BM
Posted By
Becky_Marcum
Mar 31, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
With all this info on how to save an image so everyone on both platforms can read it, I have a question. I have tried saving an image as described….as a tiff with either Mac byte or PC byte but still, some pc’s cannot read these files. I am a graphic designer so I have to be able to produce files that ALL pc’s can read. I have a Mac so sometimes this is quite a challenge. So my question is this. Basically, when you save an image on a pc, it comes across as a "Pictureview" image which can be opened through pictureview and Photoshop. Is there any way to save an image as a pictureview image on a Mac? It seems that all pc’s can read this format.
Thanks for your help
B

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 1, 2004
If the PC can’t read the file – you did somethign wrong in transferring the file.

The TIFF byte order makes no difference.

The only thing a Macintosh user has to do to make their files readable on Windows is use the correct file extension (which Photoshop does by default).

PictureView isn’t a format – it’s a default picture viewer (like Preview on OS X).
BM
Becky_Marcum
Apr 1, 2004
So, basically, if I saved the files for pc’s, if they can’t read it, do you think it is something on their end? Some pc people can read the file, some cannot.
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 1, 2004
It could be something on their end, or something in the way you transferred the file.

If some can read it and some cannot, I’d expect operator error.
BM
Becky_Marcum
Apr 1, 2004
So elaborate.
I was told this by a printing company who deals with this on a daily basis. To make sure a PC can read the
files, you must save as an eps file with tiff 8 bit preview and ASCII format, or save as a tiff with IBM PC Byte order with no compression. This is what I have done and some pc’s STILL cannot read it.
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 1, 2004
Their EPS instructions are correct – their TIFF instructions are pointless.

And it still sounds like an error in transmission (email, server, user on the other end, etc.), not in saving the file.
BM
Becky_Marcum
Apr 1, 2004
Oh. O.K. Thanks! I’ll still keep trying because it’s too big of a job to pass up because they can’t read my files.
R
Ram
Apr 1, 2004
Becky,

It would help if you responded to what Chris keeps saying. How did you transfer the files? Email? on CD? Over a network?
TT
Toby_Thain
Apr 1, 2004
Are they trying to open the file with Photoshop? If not, you could check the image mode, channel depth etc that you are using. E.g., many programs will not be able to open a CMYK TIFF but can use an RGB TIFF just fine (same applies to JPEG interchange). You’ve turned off compression – good idea.
BM
Becky_Marcum
Apr 1, 2004
I burned the images on a cd. I am now thinking that the problem is with my cd burner after doing some tests with a pc I have here. I have the program Adaptec Toast and for some reason, it keeps switching itself on how it is read. I set up a set of extensions in the control panel to use when I am burning a cd to be used on a pc but for some reason I don’t think it is working properly.
PH
Paul_Hokanson
Apr 1, 2004
What version of Toast are you using?
BM
Becky_Marcum
Apr 1, 2004

4.1.2 and I have two operating systems on my computer because my printer will not run in OSX (even in classic mode)…that’s another long story. ANYWAY, I’m thinking of updating everything, including printer, so hopefully it will take care of all of this. I am on my way to a printer right now to let them reburn my cd because they have the most recent version of Toast and then I am going to see if the PC can read it. If it can, then I know it is the cd burning equipment.
A
allenatl
Apr 1, 2004
As mentioned, set the compression options to "NONE" when saving TIFF files for use on both PC’s and Macs.
AK
ashley_karyl
Apr 1, 2004
As a matter of interest, I am dealing with a photo library which insists that all submitted files are saved in PC byte order. I asked whether this was really necessary and was told that they are set up for PC and that any files sent in Mac byte order would be automatically rejected. Is there any good technical reason why they should insist on all files being like this?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 1, 2004
Windows IT guys are a little strange — and not always that well informed.

One corporation for whom I create web Ads. will reject all folders that i upload unless i have run them through Cocktail’s droplet to kill any "DS Store" files.
And any websites which I create for hosting on their Server MUST have all component files named in the ********.*** convention (which means .html MUST always be .htm).
GP
Graham_Phillips
Apr 1, 2004
Maybe the software they’re using can’t cope?
RW
Rene_Walling
Apr 1, 2004
Maybe the software they’re using can’t cope?

Or maybe _they_ can’t cope <grin>
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 5, 2004
Ashley – no, there is no technical reason. And if they’re that foolish, I’d be running away from them.
C
C._Cheatham
Apr 7, 2004
My 2 cents:

Perhaps the problem is not so much that they can’t read the files, but that the format of the CD is incorrect. Isn’t it the case still that CDs need to be burned in a way that they can ge read cross-platform? Burned either for Mac or PC, OR burned as ISO 9600 which can be read by both?

Or is this all antiquated info?
AK
ashley_karyl
Apr 7, 2004
They agency I am dealing with also insist that the CD’s are burned in ISO 9660, which I can comply with although I would rather send it using the Toast hybrid format. I think they are just very PC centric and tend to think everything has to be done according to PC standards because they once read that 95% of computer users are running Windows. They seem to have forgotten that nearly all printers and graphic designers, not to mention picture editors at magazines plus art directors are working with Macs.
AK
ashley_karyl
Apr 14, 2004
OK, now this really has me fed up. I am trying to create an action so that the conversion to PC Byte order can be done quickly to satisfy this stock agency but there is a problem!

When I am recording the action, before I get to the option to save in PC Byte order, I have to say where the files will be saved and the net result is that all subsequent files will always be saved to that location, whereas I have a whole series of folders and sub folders and I would like them to remain saved in their existing place over writing the old files and not where the one sample image was recorded. Does anybody know a way around this?
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 14, 2004
Send the agency macintosh byte order files and see if they ever notice (they shouldn’t, because all current software doesn’t care).

Or point them to the TIFF spec. and prove that it doesn’t matter.
AK
ashley_karyl
Apr 14, 2004
The latest data I could find was an on-line PDF document on Tiff 6 spec written in 1992. Is there anything more recent? This already states that the byte order isn’t a problem, so if they are having issues I have to wonder just what sort of set up they are using.

As ridiculous as it may seem, they really do seem to be obsessed with this and reject images immediately if they are sent in Mac Byte Order. Actually the whole set up is extremely PC biased and they seem to be blissfully unaware that the world of graphics, art buyers etc is largely inhabited by Mac users.
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 14, 2004
That is the latest full TIFF spec.

If they’re having issues with TIFF byte order, they need a psychiatrist, or to get rid of their Windows 3.1 machines.

I’d be running away from these folks as fast as possible.
TT
Toby_Thain
Apr 15, 2004
You can also use tiffcp <http://www.libtiff.org/man/tiffcp.1.html> (part of libtiff <http://www.remotesensing.org/libtiff/>) to change the byte ordering outside of Photoshop.
AK
ashley_karyl
Apr 15, 2004
Given that there is no modern day relevance to Byte Order for either PC or Mac, wouldn’t there be a case for eliminating this option with the next version of Photoshop and just having one or the other chosen by default?

Surely this is a case where the design of Photoshop could actually be useful for removing some outdated concepts rather than continuing them.
TT
Toby_Thain
Apr 15, 2004
wouldn’t there be a case for eliminating this option with the next version of Photoshop and just having one or the other chosen by default?

So which would you have? Mac Photoshop saving Intel ordered files, or PC Photoshop saving Motorola ordered files? 🙂

The usual solution is to have an Easy mode that hides the control and picks a default and an Advanced mode that lets you make up your own mind.

T
RW
Rene_Walling
Apr 15, 2004
Given that there is no modern day relevance to Byte Order for either PC or Mac, wouldn’t there be a case for eliminating this option with the next version of Photoshop and just having one or the other chosen by default?

No! some of us with older equipment need the option as we have hardware that will only read one or the other.

For example, I need to keep PS 5.5 running because the save a copy gives me an option unavailable in subsequent versions of PS (remove all non-image data) that I absolutely need for my LVT film imager.

Toby’s suggestion is much better, have an easy mode where the option is hidden, but give us access to it if we need it.
AK
ashley_karyl
Apr 15, 2004
That’s fine by me. How about a general option in the preferences allowing you to either select the byte order every time or simply choose one by default? Its not so much a question that choosing one byte order rather than the other is a problem, just that it causes unnecessary confusion in many cases.

I am now arguing with this agency who can’t justify their requirement on a technical basis but still insist that it is done this way simply because the images will otherwise be rejected as a matter of policy. Quality guidelines are essential but only when they mean something.
J
JasonSmith
Apr 15, 2004
So how can they tell how the file was saved?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 15, 2004
Some of these companies seem to have filtering software, like Pitstop, which they can set to look for particular file attributes. If your files don’t match their formula precisely (or contain any extra files such as Apple’s "DS Store") your files get automatically rejected.

There is nothing wrong with your files — only with the outdated cast-iron algorithm which is being used to guard their gates!
AK
ashley_karyl
Apr 15, 2004
I think that when they go to re save it, Photoshop automatically shows the existing byte order and obviously if its set to Mac all the PC tech people break down and start crying for some unknown reason.
AK
ashley_karyl
Apr 15, 2004
Ann, have you ever noticed that its always PC users placing limitations on Mac users whereas we just get on with the job and work with whatever they throw at us?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 15, 2004
Yes!
We are dealing with limited minds…with limited resources.

Fortunately, we are not similarly burdened and can usually find ways to work around their limitations.
RW
Rene_Walling
Apr 15, 2004
Ever notice how the people placing silly limitations on us are never ever the people who have to do anything for a living. They just get to tell others what to do (and how to do it).
TT
Toby_Thain
Apr 16, 2004
guidelines are essential but only when they mean something.

ashley: spot on.

But we still don’t know whether it’s a policy thing or whether their (braindead) systems enforce the limitation. But the TIFF Spec was always clear – and it is common sense – that any TIFF reader that doesn’t support both orderings (which is child’s play, especially if you use an off-the-shelf library) is broken.
LS
lindsey_stock
Aug 6, 2004
I have had the same problem re saving as tiff for pc. The problem is it’s Alamy, one of the biggest agencies in the world, and who pay maximum percentage to the photographer. So they can’t just be igored or run away from, as suggested. I am emailing them about this – I cannot even seem to find a way to save in any pc format. Perhaps I’m missing something or I’m so mac mad that anything indicating pc just ain’t pc!
LS
lindsey_stock
Aug 6, 2004
I’ve just found a possible solution – save as psd then save that as tiff so that the choice box comes up at least, then save as IBM etc.

Hopefully that’ll work
AK
ashley_karyl
Aug 6, 2004
Lindsey, you are basically right except that there is no need to save it first as a PSD. Just take the file and save it once in Tiff format and select PC byte order. As far as I know Alamy is the only agency stipulating this and another photographer told me he had asked them about the PC Byte Order. They confirmed that it wasn’t actually necessary, however, this doesn’t seem to have pushed them into actually dropping it as a submission requirement. Alamy are very PC centric and this is just another hangover from that way of thinking.

Its easier just to save them as they want rather than argue about it.
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Aug 6, 2004
Lindsey,

Thanks for reviving this thread. This one got by me and I’m glad I caught it. The 42 posts on a subject that seems so trivial caught my eye. Great input from everyone.

The question I wish would be answered is if it doesn’t make a difference of the byte order either way, why is it included as an option in PS, anyway?

IMO, it’s the entire computer industry’s fault for creating such techno-paranoia on issues as seemingly simple as this. With all the upgrading, troubleshooting, buried tips, tricks and secrets I’ve come across in the same manner as this thread, I find it hard to blame anyone for their paranoia in wanting to cover all bases rather than hunt up, verify and adhere to an old TIFF spec.

The thing is in the world of computers issues such as these don’t really ever get resolved/changed and it always winds up being someone elses fault. But we’re still able to keep cranking it out without a total collapse.

Remember Y2K?
LS
lindsey_stock
Aug 7, 2004
Ashley, The problem was I had already scanned and saved some images in Mac tiff and couldn’t see how to re save them in the PC way. Am I missing something?

CHeers anyway

Lindsey

(ps from now on do you think I should save as pc as it’s cross platform in case this arises again? Grateful for your help!)
R
Ram
Aug 7, 2004
Lindsay,

TIFF files saved the normal way on a Mac can be opened on a PC. Unless you’re working with one of the few remaining (clueless) entities that demand otherwise, there’s no reason to save it any other way. Regular TIFF files are both Mac and PC compatible.

Or am I missing something here?
R
Ram
Aug 7, 2004
Never mind, Lindsay. I just went back and realized you are in fact dealing with a dinosaur. Disregard my previous post. Sorry.
LS
lindsey_stock
Aug 7, 2004
Ramon,

The reason is because Alamy.com insists that you send the pics in PC tiffs and state that Mac tiffs will be refused. Stupid, yes, but there you are. Have a look at their website and see all the rules and you will understand what all the fuss is about. I have followed all their rules, I think and will now send a cd and see if the system works!

Lindsey
R
Ram
Aug 7, 2004
We posted almost at the same time, Lindsay. 🙂
LS
lindsey_stock
Aug 7, 2004
Ramon,

Too late, had posted the above. Nevermind! Are you saying Alamy is a dinosaur? Strange considering they seem to put themselves forward as being of the present and future. Well, there you go! I’m only using them to take images refused by other libraries cos not quite in line with their subjects, so theymight not even take them. well, we shall see. I even burned my cd in ISO 9660 as wanted – what a perfomance this is turning out to be! So let’s hope I make money! Wish me luck!

LIndsey
R
Ram
Aug 7, 2004
Just referring to that particular requirement of theirs.
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 7, 2004
Some older software can’t handle different byte orders, and some poorly informed agencies apparently still think there is a real difference between byte orders (yes, hard to believe, but sadly true).

Also, some people building printers, cameras, etc. need a good way to save both byte orders to test the things they are developing.

And it kind helps in developing and testing Photoshop as well.
AK
ashley_karyl
Aug 7, 2004
As far as the PC byte order is concerned for Alamy the easiest thing to do is create an action and then run it as an automated batch on all the images to save them as tiffs in the PC byte order. Preparing images for Alamy is a bit of pain, especially the first time but it does become a little more automatic over time. The hardest part is effective key wording.
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Aug 7, 2004
…."poorly informed agencies"?? 8|

I guess with even the information technology boom and the internet, you can bring a horse to water, but….

….well you know the rest. 8/
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Aug 7, 2004
The real issue her is economic whereas corporations rely on out sourcing via contract employees who have no business making decisions other than what gas to put into their car.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections