Posted By
eddie
Mar 22, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,
As the subject line states,if I have meged layers and saved the image a psd file can the layers be umerged when the file is opened at a later date. I am using photoshop 8

Regards
Edward

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
Bigguy
Mar 22, 2005
‘Fraid not…. once you merged layers you are stuck with it…. As much chance of turning a cake back into eggs, sugar, flour etc 😉

Guy

eddie wrote:
Hello,
As the subject line states,if I have meged layers and saved the image a psd file can the layers be umerged when the file is opened at a later date.
I am using photoshop 8

Regards
Edward
JD
John DKC
Mar 22, 2005
Im not sure exactly but I do know if the document is still open you can go to the history
back to a previous point to where you where before you merged the layers "eddie" wrote in message
Hello,
As the subject line states,if I have meged layers and saved the image a psd file can the layers be umerged when the file is opened at a later date.
I am using photoshop 8

Regards
Edward

R
Rob
Mar 22, 2005
No, once you’ve flattened the image, you’ve told Photoshop to discard all the layer information and place all your elements on one layer. It no longer has any way of knowing anything about the former state of the various elements.

eddie wrote:
Hello,
As the subject line states,if I have meged layers and saved the image a psd file can the layers be umerged when the file is opened at a later date. I am using photoshop 8

Regards
Edward
E
eddie
Mar 23, 2005
Hi All,
Now that’s a bummer for sure,but we all live and learn so I will have to save the image ungrouped so to speak and then save a second image flattened or merged.
Pity because in Fireworks you can save something a PNG file and when re opened you can ungroup the image,maybe it would be nice if Photoshop could come up with a similar idea.
Anyway thanks for your help,I will bear it all in mind the next time I create a master piece and then realise it could have been better:-)

Eddie

"eddie" wrote in message
Hello,
I am using photoshop 8

Regards
Edward

B
birdman
Mar 26, 2005
Why on earth would you not save your "masterpiece" in psd format to begin with? CD/DVD storage is cheap.
What are you thinking when you flatten before you save?
One of the reasons to use layers is so the original remains at the bottom of the stack unaltered.
I have taken to saving projects on rewritable DVDs: the massive storage capacity allows for creating folders with multiple versions of the image all in one place.
E
eddie
Mar 26, 2005
Hi,
Thanks for giving me ear ache 🙂
I am pretty new to Photoshop and we all have to learn.
Some do it the easy way – some learn the hard way by their mistakes. No prizes for guessing which category I fall into.
But live and learn and yes from now on I will leave the files un flattened or unmerged when saving the .psd file.
Like I said in Fireworks you can group layers – save the image as a PNG file and reverse anything you have done after saving – closing and re opening a file later.
Yep now got a stack full of re writeable DVDs – so just need to start again and re create the image I originally had.
Have a nice day.
Eddie

"bmoag" wrote in message
Why on earth would you not save your "masterpiece" in psd format to begin with? CD/DVD storage is cheap.
What are you thinking when you flatten before you save?
One of the reasons to use layers is so the original remains at the bottom of the stack unaltered.
I have taken to saving projects on rewritable DVDs: the massive storage capacity allows for creating folders with multiple versions of the image all in one place.
H
harrylimey
Mar 26, 2005
"eddie" wrote in message
Hi,
Eddie

Hi Eddie

You will always find plenty of people ready to ‘state the obvious’ – ad nauseam
The first reply was all that was needed!! the rest overkill.

Harry
E
eddie
Mar 26, 2005
Hi Harry,
Yes I realise that some maybe "overkill" but it gives people a way of airing their opinions which most of the time is not a bad thing providing they are not flaming or being down right obnoxious as I see in some posts. Even in "overkill" there some times appears a little gem that newbie’s wouldn’t have known.
My thanks and appreciation to all those who answered,back to re create the "master piece" saving the psd file in tact of course. Eddie

If we can be any more help please reply
Regards
Edward
Webmaster
http://www.cloudninebridal.co.uk
"Harry Limey" wrote in message
"eddie" wrote in message
Hi,
Eddie

Hi Eddie

You will always find plenty of people ready to ‘state the obvious’ – ad nauseam
The first reply was all that was needed!! the rest overkill.
Harry

G
goodidea1950SPAM-SPAM
Mar 29, 2005
"eddie" wrote in message
: Hi All,
: Now that’s a bummer for sure,but we all live and learn so I will have to : save the image ungrouped so to speak and then save a second image flattened
: or merged.
: Pity because in Fireworks you can save something a PNG file and when re : opened you can ungroup the image,maybe it would be nice if Photoshop could : come up with a similar idea.
: Anyway thanks for your help,I will bear it all in mind the next time I : create a master piece and then realise it could have been better:-)

What does ping do? It can’t merge and then take apart because that would mean that is wasn’t merged. There is no reason to merge a file unless you want to make it permanent. You can merge, save a copy and unmerge by doing the undo or history. And you can copy the merged layer and paste it after the merge is undone and you’ll have both any of which can be unchecked from visibility. I don’t see how there could be anything more flexible, really. But I’d like to hear about fireworks.
G
goodidea1950SPAM-SPAM
Mar 29, 2005
Does Fireworks keep its history record as a permanent
part of the file? That would be interesting, so that you could keep your history even after closing. Photoshop
does save in Ping format.

"eddie" wrote in message
: Hi Harry,
: Yes I realise that some maybe "overkill" but it gives people a way of airing
: their opinions which most of the time is not a bad thing providing they are
: not flaming or being down right obnoxious as I see in some posts. : Even in "overkill" there some times appears a little gem that newbie’s : wouldn’t have known.
: My thanks and appreciation to all those who answered,back to re create the : "master piece" saving the psd file in tact of course. : Eddie
:
: —
: If we can be any more help please reply
: Regards
: Edward
: Webmaster
: http://www.cloudninebridal.co.uk
: "Harry Limey" wrote in message
: : >
: > "eddie" wrote in message
: > : >> Hi,
: >> Thanks for giving me ear ache 🙂
: >> I am pretty new to Photoshop and we all have to learn. : >> Eddie
: >
: > Hi Eddie
: > You will always find plenty of people ready to ‘state the obvious’ – ad : > nauseam
: > The first reply was all that was needed!! the rest overkill. : >
: > Harry
:
:
JV
Jurriaan van Hengel
Apr 3, 2005
Sometimes the merge of layers was to many actions ago to undo by History. To make sure you can undo your actions, make a ‘snapshot’ before major actions. Check the help function for the How To.

eddie wrote:
Hello,

Regards
Edward
E
eddie
Apr 4, 2005
Hi Cat,
Not sure if you had an answer to this but when ever I have save a fireworks file as a PNG file I have always been able ungroup the saved file so that if I had several layers and saved them as one layer – when I open the file later I can just select – modify – ungroup and all the layers are still there.
if you haven’t used fireworks there are a couple of great features in it that Photoshop could do with.
Eddie

"cat herder" wrote in message
Does Fireworks keep its history record as a permanent
part of the file? That would be interesting, so that you could keep your history even after closing. Photoshop
does save in Ping format.

"eddie" wrote in message
: Hi Harry,
: Yes I realise that some maybe "overkill" but it gives people a way of airing
: their opinions which most of the time is not a bad thing providing they are
: not flaming or being down right obnoxious as I see in some posts. : Even in "overkill" there some times appears a little gem that newbie’s : wouldn’t have known.
: My thanks and appreciation to all those who answered,back to re create the
: "master piece" saving the psd file in tact of course. : Eddie
:
: —
: If we can be any more help please reply
: Regards
: Edward
: Webmaster
: http://www.cloudninebridal.co.uk
: "Harry Limey" wrote in message
: : >
: > "eddie" wrote in message
: > : >> Hi,
: >> Thanks for giving me ear ache 🙂
: >> I am pretty new to Photoshop and we all have to learn. : >> Eddie
: > Hi Eddie
: > You will always find plenty of people ready to ‘state the obvious’ – ad
: > nauseam
: > The first reply was all that was needed!! the rest overkill. : >
: > Harry
:
:

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections