PE
Posted By
phoney.email
Jul 28, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
A weird one… (Apologies for being somewhat off topic.)

Is it possible to date Kodak negative film by the writing along the edge e.g. "5035" or "CP 100 5094", etc?

This is either batch or process identification so I expect at least a rough date of when the film was made could be deduced from it, but you probably have to be a Kodak high priest to gain access to this arcane knowledge and after you’re told they have to kill you… 😉

Or the range may simply be too vague to be useful.

Yes, yes, you’re right… I should’ve written down the exact date when I took the pictures.

Don.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

AD
Alan D-W
Jul 28, 2003
"Don" wrote in message
A weird one… (Apologies for being somewhat off topic.)
Is it possible to date Kodak negative film by the writing along the edge e.g. "5035" or "CP 100 5094", etc?

The 4 digit figure is the film type ID. Off hand I don’t know what 5035 and 5094 are, but I do know that 6415, for example, is Technical Pan 120 roll film. It follows that, at least from those 4 digits, you could only possibly derive a date range for when a picture was taken, being the period of time during which that particular film type was in manufacture. Alan
PE
phoney.email
Jul 29, 2003

The 4 digit figure is the film type ID. Off hand I don’t know what 5035 and 5094 are, but I do know that 6415, for example, is Technical Pan 120 roll film. It follows that, at least from those 4 digits, you could only possibly derive a date range for when a picture was taken, being the period of time during which that particular film type was in manufacture.

That was the idea. I’m only concerned with chronology (helping to organize my scans) rather than the exact date. But as I feared it’s probably just too wide a range to be meaningful. It was long shot…

Thanks anyway, Alan!

Don.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections