Posted By
Byron Gale
Aug 26, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Richard,

Paul Shipley includes a "Mono Infrared" in his free Elements add-on package. I haven’t played with that effect, so don’t know if it suits your purposes. Several of the other parts of his package have turned out to be very helpful for me, though.

You can find a link to the package on Grant Dixon’s Challenge web site. Open one of the topics, here, named Challenge ##, and follow the included link to Grant’s site. From there, go to the links page. It’s in the "Free Tools" section.

(Of course, I could have posted the exact URL here, but don’t know if that’s encouraged… besides, you’ll find lots of other neat links at Grant’s page)

Byron

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

LK
Leen Koper
Aug 27, 2003
About infrared: there is an interesting cheap trick to produce infrared images with a digital camera using processed skide film as a filter.
It can be found at the very informative website of Wim Wiskerke, one of my fellow countrymen.

<http://www.xs4all.nl/~wiskerke/artikelen/infraroodeng.html>

If you check out his website, although it is mainly in Dutch, you will find many interesting links and articles. Absolutely worth exploring! A real goldmine for the image maker!

Leen
P
Phosphor
Aug 28, 2003
Richard,

Here’s one tutorial for achieving a pseudo-infrared b&w effect: http://www.leppphoto.com/learn/articles/infrared.htm

This is for photoshop and uses the channel mixer and curves but don’t let that worry you. You can get access the channel mixer from PE using the free hidden powers III add-in and you can get access to curves from the free Shipley add-in if you don’t have the Hidden Powers book add-in.

This works pretty well on foliage but it doesn’t adequately simulate the effect of infrared on blue skys. You should be able to simulate that by decreasing the blue contribution using the channel mixer.

Bob
RG
Richard Greenwald
Aug 29, 2003
Pete,
Thank you for your tip, but I tried that a while ago, and it doesn’t have the effect of infrared that I’m looking for.I did it one night playing around on PSE2 when it was released; one image was an actual infrared image I took, and the other was the same shot color; and I didn’t write down what I did, and now that I need it, I can’t re-create it. I will download Shipley’s plugins and do it with levels. Thanks again.

Richard
RG
Richard Greenwald
Aug 29, 2003
Bob,
Thanks for your tip on Shipley’s plugins, I will download them as soon as I am able.

Richard
PD
Peter Duniho
Aug 29, 2003
"Richard Greenwald" wrote in message
[…] I did
it one night playing around on PSE2 when it was released; one image was an actual infrared image I took, and the other was the same shot color; and I didn’t write down what I did, and now that I need it, I can’t re-create it.

Well, keep in mind that the same technique isn’t going to work for different images. Any of the methods to convert color to grayscale are going to depend on what the original colors in the image are. Whereas an actual infrared picture doesn’t take the colors in the subject into account at all (except inasmuch as darker colors tend to radiate heat more).

So even if you had a combination of settings that produced the effect you’re looking for with one image, those same exact settings would most likely not work for another (unless, of course, the other image had exactly the same kind of color distribution as the first).

Pete
MO
Max Oyler
Sep 9, 2003
I am looking for an effect similar to the one attached. Is that possible with simply using PSE2 or do I need to purchase an infra-red filter for my digital camera?

An example picture can be found at:

<http://www.heliopan.com/heliopan_infrared_filters.htm>
RB
Rebecca_Bibler
Oct 18, 2006
Can someone guide me into a quick way to make a black and white digital photo look like it has an infrared effect?
B
Bernie
Oct 18, 2006
Just saw this in PS User mag. Jan/Feb ’06
Use the channel mixer with monochrome checked.
Play with the sliders.
Then filter>distort>diffuse glow.

This was starting with a color image.
L
Lundberg02
Oct 20, 2006
Invert it.
I’ve probably seen more infrared video than I have visible. White for black is about as good as anything, and very easy.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 20, 2006
It’s not just a question of "white for black" — it’s more complicated than that.

Infrared-sensitive film responds to emitted heat as well as to light.

Characteristically, skies will be rendered as black; and live foliage will be rendered as white — as will hot objects like a heater or domestic iron.
M
Maxxlava
Oct 20, 2006
Exposure (PS plug-in) by Alien Skin has a good infrared filter, that is user-tweakable.
L
Lundberg02
Oct 21, 2006
It’s even more complicated than that, Ann.
There are essentially three "windows". Near infrared, 3-5 micron, and 8-12 micron. What you see in these windows is somewhat different.
A natural scene where almost everything is at the same absolute temperature is showing you emissivity differences not temperature. Man made objects without intrinsic heat have every large emissivity differences in some cases, and they tend to have flat tops which reflect the sky temperature which can range from 220 K near the horizon to 30 K at zenith.
Saddam, the military genius, told his commanders not to paint their tanks and let them rust so that they would be harder to see in the desert. This of course made them stand out like beacons in our infrared sights, because there’s almost two orders of magnitude difference in the emissivity of rust and paint.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 21, 2006
Interesting background info. there! Thank you.

My previous post just touched on the basic way that photographic B/W IR FILM usually renders a scene.
B
Buko
Oct 21, 2006
Saddam, the military genius, told his commanders not to paint their tanks and let them rust so that they would be harder to see in the desert.

hard to understand how he could be considered such a threat to the US.
E
eltee
Oct 21, 2006
think… drunk driver or paroled assassin
(than it’s easy : )
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 22, 2006
Think Haliburton … then it’s even easier.
E
eltee
Oct 22, 2006
not for me, it isn’t
(but you can [free country])
R
Ram
Oct 22, 2006
I don’t think that even Bush 43 considered Saddam a "threat". Not even he believed Saddam had WMDs. If he had had them, the Israelis would have taken them out.

If you need further proof, look at the inaction now that the whole world knows the North Korean dictator has them.
E
eltee
Oct 22, 2006
"further" is the wrong word
(just ask Japan)
Saddam had WMDs from the US, and didn’t want to give them back Israel wishes he didn’t have AlSamouds; he shot about 30 lower range Silk Worms at them, without VX, but they knew he had it, they taped their windows
R
Ram
Oct 22, 2006
No matter what spin you put on it, Bush lied.
E
eltee
Oct 22, 2006
yah, he said "vigilantes" : )
R
Ram
Oct 22, 2006
What you try to impart to all your political comments.
E
eltee
Oct 22, 2006
like… which one?
R
Ram
Oct 22, 2006
You know. You are not an idiot. Don’t play dumb.
E
eltee
Oct 22, 2006
So why do you believe the "idiot’s" we didn’t find them? (and why was that spun into: "there weren’t any"? : )
R
Ram
Oct 22, 2006
There you go…

I’m not going to click on any link of yours, when you label "yesterday" something that happened in 1999 in another thread. What’s the use? I know, unfortunate faux pas of yours, but it somehow seems appropriate to what I’m trying to tell you.
E
eltee
Oct 22, 2006
Did you also read there: "feeble excuse"?
(1999 was a good year, as was 1998, 1997, etc.)

I didn’t "label" anything, that’s Kath’s spin
R
Ram
Oct 22, 2006
YOU typed "yesterday". Period.
E
eltee
Oct 22, 2006
I did not. "yesterday" was pasted, part of the quote; not my typing (what’s that? Caps? : )

eltee, "Non Seppo sports" #24, 21 Oct 2006 8:16 pm </cgi-bin/webx?14/23>
R
Ram
Oct 22, 2006
This is ridiculous. It’s totally off topic and it’s leading nowhere. I’m out of here.
E
eltee
Oct 22, 2006
Of course; Buko, who politicized this topic, Ann and you, cut and run.

Buko, "Infrared effect" #7, 21 Oct 2006 9:40 am </cgi-bin/webx?14/6>

You less but didn’t make any valid points anyway : )
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 22, 2006
Some of us had more intelligence than to "drink the Koolade".
E
eltee
Oct 22, 2006
there’s nothing wrong about drinking koolaid Koolade
<http://allrecipes.com/recipe/killer-koolade/detail.aspx> if it’s done in addition to reading the news (all the news) and parsing them : )
R
Ram
Oct 22, 2006
You’re a moving target, always going off on tangents. Eltee. That’s why.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 22, 2006
I do read the news in depth: including several European papers — which is probably more than most people do.

And I remain convinced that we were NOT told the truth regarding Iraq — and am equally positive that a decision to attack that country had already been taken by the incoming U.S. government prior to January 2001.
E
eltee
Oct 22, 2006
Ramón, I’d stop moving if you’d tell me to and discuss one item of news in depth.

Ann, I’m sure you’re correct about the "decision to attack" but it was 12 years too late; Saddam never complied with the parole decisions and was bribing Russia, China, France, etc to support the oil for food program forever unchecked while researching poisons, killing people, bragging about WMDs, rewarding "martyrs", contracting the assassination of Bush Sr., courting uranium suppliers…

If you don’t know any of these items of news (each of which deserve invasion; and there were more) you didn’t read enough; if you know them you’re way too forgiving. A President cannot afford that luxury.
Yes, mistakes were made; I make mistakes when I work—when I don’t I make less : )
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 22, 2006
Saddam never complied with the parole decisions and was bribing Russia, China, France, etc to support the oil for food program forever unchecked while researching poisons, killing people, bragging about WMDs, rewarding "martyrs", contracting the assassination of Bush Sr., courting uranium suppliers… >

Maybe.

But none of this was any business of the USA nor of the UK either — and the UN only agreed to act because they were shown documents that we now know to have been "dodgy" (to say the least!) if not knowingly downright fraudulent.
CB
charles badland
Oct 22, 2006
Yes, mistakes were made; I make mistakes when I work…

But your mistakes at work don’t result in the death of 600,000 + people. (or… I hope they don’t. I guess it depends on where you work.)
E
eltee
Oct 22, 2006
Ann,
Tell me the name of one document and I’ll point to proof of the reality of two (even the "Yellow Cake" affair revealed at least an attempt at breaking the embargo and it’s not over yet)

The UN expects the US to do its job; it doesn’t get done otherwise and it’s the US who carries much of the burden of UN Peace (23%) and UN War (28% of the expenses and most of the military)

BTW, the next two contributors to UN’s finances are Japan and Germany, both of which were invaded by the US at one time.

Charles your numbers seem to be a mistake
I think you confuse wars.
The war the US waged against Saddam lasted about 20 days and it’s finished.
CB
charles badland
Oct 23, 2006
Oh. Were you talking about 41’s war or 43’s war?
If 43, it is unconscionable to use semantics (“war… against Saddam”) to somehow excuse the number of deaths W’s actions have brought about.

< http://www.jhsph.edu/publichealthnews/press_releases/2006/bu rnham_iraq_2006.html>
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 23, 2006
The "War" (in LT’s terms) has led to an "Occupation" which has resulted in the deaths of nearly as many Americans again as Osama killed on 9/11 — plus some 650,000 Iraquis.

Remember that the main players here are Oil Patch Kids.
I remain convinced that Bush, and his poodle Blair, would never have manipulated the facts so that they could get the go-ahead to attack Iraq if Iraq had not contained OIL.

It was going to be a "cake-walk" … and then they could use Iraq as a launch-pad to attack and take-over control of Iran. But their appalling arrogance, incompetence, and ignorance of the history and politics of the region, has resulted in a ghastly mess which may easily reverberate for another 200 years.

General Franks may have won the War; but this President, and his henchmen, have lost the Peace.
JS
John_Slate
Oct 23, 2006
Great way to scare off a new forum participant guys.

She must think we’re a bunch of raving lunatics.

Oh wait… um… never mind.
E
eltee
Oct 23, 2006
The "Peace" that this President doesn’t control started in the 1920’s with the Muslim Brotherhood, and is called (like the original) Jihad.

Ann, the US doesn’t steal Oil, it buys it, but yes, some arm twisting goes on in the process. I haven’t been driving since 2001; are you?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 23, 2006
Of course I do: a great big comfortable American gas-guzzler to boot. (We live in the country and there are no subways in the forest.)

But that doesn’t mean that I think one country should bomb another to smithereens, and then occupy the mess that remains, so that they can ensure their supply of oil.

Neither do I think that greed for oil justifies the horrifying number of deaths, with even greater numbers permanently maimed, that have resulted from this dishonest, ill-conceived and badly executed escapade.
E
eltee
Oct 23, 2006
But that doesn’t mean that I think one country should bomb another to smithereens, and then occupy the mess that remains, so that they can ensure their supply of oil.

Who does? You’re guessing here.

We don’t bomb Kuwait, Saudi Arabia or Venezuela to secure oil. If you lump the deaths caused by Jihad with those caused by the war Saddam begged for, your numbers are correct but so far you didn’t acknowledge Jihad in any way and didn’t comment on the Brotherhood.
I felt pride and hope when I saw the pictures of women voting. They voted before, under Saddam, like I did under Ceausescu I can tell you how different that is, but I don’t have all day and we abused the hospitality of the forum.
B
Buko
Oct 23, 2006
like I did under Ceausescu

Yeah we know you long for those days and want the same thing for this country. Well you got it rigged elections and the Republicans are rigging these next elections too.

Now that’s democracy.
AR
alan_ruta
Oct 23, 2006
"She must think we’re a bunch of raving lunatics. "

I’d rather be considered a raving lunatic than an apothetical sheep/sloth.

"Ann, the US doesn’t steal Oil, it buys it, but yes, some arm twisting goes on in the process. I haven’t been driving since 2001; are you?"

Yeah and the :"great" actor Ronald Reagan hadn’t undone all the altertative fuel legislation that Jimmy Carter had put in place people we wouldn’t need to steal or buy oil from at such high prices (death, maiming).

alan
E
eltee
Oct 23, 2006
Buko,
first, speak for yourself ("we" don’t know… nothing
[I mean you, on this topic] : )
second, you got no proof for… nothing and
third, I went on hunger strike against Ceausescu, so I’d like you and Ann (who made a similar comment in the past), to stop making them. Thanks!
B
Buko
Oct 23, 2006
but your blind support of Bush and his ilk say different.
E
eltee
Oct 23, 2006
we don’t have the same definition of "blind"
and Bush’s "ilk" is mine also
(yours too, but I won’t go there : )
B
Buko
Oct 23, 2006
Bush’s "ilk" is mine also

that mean’s you are a liar.

a cheater.

a murderer.

a despicable person who’ll do anything even if it hurts hundreds of thousands of people.

no thank you. I want nothing to do with with this kind of American.
E
eltee
Oct 23, 2006
Sue him! [me?]
(or at least learn the meaning of "libel")
B
Buko
Oct 23, 2006
You said you were his ilk.

That mean’s you are the same.

I don’t comunicate with your type.

I’m done.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 23, 2006
Well you got it rigged elections and the Republicans are rigging these next elections too. >

And it was so easy too.

Watch the movie (and no, it wasn’t made by Michael Moore but by Princeton University.)

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJOyz7_sk8I>

Or read the full security analysis report at:
<http://itpolicy.princeton.edu/voting/>
E
eltee
Oct 23, 2006
Ann, The Democrats have a rare opportunity to gain seats in the House. Don’t act so desperate!, people will start… thinking : )
E
eltee
Oct 24, 2006
Benedict Arnold is not the President : )
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 24, 2006
But Diebold would have made him one if they had been around at the time.

Apparently Diebold now have the unfettered power to hand the Presidency to the highest bidder.

Scary, isn’t it?
E
eltee
Oct 24, 2006
more like… stupid
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 24, 2006
Diebold won the Contract to supply voting machines on this President’s watch — a multi-million dollar favour that might expect a "return".
E
eltee
Oct 24, 2006
seal wax : )

Ann, you’re dreaming.

<http://www.diebold.com/dieboldes/pdf/princetonstatement.pdf>
AR
alan_ruta
Oct 24, 2006
If you are going to comment on the security of the Diebold voting machines you can use a press release from the company that makes the machines. You need to find completly independent agencies that do tests.

Its like when Bush says he tells the truth. Huh? You have to go to other sources.

C’mom.

alan
CB
charles badland
Oct 24, 2006
Diebold- whose primary business is making ATMs, yet can’t (won’t) make an electronic voting machine that leaves a paper receipt trail for vote verification… unlike every other machine they make. Hmm…
AR
alan_ruta
Oct 24, 2006
A paper receipt would allow for a recount. Can’t have that. We are turning into a 3rd world country. 40 million witout health insurance. We live in a world of Orwellian doublespeak. The economy (aka wall street) is booming but that is only for the top 1 percent of the country.
The home buyers market is booming but do they tell you that 40 percent of the homes bought are 2nd homes bougth by the rich for investment or vacation. Its not for the basic amercian dream thats fer sure.

alan
L
Lundberg02
Oct 24, 2006
I knew the Diebolds and they are ordinary honest people who work hard and I won’t stand for this slander against them.

Everyone’s opinion on the war in Iraq is uninformed and pointless. The Muslims are the enemy du jour and we have to fight them whether we like it or not.
AR
alan_ruta
Oct 24, 2006
No one is saying the Diebold are crooks, just that they should make their machines give receipts so there is a paper trail.

Computers and software aren’t perfect–that is why independent testing companies are needed to validate security. Do you think (bad example–bad people) tells the world about all the security flaws in their software?

alan
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 24, 2006
However didn’t a certain Dave Byrd assure the Bush team that he would ensure that they would win the election.

Just in the name of friendship for one Texan from another?

That would be:
Dave Byrd
President Diebold Election Systems,
Allen, Texas
E
eltee
Oct 24, 2006
use your head
seal wax in the key lock—end of chapter
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 24, 2006
It often seems more a case of your eyes and ears being the repositories for said sealing wax?

We cannot, and should not, accept Elections that are not transparently fair and honest and the the elections since 2000 have proved to be anything but.

And the Diebold partisan statement should have immediately disqualified them from playing any part in the supply of voting equipment.
E
eltee
Oct 24, 2006
sue!
CB
charles badland
Oct 25, 2006
Slander?!!?
Typical Neocon reaction to statements of fact.
Slander! Treason! Traitor!
Fact: Diebold’s primary business is producing ATMs
Fact: Diebold refuses to make an electronic voting machine that produces a paper trail. Fact: The CEO of Diebold is openly and adamantly partisan. Fact: For democracy to work, voters MUST have faith that their vote is accurately recorded and can be verified. Even the appearance to the contrary be must NOT be tolerated.
B
Buko
Oct 25, 2006
I went on hunger strike against Ceausescu

All those hunger strikes have damaged LT’s brain, no wonder he is a Bush worshiper.

So anytime he says something stupid in support of Bush, now you know why. He has brain damage from his fasting.
E
eltee
Oct 25, 2006
Is this the Photoshop forum?
Hello!
The Princeton paper said: no fraud.

Buko you’re getting way too personal.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 25, 2006
I went on hunger strike against Ceausescu>

So why are you so keen to support what is rapidly becoming a police-state Dictatorship here?
E
eltee
Oct 25, 2006
no shame!
but… OK
Because I ran from people like Buko and you, Ann, from the Left. Are you two trying to take the US… back for England?
(or is my conspiracy not as good as yours? Answer quick, before you get arrested and molested by a Republican cop : )
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 25, 2006
Just being realistic.
E
eltee
Oct 25, 2006
Fortunately, most Americans (51% : ) know what reality is, facts and… bitching.
R
Ram
Oct 25, 2006
Where do you come up with "51% of Americans"? Are you referring to the alleged majority of those pathetically few who bothered to vote and actually had their vote counted?

Laurentiu, this time your stance is utterly untenable.
E
eltee
Oct 25, 2006
It was a hint to the results of the last election, Ramón.

I know about Mark Twain’s "Disraeli statistics" (damn statistics and lies [not in that order] : )
B
Buko
Oct 25, 2006
LT has brain damage from his hunger strikes.

This is the only explanation for his hatred of democracy.
AR
alan_ruta
Oct 25, 2006
Does that 51% include the Evangelicals (you know the ones that send there money to help kids in Darfor (sp?)–yeah, sure) that Karl Rove now calls "nuts", long afer the election was over because he no longer needed to fear monger to get their vote?

Just google and you will find it.
ush aides court evangelicals; privately call them "nuts" and "goofy" … Sounds like the religious right and the white house are continuing to screw each …
mixtersmix.blogspot.com/2006/10/ bush-aides-court-evangelicals-provately.html – 82k – Cached – Similar pages

Hey, if people want to be selfish, don’t care if young children in the US don’t have proper education or health care–I don’t like it at all, but I accept it. Just ell the truth. Don’t tell us you do what the Generals on the ground in Iraq ask, but we later find out any general that asks for anywthing different from what the commander in chiel (you really want a guy that can barely speak English making decisions that affect the world?)j wanted, was retired (usage verb).

Its just one lie after another as our pook kids that were conned into the military on a promise of an education, are killed and maimed. One the grand scale I suppose 2800 dead isn’t many–just more than was killed at ground zero–it is the tens of thousand of Americans and 100s of thousands of Iraqis maimed for life.

It was better under Saddam. Iraq is a haven for terrorists now that we’ve made it that way.

alan
R
Ram
Oct 25, 2006
It was a hint to the results of the last election,

Well, that’s far from "51% of Americans". At most, even if the results are to be taken at face value, less than "25% of Americans" can be said to have voted for Bush.

A democratic election brought Hitler to power too. And Hugo Chávez.

I have no doubt that 43 is the worst US president ever.
E
eltee
Oct 25, 2006
What’s 1+1 Buko?
Buko, come here boy!
Take your finger out of your nose!
No, don’t put it in your… damn! He did it : )
(did you know that bucã means half-ass in Romanian? it does)

It was better under Saddam. Iraq is a haven for terrorists now that we’ve made it that way.

Better for you Alan

Sorry Ramón, I was typing while you posted last.
I apologize for the rude interference
B
Buko
Oct 25, 2006
Go on another hunger strike LT only this time don’t go off it.

there is no a in my name.

only you would not know that, you are brain damaged.
E
eltee
Oct 25, 2006
sic down! Buko
(buca would be the Imperative [l’Impératif?] for Buko)
B
Buko
Oct 25, 2006
Dear mister brain damaged LT.

I am not Romanian.

Go starve yourself!!!
E
eltee
Oct 25, 2006
I know you’re not, but what am I?
(don’t ask Ann, she thinks I’m a Romanian)

Hey! for the Lounge’s sake (and Neil’s if he cares), could you admit that you politicized this thread?
I’m not holding my breath (or stop eating : )

Buko, "Infrared effect" #7, 21 Oct 2006 9:40 am </cgi-bin/webx?14/6>
B
Buko
Oct 25, 2006
Go starve yourself do everyone a favor.

I’m out of here.

You just can’t communicate with someone who is brain damaged from starvation.
R
Ram
Oct 25, 2006
Neil hasn’t been to the Photoshop forum since July that I remember. He is still very active in his usual hangout at another Adobe forum.
KH
Kath_Howard3
Oct 25, 2006
Someone called? 😉

Looks like this place is becoming an annexe to the Lounge – except that LT’s not banned for a month in here. Or maybe two.
KH
Kath_Howard3
Oct 25, 2006
Clearly we have stricter standards over there 😉
E
eltee
Oct 25, 2006
It is encouraging, Bucã, that you didn’t misspell "communicate" this time. (what’s "scary—wooo" for me is that Ann asked for my work papers [in the UK] and then called the US a Police nation : )

Hi, Kath!
wanna speak about fluency? bait? Seppos?
KH
Kath_Howard3
Oct 25, 2006
I see you watch your language over here. The hosts must be scarier than Len.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections