BH
Posted By
Beth Haney
Aug 14, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Oh, that’s cute! I’ve never paid much attention to the Users’ Guide, so I didn’t know it would do that.

The only thing I noticed when I was experimenting was that there was a slight delay before the information about the new tool showed up. Are you giving it enough time? Just a thought, since I don’t know whether you’re the "patient" or "impatient" type. Also, if you go to the Window area of the main menu, there’s a place at the bottom to "Reset all Palettes." You might try that. If it still doesn’t work, try deleting the Elements Preference folder.

With Elements closed, click on the start up icon, then make a quick grab for (Win) Control, Alt, and Shift keys (Mac) Command, Option, and Shift. Hold all three down until you get a screen asking if you want to delete the Settings. Say Yes.

If neither of these suggestions correct the problem, repost and tell us and also note what platform and OS you’re using. (Always a good idea, since this forum serves both.)

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

RB
Richard B Testa
Aug 14, 2003
Jack
Just to confirm that on my computer the information in the hints palette changes as I move (hover) the pointer from one tool icon to another. I have windows XP. I’m sorry I cant help you. Someone may come along who can.
Ben
RC
Richard Coencas
Aug 15, 2003
I think Beth’s suggestion to delete prefs is the best way to start. Post back if that doesn’t do the trick.
BS
Barry Sardis
Sep 6, 2003
I too have just installed PE 2 and am going through the tutorials and noticed this problem. It is okay when I first start, but it appears that after doing a bit of activity, it loses the flyover ability. I’m running it on a W2K Pro system. I also tried using the Recipes window and nothing happened until I restarted.
LG
Lorace Graham
Sep 6, 2003
I had these problems when I first started last week. When I’d try to grab the Layers palette from the well, everything would shift in front of it, and I could never get it. And the hints pallet kept opening.

Finally, I started pulling everything out of the well onto the desktop. There it was – Layer pallet – all by itself, so I pulled it out, too, and threw everything else back in.

So, it continues to sit on the desktop, just where I want it. I don’t know if this helps, or not. But you could try pulling the hints pallet onto the desktop and close it from there, or something?

I don’t really know. I just learned, though, that if you fight with it a little, it learns you mean business. LOL

Lorace
NS
Nancy S
Sep 6, 2003
If one is running a screen resolution of 800×600 for their display, things are jammed together. You might have a better experience if you increase your resolution to 1024×768.

Barry,

How much RAM do you have in your machine?

I know the specs cite 128 Mg in System Requirements, but I think that is really rather inadequate for decent performance. It sounded to me as though you might be running out of system resources as you use PSE, it is a memory hog, tons of math behind the scenes.

Nancy
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 6, 2003
I added more RAM this summer and the little similar problems I had with palettes from time to time disapeared. I had originally started with 384mb’s and now have 896 and I can still get more but all seems peachy now. I think RAM really does make a difference when it comes to photoshop….all versions….despite the ‘system requirements’ on the box.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections