MH
Posted By
Marvin Horlick
Aug 27, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi. I have a question about ‘printing selected area’. This option appears in the print preview dialog box, but it is grayed out. I tried selecting an area in my image, then I went into print preview, but the check box ‘print selected areas’ remains grayed out. Anybody know how to print selected areas only?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CS
Chuck Snyder
Aug 27, 2003
Marvin, I tried it and it works fine for me. I made a selection with the Rectangular Marquee tool, then went into Print Preview and had the option to print the selected area. BUT….when I tried to make a selection other than a rectangular one (for instance, an ellipse), the print selected area option does gray out. Bottom line appears to be: can only print selected rectangular areas.

Chuck
PD
Pete D
Aug 27, 2003
Chuck,

I am sure you know but for Marvin and anyone else if you want to print an eliptical or other shape:

Once the shape selection is made go to "Layer/New/Layer Via Copy" and create a layer of the shape. Then click on the "eye" of the background layer to make it invisible and then you can print the selection.

Pete (D) (Got to use the D now since there are other Pete’s around here now 🙂
CS
Chuck Snyder
Aug 27, 2003
Pete (the Florida Flash):

That’s a good one – thanks!
JF
Jodi Frye
Aug 27, 2003
Pete, hi! 😉

the florida flash ..lol
PD
Pete D
Aug 27, 2003
Hi Jodi,

Got to check the challenge site to see if you have anything new. But gotta go right now….back later.

PeteD (the FF?…)
JF
Jodi Frye
Aug 28, 2003
Pete, hmmmm, how’s ’bout the ‘florida flasher ‘ ? Will that be OK ? 😉
MH
Marvin Horlick
Aug 28, 2003
Thank you Chuck and Pete,

Both methods you talked about work: the rectangular marquee tool and the alternate method of choosing the selection using the ‘eye’ icon in the layers pallette.

Thanks again! – Marvin
CJ
Carl J Baxter
Aug 30, 2003
Pete,
I am trying to print an ellipse with a feathered edge. I have made the selection of the ellipse and made a "Layer via Copy". The selection has been made since I can change the brightness of the image inside the ellipse. However, when I click on the "eye of the BG" the whole image goes away. I have tried both locked and unlocked conditions of the layer.
If I try to use the "Effects – Vignette", it tells me no selection has been made.

Carl
PD
Pete D
Aug 30, 2003
Carl,

(Excuse this if it sounds too basic. Oh and check the image mode and make sure it is RGB).

It is not necessary to "unlock" the background to create a Layer Via Copy. Just make a selection and then from the Menu Bar at top of screen Layer/New/Layer Via Copy.

When you have made this "Layer via Copy" there should be ‘two’ thumbnails in the layers palette (two layers). One for the BG and one for the selected copy. If you click the "eye" of the BG turning off the visibility of that layer the other layer should be visible (and still selected if you have done nothing after making this new layer).

One thing also….. is that when you make the "Layer Via Copy" you can set a "feather" (Look on top of the screen to the right of where the Marquee tools are shown… try 20 or 25) and you may find you get the effect you are looking for.

If that look does not suit and you want a Vignette you must first "select" an area to apply the Vignette. You can use the rectangular or the Oval, or circle selection tool. Or you can also use the selection brush but it will probably need a brush size of 300-500 for a "one click" selection.

Hope this helps 🙂

Pete

I am trying to print an ellipse with a feathered edge. I have made the
selection of the ellipse and made a "Layer via Copy". The selection has been made since I can change the brightness of the image inside the ellipse. However, when I click on the "eye of the BG" the whole image goes away. I have tried both locked and unlocked conditions of the layer.
If I try to use the "Effects – Vignette", it tells me no selection has
been made.
Carl

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections