Posted By
Lemmyfan
Dec 3, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello!
Does anybody knows how to recover (I assume) corrupted TIFF files?

It all happened when the system (W98SE, at the time) crashed, leaving me with a folder of TIFFs which wouldn’t open anymore.

Photoshop 6 and CS2 say "Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document" when I attempt the Open or the drag&drop way.
Open As gets me "Could not complete your request because the file is not a TIFF file".

When opening the folder, ACDSee 2 Pro says "The source data format is not recognized" and doesn’t show a thumb/preview, although it reads the size (in KBs) of the file.

Does anybody know what could have happened and how/if it is possible to recover the files?

Thanks,
Enrico

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

D
Dave
Dec 3, 2007
On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 14:52:40 +0100, Lemmyfan
wrote:

Does anybody know what could have happened and how/if it is possible to recover the files?

Thanks,
Enrico

Any possibility that you saved it in Lab mode
while under the impression it was in RGB?

Dave
L
Lemmyfan
Dec 3, 2007
On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 22:12:27 +0200, Dave wrote:

Nope. I have set up an action that perfoms certain tasks and saves the files in RGB. All the files, corrupted and not, are saved the same way…
Enrico
T
Tacit
Dec 3, 2007
In article ,
Dave wrote:

TIFF supports Lab. That would not create a problem.

More likely, the disk directory became severely corrupted, and the files were partially or fully overwritten. If that is th case, nothing can save them; the data are *gone*.

Remember: If you don’t keep backups of your files, you do not own them. You’re just leasing them from Fate. Every night, when you go to bed, assume that you’ll wake to find your hard drive ruined and all your files lost beyond all hope of recovery. Act accordingly. You’ll never lose a file.

Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
L
Lemmyfan
Dec 4, 2007
On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 17:50:07 -0500, tacit wrote:

TIFF supports Lab. That would not create a problem.

More likely, the disk directory became severely corrupted, and the files were partially or fully overwritten. If that is th case, nothing can save them; the data are *gone*.

I’m afraid this is what might’ve happened, and what bugs me to pieces is that those files were the most recent ones that I was to burn on DVD in a few days, when I had enough to fill one.
I recovered part of the disk with Restorer2k Professional, and it found ALL of the older ones (that I already saved on DVD or CD a couple years before) in perfect shape, but the new ones were all unreadable.

Remember: If you don’t keep backups of your files, you do not own them. You’re just leasing them from Fate. Every night, when you go to bed, assume that you’ll wake to find your hard drive ruined and all your files lost beyond all hope of recovery. Act accordingly. You’ll never lose a file.

That’s why I now back-up on three different HDD and then also save on DVD. Dammit! 😉

Enrico
T
Tacit
Dec 4, 2007
In article ,
Lemmyfan wrote:

I’m afraid this is what might’ve happened, and what bugs me to pieces is that those files were the most recent ones that I was to burn on DVD in a few days, when I had enough to fill one.
I recovered part of the disk with Restorer2k Professional, and it found ALL of the older ones (that I already saved on DVD or CD a couple years before) in perfect shape, but the new ones were all unreadable.

That makes sense. If a disk’s directory becomes damaged, then it’s recently-written files most likely to suffer as a result.

Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections