EA
Posted By
Earl Alexander
Sep 2, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
After I open PE2 and attempt to open the browser, I get this noise from the floppy drive and browser will only open about an inch from bottom of screen. If I maximize, it will sometime come up, but continue to make the noise. It will continue like this until I X out of browser. It has done this since it was installed 2 weeks ago. It was suggested last week to clear the preference and restart. I did this, it will be ok until I shut down, then it starts all over again. I shouldnt have to set new preference each time I log on, should I?
It has me stumped. Why would it have anything to do with the floppy drive or cause a noise from it as if it’s trying to open from there?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

P
Phosphor
Sep 2, 2003
Earl, this is your second time through this (I remember the last post!) How about giving some computer information. I think you did last time, but it would be good to repeat it for this thread. Thanks! 🙂
EA
Earl Alexander
Sep 2, 2003
OooPs Sorry about that, Windows 98se, IE6, DELL XPS T700r. 128 ram. PE2 was purchased retail, boxed set. Thanks
NS
Nancy S
Sep 2, 2003
Earl,

You are extremely short on RAM. You are going to run into frustrating speed issues for sure and probably many of the filters will slow to an absolute crawl. My suggestion would be to go to
www.crucial.com
www.kingston.com
or anywhere, really, and at the minimum, double or triple that RAM. The prices have really dropped making it very affordable. I would buy as much as I could afford. Your experiences with the program will be so much better.

Certainly would be best to not have anything else open/running when you use PSE with 128.

It is such a great program with lots of capability.
PL
Paul L UK
Sep 3, 2003
Try sticking a black floppy in your drive, when the browser window opens, make sure you don’t have the a: drive opened.

It’s possible the browser is looking where it did the last time it was opened, the a: drive.

Rich C came up with a more technical answer a while ago, if I find it I’ll post it

Paul

Found it, <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128@@.2ccd1c27>

(Similar to mine)
EA
Earl Alexander
Sep 3, 2003
Nancy and Paul, Thanks to both of you for the information. Memory is something I have considered up-grading for a while. I guess it’s time. I will also try your suggestion in the meantime Paul. I’m sure with a little luck and time, the problem can be solved. Thanks again.
EA
Earl Alexander
Sep 3, 2003
Paul, After using the blank floppy, it seem’s to have taken care of the problem. Will keep my fingers crossed, but on several starts and re-starts, browser opens with no noise. I will still up-grade my memory.
EA
Earl Alexander
Sep 11, 2003
I guess there must be a solution to my floppy drive noise when trying to open the browser, but it’s just eluding all of us. At my last post a few day’s ago, I thought it was taken care of,(it did open and close ok a few times) but no, if I don’tt have a floppy in the drive when I try and open browser, it chatters like crazy and wont open. I have upgraded my memory to 384MB and even with no other programs open, the problem is still there.Re settingng preferencedoesn’tn’t help. I’ve tried all the solutions that have been posted, and thanks to all of you for replying.
PL
Paul L UK
Sep 12, 2003
Do you use images from floppies from the browser ?
Do you use floppies for any other program ?

Could be wrong, but just wondering if you have used a floppy in a previous seesion on the computer, but not used Elements, that the OS is picking up the ‘history’ as it were of the last use of Explorer, and assuming there is a floppy in the drive.

Paul
EA
Earl Alexander
Sep 12, 2003
Paul, no, I hardly ever use the floppy and havent for months so I dont know why it always tries to access it only when I use PE 2.
PL
Paul L UK
Sep 14, 2003
No shortcuts anywhere that point to the a: drive ???

After this I’m running out of ideas 😉

Paul
EA
Earl Alexander
Sep 14, 2003
Thanks Paul, No short cuts pointing to "A" drive. Every solution that has been suggested, I have tried to no avail for a permanent fix. I’m stumped too.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections