upgrading to OSX 3.0 (Panther), the problem I was having with PS7 closing suddenly and without warning disappeared.

My solution was to "not" upgrade to CS until the problem is recognized and corrected, which is unfortunate because there are many new and cool tools in CS that I need in my daily work.

I also tried the CS trial. So far, not impressed. Slow on both a G4-400 and a G3-500 iBook. The G4 has a gig of RAM, the iBook, 384.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections