LG
Posted By
Lance Gray
Jul 20, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve only seen this happen twice on two different systems recently and I can’t figure out why? The Droplet is created in Photoshop 6 (because when created in 7 and run in PS6 the file > open command doesn’t show the file path) — regardless, the problem is that on two machines I’ve seen a droplet do NOTHING when a file is dropped onto it. Does anyone know why this might happen?

I’ve always had success using every operating system, but I’ve now seen 2 computers (XP & 2000) have the situation where the droplet just acted as if nothing was dropped onto it to execute. I’ve created hundreds of droplets and actions in both PS6 and PS7 all with success on many computers until now.

Could there be a program running in the background that is not letting the droplet work? In fact, generally if Photoshop is not open…then using the droplet will engage Photoshop to open…not on these 2 computers though???

Any help or clues would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

Lance Gray
PixelPops Design
<http://www.pixelpops.com>

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

M
markoc398
Jul 23, 2003
Hi Lance,

I’ve asked this same question on the forum before and can’t get an answer either. I have 5 computers, some with xp and 2000 and droplets don’t work on any of them with ps7. But droplets always worked fine with ps6, so I keep both versions on the machines (which is a waste in my opinion) and use my ps6 droplets when I need. Its the only workaround I have come up with. Let me know if you find a solution.

MarkOC
Y
YrbkMgr
Jul 23, 2003
Lance (and Mark),

Help me understand something that isn’t really clear from the (Lance’s) post.

If you create a droplet in version 7, and run it on version 7, does the droplet run? Or are you trying to "port" a version 6 droplet over?

I am automation "centric" although I don’t use droplets – frankly, I cannot see the utility when performing File|Automate|Batch on a folder of files works the exact same way, and there’s no saving in overhead, since PS has to load to run the droplets anyway.

I have found that I can successfully run droplets when PS is already open, but if it’s not already before the drag-n-drop, results are unpredictable – sometimes they run fine, other times, there’s a file limit, etc.

If you wouldn’t mind clarifying what I ask in the second paragraph, I’d be grateful, and who knows, maybe it’s some tiny little quirk.

Peace,
Tony
Y
YrbkMgr
Jul 25, 2003
with the exception that it always stops at the ‘save as’ to confirm quality setting

Ah HA!

Fundamental change between version 6 and 7; in version 7 you MUST use Save AS in your action. Then toggle it’s dialog to OFF. In the droplet itself, make sure and check Override Save As Information.

Peace,
Tony
DM
dave milbut
Jul 27, 2003
drop folders instead of individual files. iirc there was a discussion about a file name length limit when using droplets. put all files to be converted in one folder then drop the folder.
LG
Lance Gray
Jul 28, 2003
Alright…well, here’s what a lot of experimentation finally cleared for us. Personally, I have always had success with the Droplets on all of my systems. It didn’t matter if they were created in 6 or 7…they always ran on both versions. One thing I have discovered though is that if you create a Droplet in 7 that points to a specific folder such as "C:/Program Files/PixelPops/myfile.jpg" — well, in 6.0 it will just see an OPEN command without the directory being included. That being said, I now create all my Droplets in 6 and they work fine in 7.

– – –

On to the problem of Droplets not working. I’ve now seen this happen on two computers with identical issues of the Droplets doing absolutely zero when "executed". Well, after a lot of headaches we noticed that the Droplets and Actions for that matter had no Windows association applied to them. In fact, half of the filters were not even on this machine wherein I could see tons of association for .8bf, etc. files on all other computers, but not the one that wouldn’t run the Droplets.

What was the answer? Well, in both cases, simply reinstalling Photoshop 7 corrected the problem. I guess it was just a bad install on two machines (one was ours, and another was on one of our beta testers systems) — again, after fixing our system with a reinstall, we contacted our beta tester, he reinstalled and this fixed the Droplet issue there as well. Believe me, I’m relieved it was that simple. We’re not sure how the Droplet became "unassociated" — but somewhere along the line, some program changed the way Photoshop looked at it. My guess is Irfanview, however, I have Irfanview on all my other computers…who knows, but again, the "fix" was to simply reinstall PS7.

All my best,

Lance Gray
PixelPops Design
www.pixelpops.com
Y
YrbkMgr
Jul 28, 2003
Odd situation Lance, but I’m glad you got it sorted.

Peace,
Tony

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections