ML
Posted By
mark luesken
Aug 20, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I bought a Canon Powershot S45 that can produce RAW format pictures. I have no difficulties to handle this format with the accompanied Canon software like Zoombrowser.
However, as soon as I want to download a RAW based picture with Photoshop Elements it will not work.
First, it will not show the files in the browser, even if "All File Types" are selected. I noticed also that the extension of the Canon files are CRW instead of RAW listed in the file type list of Photoshop Elements. That seems already strange to me.
If I try to download it directly from harddisk via Windows Explorer it will give an error that the file format is not recognized.
A change in file extension from CRW to RAW manually will not do the trick either. In my Adobe manual is a paragraph mentioned that I can open RAW files so I am really confused why it will not work this way.
Do I need a new Twain driver? I read somewhere in the forums about a plugin to handle RAW files for Photoshop Elements but I found nothing relevant in the download section.
Does anybody has a clue how to solve this?????

Thanks in advance,

Mark Luesken :frown:

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

LK
Leen Koper
Aug 20, 2003
Mark, RAW files are unprocessed data. As each camera manufacturer applies different algorithms to process these data there is no uniform RAW format.
Either you use the Canon software or you buy the Adobe Raw file converter which seems to do a terrific job.

Leen

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections