JW
Posted By
James_Wilsey
Mar 4, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I setup and maintain well over 100 macs at a design agency- the primary app is Photoshop and the files can be large. I have most of the users on OS 9 as we consistently have problems with Photoshop in OS X quitting out RANDOMLY (usually dissapearring without an error message) and frequently. Another issue is crashing while applying a transform, which happens regularly. I have searched forum boards and am surprised at how few people are reporting this problem.

The machines have plenty of RAM, scratch partitions etc, and are otherwise well behaved. I have trashed prefs/ fixed permissions zapped PRAM etc. but the problem continues. Adobe says to "reformat drives, reinstall system and reinstall Photoshop. Yeah Right. I was hoping CS would fix these problems, but it is just as bad (or worse).

I have checked the crash logs (I’ll copy one up later today) and have been unable to find anything to help.

Are any other people seeing these problems? Anyone have any solutions?

Thanks- looking fwd to replies-

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

GB
g_ballard
Mar 4, 2004
Witout more to go on — what you have ruled out, what — I would look for what the Macs have in common…here is my canned rant:

<http://www.gballard.net/psd/troubleshootpurgepsd.html>
NP
Navarro_Parker
Mar 4, 2004
I had a problem like this — it was linked to some third party utility I was using. It was very annoying, but I can’t remember what it was.

Are you using any haxies? Norton? Are you running the latest Panther/Jag version? Is Classic running at the same time? Saving to a network volume? Running Photoshop from a local drive?
JW
James_Wilsey
Mar 4, 2004
I’ve had this problem on every model of mac from G5 dual 2GHz, Dual mirror, Quicksilver etc. All machines are up-to-date w/ firmware, Adobe, and OS updates. No haxies or unreliable sw or drivers are installed. No other apps have problems on these machines- only Photoshop. My users are also reporting this problem on their home machines (that I did not set up) as well as other friends outside machines.

Not running Norton (ever). Have checked directories of drives w/ Disk Warrior. Classic is not running- work is all on local drives.

I’ve been scouring the web and found other people are reporting similar problems. One potential solution I am currently testing is deleting all adobefnt.lst files. I have heard that these also cause problems in OS 9….
< http://megatron.netsight.co.uk/pipermail/underscore/2004-Jan uary/026184.html>

After that I found a couple of more things to try via adobe support (?!) <http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/2bca2.htm>

I have had these crashes w/ newly installed machines- It’s not really practical to reformat/reinstall the machine when it crashes once. It is difficult to diagnose/troubleshoot this problem as it happens randomly and rarely can the problem be reproduced in a repeatable fashion.

Thanks for the replies- looking fw to more-
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 4, 2004
Could it be a problem with your Users’ fonts?
And did some of them perhaps "borrow" the company’s fonts for their home computers?!
B
Buko
Mar 4, 2004
I have OSX(10.3.2) running on my G4 24/7 Photoshop CS also runs 24/7. as did PS7 before. never had it crash.

I think Ann might have the answer if all the fonts on all the machines are the same. what type of font management is being used??
MM
Mike McBride
Mar 5, 2004
James,
I’ve been having the same problem with my MAC dual G5 with OSX, 2GB RAM and PS 7. Adobe recommended I delete my preferences file and reboot, creating a new one. The crashing stopped for a few weeks and slowly has been starting up again, one to two times each day and getting worse. I’m going to delete my Preferences file again and see if the crashes stop again.

I can’t imagine what in the Prefs files is doing this and Adobe seems to be clueless on the problem.

Hope this helps,
Mike
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 5, 2004
A few things you might want to check:
Have you cleaned out your AdobeFnt.lst files (of all flavours) recently? Have you ruled out conflicts between System fonts and your other fonts? Which Font Manager are you using?
What % RAM allocation have you set — and how much RAM do you have in all? Have you done the "Switch Time Zone" routine?
Have you "Repaired Permissions" or run "Cocktail"? When you deleted your Photoshop Prefs., did you remember to delete "com.adobe.Photoshop.plist" too?
MM
Mike McBride
Mar 5, 2004
Hi Ann,
What do you mean by "cleaned out" the AdobeFnt.lst? I don’t believe I’m using any font manager. Should I be? I have RAM allocation set at 95% and have 2GB of RAM. Is this a good setting? How do I "Repair Permissions" and what is "Cocktail?"

Thanks for your help,
Mike
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 5, 2004
Do a Search for "adobefnt" and delete all that you find — except for "AdobeFnt.db".
(Don’t worry, they will re-create themselves as needed.

Set your RAM allocation back to 65%.

Get a Font Manager — my choice would be FontAgent Pro. — and manage your fonts using it. Replace certain Apple System Fonts (such as Times, helvetica etc.,)with Type 1s or OTFs with the same name.

Use Disk Utility to "Repair Permissions". ALWAYS run this utility both before and after installing any software.

Cocktail is a Utility that you can buy from this Link which will help you to keep your System in good order.
<http://www.macosxcocktail.com/>
NP
Navarro_Parker
Mar 5, 2004
Try running DeepSix, which was made specifically to remove Adontfnt files.

<http://www.ifthensoft.com/index2.html>
MM
Mike McBride
Mar 5, 2004
Thanks Ann and Navarro, for taking the time to help and for giving detailed advice.

Mike
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 5, 2004
Hope it helped — do let us know if you solve the problem.
MM
Mike McBride
Mar 5, 2004
Ann,
While we’re on the subject, I have "Cache Levels" set to what I think is the max – 8. Is this a problem, and what effect does raising or lowering the number have on PS’s performance.

Also, I set "History States" to 200, so I can make big jumps back. However, at a certain point when I’m working on an image the History Palette goes black. Even though the History States are there and can be selected, they are not visibile in the History Palette. Is this normal?

Continued thanks,
Mike
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 5, 2004
I have my Cache Levels set to 8 too and have not run into trouble — yet. But we have been advised to set it on 4.

Try reducing your History States to about 60.
You can always Save History Snapshots as you go and revert to, or paint from, those at any time.
MM
Mike McBride
Mar 5, 2004
Ann,
Do you work for Adobe? You seem to know all about PS. Thanks for all your help.

BTW, do you know of a way to save the History Palette intact when saving a file, so it can be used to edit the same image later on?

Mike
B
Buko
Mar 5, 2004
do you know of a way to save the History Palette intact when saving a file, so it can be used to edit the same image later on?

can’t be done as far as I know
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 5, 2004
You can either record what you are doing as an Action;
or you might find the "History Log" helpful.

You can find more about it in Photoshop Help in the "Working with the Edit History Log" entry.

No, I don’t work for Adobe — but I am very flattered that you thought I did!

:~)

From Photoshop Help:
<<
To set Edit History Log options:
In Mac OS, choose Photoshop > Preferences > General. In the History Log Options pane, choose one of the following options: Metadata to store entries in the metadata of each image. Text File to export the text into an external file. You’ll be prompted to name the log file and choose the location on your computer where you want to store the file.
Both to store metadata in the file, and create a text file. From the Edit Log items pop-up menu, choose one of the following options: Sessions to include entries for each time Photoshop is launched or exited, and each time files are opened and closed (each image’s file name is included).
Concise to include the text that appears in the history palette in addition to the Sessions information.
Detailed to include the text that appears in the actions palette in addition to the Concise information. Choose Detailed if you need to keep a complete history of what has been done to files.
None to turn off the log.

To save the Edit History Log:
In Mac OS, choose Photoshop > Preferences > General. In the History Log Options pane, click the Choose button. Choose the location where you want to save the log, and then click OK.

DK
Doug_Katz
Mar 5, 2004
Ann’s lying. She works for Adobe. She’s responsible for the implementation of the dual scroll History palette that will ship with the next version of PS. She’s also responsible for the brand new Currency Scan and Currency Open commands in the next version
GP
Graham_Phillips
Mar 5, 2004
The ellipsis doesn’t render on my browser…
JW
James_Wilsey
Mar 5, 2004
First- Thanks for all the posts-

I’ve believe I tracked one problem down to a bad CPU. It was corrupting files when Photoshop quit out. Another user seems fine since deleting the adobefnt.lst files (for now). I’ve also been researching this problem futher in our offices (reviewing many long crash logs) and on the web. I believe this is a rather common problem.

First I was wondering about Ann’s comment- Have you done the "Switch Time Zone" routine? Detail please? I have also come across another "fix" that has worked for a while involving reordering the languages in the international pref pane then logging out and back in. This has actually worked (for a while) on machines where the quitting out was repeatable.

Maybe it’s just me- but does anyone think that a major software companies flagship product (which retails for $649) could be a bit more stable? I use other ‘high end’ programs for 3D, Digital Audio, Video Editing etc. that manage to not corrupt the preference files that they create, and run for days without crashing.

This OS X and Photoshop problem is putting enterprise customers in a bind. Our business is growing and we need to add more stations. We can no longer buy Macs that boot System 9. Adobe only sells Photoshop for OS X now. It is hard for me to "upgrade" a user that is currently very productive working in OS 9/PS 7.01 to a less stable OSX/CS….We are not upgrading our site liscense to CS now for this very reason.

I know new features are an important part of marketing software. I think a stable CS would be the best new feature and would generate a lot of sales (at least from my company…)
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 5, 2004
James:

Photoshop CS has been totally stable for me — I haven’t had a single freeze, or unwanted Quit, since I installed the CS suite about a week after Adobe started to ship it.

So whatever is causing the problems that you are experiencing, must be directly related to the set-up in your operation. I strongly suspect that it relates to your company’s fonts, your Font Management program or to some third-party software that you all use, as you are seeing the problem on so many different work stations. The bad CPU would only affect that one station. Your Server and its software could also be an issue.

The "Switch Time Zone" routine is just that:
Change your time zone to a different one and then change it back to your real one (and don’t choose GMT). Shut down. Reboot. Then trash all your Photoshop Prefs. before launching it.

And make sure that you are running the Cron scripts — either by leaving the Macs on 24/7 or by installing, and using, Cocktail.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 5, 2004
Doug:

The problem that I face is that certain Adobe engineers apparently refuse to follow my (very reasonable) instructions — or we would have seen the implementation of the dual scroll History palette two versions ago!

Someone also let Digimarc crawl all over the application. Whoever did that should be boiled in oil.

:~{(
R
Ram
Mar 5, 2004
Whoever did that should be boiled in oil.

I believe that’s called frying, and I agree the culprit should be fried in oil.
GP
Graham_Phillips
Mar 5, 2004
I agree the culprit should be fried in oil.

<nitpick>

If frying does mean boiling in oil, then being fried in oil presumably means being boiled in oil in oil?

</nitpick>
R
Ram
Mar 5, 2004
Well, you could fry the culprit in question in lard, or chicken fat.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 5, 2004
Oil gets hotter. No mercy will be shown.
R
Ram
Mar 5, 2004
Ah, but a slow torture might be more fitting than a quick death.
JW
James_Wilsey
Mar 5, 2004
That could be true.

As far as fonts- I have had the same problems with people who don’t use fonts- for example "finishers" who use only rasterized type, prepared by others. I have gone though our type library several times with Font Doctor, correcting any problems with the font files themselves. On system 9 we use ATM deluxe as a font manager (which I prefer- but it was killed by Adobe). On system 10 we are going with Suitcase, which is less than perfect, but I’ve found that when a font conflict w/ Suitcase occurs it may cause Suitcase to crash and Suitcase almost always reports which font caused the problem. Interesting that the people on OS9/PS 7.01 having almost no font related crashes and they are using fonts more than my OSX clients.

The machines are installed with the absolute minimum of software. Suitcase is the only ‘third party app’ that could be in question. Our servers are Xserves running Panther and Jaguar Server SW. They have been reliable and are well maintained, and our users know not to work directly from the server. Our machines are well maintained and kept current w/ firmware and OS updates. They run 24/7 for backup puposes and I do repair permissions and clear caches with cocktail when checking machines.

I wish I could pin it down to to just me or something I was doing wrong- but as I have been searching the web I have found a lot of other people having the same problem. A quick read of Adobe’s support page (http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/2bca2.htm) tell me I need to trash prefs, trash plists, run no other programs, run no third party programs, reinstall in safe mode, create a new user, trash icc profiles, etc. etc. until you have to reformat the drives and install from scratch. Hmmm – sounds normal to me….

I have many clients running OSX that are not running Photoshop and we have next to zero problems. Adobe has a history of very green .0 releases. We almost never install Adobe products til the .01 update. Maybe they will release a Photoshop that doesn’t corrupt it’s own support files….

Sorry if my tone is a little frustrared. It’s due to 10% of our computers on X requiring 90% of our support time, and our users losing work and time because of software failures.
R
Ram
Mar 5, 2004
On system 9 we use ATM deluxe as a font manager (which I prefer- but it was killed by Adobe).

ATM Deluxe 4.6.1 (4.6.1a if you are also using the AdobePS 8.8 driver) works fine if you boot straight into Mac OS 9.2.2, but it is NOT supported in Classic under OS X. Use ATM Light 4.6.2 (4.6.2a if you are also using the AdobePS 8.8 driver) for font rendering in Classic under OS X.

It also seems that either OS X or Photoshop is very picky about "older" PS Type 1 fonts (earlier than 1992?, others say 1995).
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 5, 2004
Some known bad fonts include earlier editions of Optima, Eras, Trade Gothic and Times NewRoman.

My only experience with FontDoctor (which was some years ago) was that it actually screwed-up fonts. It may have been improved but I have never used it since.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 5, 2004
It seems that you don’t need oil to fix Digimarc — microwaving will do:

<http://www.prisonplanet.com/022904rfidtagsexplode.html>
R
Ram
Mar 5, 2004
Font Doctor can be useful to make a preliminary identification of damaged fonts, but I would not advise using it it to "repair" them. Also, it may not find all troublesome fonts.
R
Ram
Mar 5, 2004
Ann,

Better to microwave Digimarc’s staff than money. Maybe we can still fry the Central Bankers, though.
JW
James_Wilsey
Mar 6, 2004
I am not running ATM deluxe in classic. We run it on the machines that boot OS 9.2.2., which run perfectly well. Classic is not running on the OSX photoshop machines.
Again, some machines are crashing even when only when the base OSX fonts are running, no third party extensions or even suitcase. I know that fonts are a major problem with photoshop crashes- but when a "fix’ like changing time zones or languages can fix a photoshop crashing problem while the fonts (and/or font manager) are the same as before and after, logically, there is something else going on.

This is the first time have posted to a forum such as this. I appreciate all of the info I’ve recieved and it has helped. I have been dealing w/ computers and computer problems for many years and know there is not always just one cause for a failure, and there’s not always a magic bullet that works every time. The enviormnent I’m in is like a petri dish, if something is going to go wrong, it will, and I wil see it happen over and over again. That is what is currently going on with OS X / PS.

I was hoping that CS would remedy some of the known problems w/ Photoshop but it hasn’t (so far, ….waiting for 8.01). In fact, half of our people w/ CS have switched back to 7.01 because of the slowness and persistant beachballing in 8. Again, looking fwd to 8.01…..
B
Buko
Mar 6, 2004
I was hoping that CS would remedy some of the known problems w/ Photoshop but it hasn’t

Just out of curiosity what are these know problems??

also how did you upgrade the computers to 10.3??
CC
Chris_Cox
Mar 6, 2004
James – some (if not all) of the beachballing is due to an Apple issue, they’re working on it.
P
povimage
Mar 6, 2004
Ann,

Digimarc really SHOULD be boiled in oil for the whole implementation of the CDS thing.. Tell you what? I’ll find the kettle and start the fire if you bring the oil..

We can even microwave the oil to heat it first, just for grins and giggles.

Speaking of microwaves… I’ve always wanted to try out that old story about "drying a poodle in a microwave." But they wouldn’t test that one out on "MythBusters," as they felt it was too inhumane to treat even a poodle that way. Maybe we could use Bruce Davis to test it? We can even toss some exploding RFID currency in with him to create a very Pac Rim "Chinese New Year’s" kind of festive atmosphere.

I think we just need to get Davis to show up.. Maybe if we tell him he’s getting an award as Photoshop Innovator of the Year… (I can’t believe Ernst & Young gave him Pac Northwest Entrepreneur of the year for 2003.. gag..)

Keith
JW
James_Wilsey
Mar 6, 2004
Known (tech) Problems with photoshop 7 and CS include:

Quitting out unexpectedly and randomly, with no error message. Why is this temporarily ‘fixed’ by changing time Zones or Languages?

Crashing when trying to apply Transform. I’ve been able to repeat this bug, and have often been able to ‘fix’ this by logging into a different user and back.

Corrupting the preference file, the plist, adonbefnt.lst, and ICC profiles etc… Corrupt prefs have been a hallmark bug for Photoshop users for YEARS. It is so common that most seasoned users have come to expect it. I no of no other apps (many costing below $649) that have this problem, to this extent. By the way we also use apps such as Maya, Final Cut pro, ProTools etc., apps that can be even more processor and disk intensive than Photoshop…

Also, as the agency where I work produces large, deeply layered, rather complex large format hi-res images, the 2GB lfile size limit is often a hinderance. Not a bug per se, but we were hoping that since CS came out and we have 64 bit G5’s with plenty of RAM, that might be addressed. Speaking of CS, I think most users feel that charging the full upgrade price to a new version w/ relatively few new features, along with the same bugs is rather….cheeky. It should have been called 7.1. Along with the forementioned slowness of CS compared to 7.01.

Maybe adobe could ship little fry-daddy’s w/ every photoshop box so paying customers can deep fry their prefs….
GB
g_ballard
Mar 6, 2004
James,

Sorry for your problems, but I don’t know where to go with that.

Maybe if you could get one of your hundred workstations working properly — like any one of the hundreds of thousands users running without your problems — you could add on the suspects and figure what the problem is.

Of course, you have made some valid points about some problems with 10.3.2/PS8.0…I read some users are so miffed with the "progress" (that many of us are embracing) that I understand your position.

I wish you luck — I can only imagine the sound of 100 quacking macs following you around 🙂
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 6, 2004
James:

I have never experienced any of your "Known Bugs" and I have never had to delete my Photoshop prefs since the day I first installed CS.

The suggested "Cures" that have been posted in this Forum are ways that others have found to repair damage which probably stems from faulty installation of software, or conflicts between various software programs, that may be installed on an individual’s own System and may be unique to that location. This is especially true of Fonts.

In an earlier post you mentioned that you had "only" Panther’s fonts on the machine in which you are using Photoshop. Your problem probably lies right there.

Do a search for Fonts. You will find fonts in:
System/Library/Fonts
Library/Fonts
Library/Application Support/Adobe/Fonts/Reqrd
Applications/Microsoft OfficeX/Office/Fonts
and maybe also in your Users/Library/Fonts.

Have you actually checked to see how many versions you have of Helvetica, Helvetica Neue, Palatino, Courier, Times, Times NewRoman, Symbol and Zapf Dingbats?

And yes, they can and DO conflict. You may also have a problem with Suitcase (which I won’t use) conflicting with Apple’s Font Book.
B
Buko
Mar 6, 2004
It is so common that most seasoned users have come to expect it.

I must not be seasoned enough as a user I’ve been using photoshop since version 2.5.1 and have never seen any of these problems. So this leads me to believe that it has more to do with the way the Macs are set up.

You did not answer how you upgraded to 10.3??
B
Buko
Mar 6, 2004
James you also say that you only have system fonts. If you loaded on the Creative suite it adds abuch of opentype fonts that are definately conflicting with the .dfonts and this can make photoshop crash.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 6, 2004
Actually the conflicts are most likely to come between Type 1 PostScripts, .dfonts and TTs.

I prefer to replace all .dfonts with either OTFs or Type 1s of the same name.

And I "manage" all TTs with FAP (leaving most of them turned off except for the few that might be needed for web work such as Verdana and Arial).
JW
James_Wilsey
Mar 6, 2004
When you have one computer that happens to run well – that is nice for you.

I have well over a hundred including, file servers, mail servers, administration computers, video editing stations, audio recording studios, 3d modeling, Animation, render farms, motion graphics, backup systems, graphic RIPS, as well as a large print division using Photoshop, Illustaror, Quark, Indesign etc. We have computers running OSX.X, OS 9.X, Windows, and Linux. I was employed at Apple and used Photoshop betas before Adobe bought it from Knoll. I also produced platinum records using Mac SE’s with 2 floppy drives. I am no expert by any means, I’m just trying to convey that I’m not exactly a novice either.

If you live in the western world and go out in public or watch television, you will see images that we produce at least 10 times today. Our operation runs quite smoothly, thank you. In fact our tech trouble calls are so few, that our staff has many days go by where ther are no troublecalls whatsoever. I have merely been trying to point out that we recieve an inordinant amount of failures of Photoshop in OSX. We have routine problems happen occaisionally with PS in system 9, but they pale in comparison.

\I am very aware of font issues and problems and their remedies. That is one of the first things I check when someone has problems.

If you look deeper into the other threads in these forums, or others on the web- I am not the only one to have similar problems. If you read Adobes’ own troubleshooting page (8 pages printed, BTW) they have listed a large number of ‘fixes’ and workarounds listed for problems that they are aware of.

And Buko- I hope you mean 10.3.2. Yes we have upgraded. As an Apple developer we are Beta testing 10.3.3, which does show improvements.
GB
g_ballard
Mar 6, 2004
When you have one computer that happens to run well – that is nice for
you.

James, my point is, one stable machine answers the question: It works. At that point [I] start looking at what’s different about the bad boxes.

Our operation runs quite smoothly

My apology.
Somehow I got the impression that none of your Macs were stable and Photoshop, in particular, was unusable for you under System Ten.

It sounds like you are doing good and only need someone to fix the bugs. And that’s fair.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 6, 2004
James:

With all that wealth of experience and knowledge, you have problems (which you do not seem able to fix?!) while Photoshop CS runs flawlessly on Panther for us lesser beings.

Forgive us for having the temerity to try to help you.

[And, clean-up your FONTS.]
GB
g_ballard
Mar 6, 2004
Ann,

I am back on Seven/10.3.2.

I got some problems in Eight with Program Errors, but I have not spent much time tracking them down…since those problems, though, Adaptect has released new UL3D drivers, heck, maybe my RAID 0 will run now?
B
Buko
Mar 6, 2004
And Buko- I hope you mean 10.3.2. Yes we have upgraded.

yes thats what I mean, but you have not explained how you got to 10.3.2.

Did you update the old system?

did you Archive and install?

did you erase and install?
B
Buko
Mar 6, 2004
Granted I’m not running a G5 yet. and there seem tobe more reported crashes on G5s than G4s. thats why I’m waiting for the next generation of G5s to hit the market.

But then there is Ann who seems to be crusing along trouble free with a first gen G5. go figure.
JW
James_Wilsey
Mar 6, 2004
I don’t mean to sound ingrateful- I have learned some things, by posting in this forum especially. Believe me, I would be very happy to find that I was doing something wrong and could change it easily. That was the purpose of my posting here.

Again I know that crashes that seem similar can have different and often multiple causes…

With what I have learned from this forum will help me design a procedure including switching timezones, deleting adobefnt.lst files, deleting prefs and plists as well as the common OS maintainence tasks as reprairing permissions, PRAM, directories etc to help arrest problems as they crop up.

I will also restore our font library from the original files and try to maintain good type hygiene. I don’t care much for Suitcase, either, but as still haven’t found a better replacement. I wish adobe would develop ATM deluxe for osx- since they are a major type vendor- it would make sense….(one of these things is kinda like the other….). Fontbook is much worse (in the current version, for pro users.)

The other point I was (clumsily) trying to make about one computer came off wrong. I was just trying to point out that the number of problems you will face increases with the scale of your enterprise.

Driving one car to work ten miles a day will present you with less challenges than operating a fleet of cars running the 24 hour LeMans. Just because the one car works under one condition doesn’t mean the others should also fare so well.

Again thanks for the help-

JW
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 6, 2004
You might like to try FontAgent Pro.

I was a devoted user of ATM DLX, and was mortified when Adobe abandoned it, but FAP is a worthy successor. (Well, v.1.4 was/is — I have not yet upgraded to v.2 because they disabled features that I like in 1.4.)
JW
James_Wilsey
Mar 6, 2004
That would be a clean install of 10.3 on a freshly formatted disk followed by updates to 10.3.2.

GB having program errors on 8? Musy be your fault- Photoshop apparently has no bugs….(just kidding!!!).

G5’s seem pretty stable except for one case design flaw, which is fairly easily remedied. If you run two 250GB drives they will overheat and cause disk errors. Moving the heat sensor from the top of the case above the drive bay to the back of the plastic disk slot will force the fan to work more, cooling the drives and getting no more disk errors. I can provide a link later if you are interested….
GB
g_ballard
Mar 6, 2004
GB having program errors on 8? Must be your fault-

Yep, it only happens on my main box 🙂
Seven crunches the same file no problem…

I can provide a link later if you are interested

I am interested, please do.
JW
James_Wilsey
Mar 6, 2004
< http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G5/G5_drive_heat_tips.html#storyt op>

It has worked well for me. Also check out ThermographX utility- link on page above also….
B
Buko
Mar 6, 2004
I was thinking that people have problems because they just upgrade from the last system. This holds over some of the old code and will cause problems. but that does not seem to be the case with you. I agree with Ann, FAP is most ATMD like and is what I use also.

BTW I did purchase problem free version of the Creative Suite I think it was $50 extra. B)
JW
James_Wilsey
Mar 6, 2004
I found FontAgent to be a bit slow and cumbersome in it’s earlier releases- w/o much provision for diagnosing and fixing problems such as duplicate fonts (which was great in ATMD). That was an earlier version- I will check out the v 1.4 and the latest to see if it has improved….

Wouldn’t it be great if Photoshop could check for conflicts when it’s loading fonts and let you disable them from loading- instead of just crashing?

Does that deluxe problem free version of CS include a talent brush? I need one….
B
Buko
Mar 6, 2004
Does that deluxe problem free version of CS include a talent brush?

no that was another $50 and I just couldn’t justify that.
R
Ram
Mar 6, 2004
James,

… the 2GB lfile size limit is often a hinderance. Not a bug per se, but we were hoping that since CS came out and we have 64 bit G5’s with plenty of RAM, that might be addressed.

The 2GB file size limit has indeed been lifted in CS. You don’t have to worry about that any more.

There is of course a 2GB maximum amount of RAM any given application can use in any of the operating systems currently used, including OS X and Windows. That will not change until 64-bit operating systems are released.
AW
Anthony_Whetzel
Apr 10, 2004
I’ve been in Adobe CS crash hell ever since I installed it. Using a dual 1.25 GHz G4, 1.24MB RAM, Suitcase 11.0.2. Happened in 10.2.x as well as 10.3.x. Using 10.3.3 currently. Since I use all of the CS apps, I can’t tell which one is the culprit – they all Quit Unexpectedly equally often, and equally randomly. I suspect its font related, and have been digging through Suitcase forums and trying to find ways to tame my fonts. I must say that other apps quit fairly often too. Safari and IE seem to be very unstable. And about once a day I an entire system freeze – spinning beach ball of death or the dreaded Big Shut Down icon.
NC
Nina_Contini_Melis
Apr 10, 2004
hmmm. Well, I’m still using OSx 10.2.8 on my main Mac (G4 dual 1.25GHz/1024MbRAM) and since I turned off the APE Manager and Spell Catcher’ Interactive Module I haven’t had any further crashes in PS CS. Still not sure which is the culprit, but with both off, PS seems well behaved.
AW
Anthony_Whetzel
Apr 10, 2004
What is the APE Manager? How can I find that? Thanks.
NC
Nina_Contini_Melis
Apr 10, 2004
It is something installed with several Haxies and other apps take advantage of it. If it exists on your installation you will find it in the System Preferences.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Apr 11, 2004
Anthony.

Try this create a new account and give it administrative privileges. Then log out of your current account and log into that one. Then add no haxies or other applications
and no plugins to any of the applications. if you already have plugins in any of the CS applications remove them.

Then try working with the CS applications and only those and see if you have the same frequent crashes.

I think you have a corrupt User/Username/Library/Preferences directory.

APE is not the problem.
NC
Nina_Contini_Melis
Apr 11, 2004
I think you have a corrupt User/Username/Library/Preferences directory.
<<

How does one fix a corrupt Preference *directory*? You can toss corrupt pref files, but the directory? Sounds like something you’d want to rebuild with Disk Warrior, but that only works on volumes.
SG
Sylvain_Gingras
Apr 11, 2004
Here is the link to APE

<http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/ape>
R
Ram
Apr 11, 2004
How does one fix a corrupt Preference *directory*?

By doing what Wade suggests:

… create a new account and give it administrative privileges. Then log out of your current account and log into that one.

If that works, then you can take steps to make the new account your default one and trash the other one.
B
Buko
Apr 11, 2004
Be sure to move the contents of your user folder to the new user folder before deleting the old user.
NC
Nina_Contini_Melis
Apr 11, 2004
Right.

Hmm. That may be a (relatively) painless way of renewing the system. on the other hand

Be sure to move the contents of your user folder to the new user folder
before deleting the old user<<

needs to be done with care. No use going through all that trouble just to reinstall the possibly corrupted ~/Library/Preferences folder. Wonder if any others shouldn’t be taken across to the newly created admin user.

Not particularly looking forward to recreating new preferences for my myriad of applications, never mind looking up and re-entering all the serial numbers. Oh well.
B
Buko
Apr 11, 2004
Don’t copy prefs.

I was thinking more of the documents and pictures itunes that sort of thing.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Apr 11, 2004
Well you can continue to crash, sometimes things go wrong. But if you want to try it before deleting your old user account then you can after you determine that something in the current account is corrupt by the method I outlined, then simply drag the old preference folder to the desktop restart logging into that older user account and see if it was just the preference folder that will save you the re-entering of some of your serial numbers such as with Adobe applications.

However with "…my myriad of applications" is probably where the conflict lies, won’t you think?
B
Buko
Apr 11, 2004
actually its Quite easy to do an reinstall.

just do an archive and install. it will give you a new system keep all you network and app prefs with a band spanking new system.

I just did it worked like a charm.
NC
Nina_Contini_Melis
Apr 11, 2004
However with "…my myriad of applications" is probably where the conflict
lies, won’t you think? <<

Actually I don’t run them all at once, believe it or not (g) – or even many at a time. Several I use every day, most I use more rarely. But it is still rather a pain to re-enter all the serial numbers. Suppose some might not be stored in the user Pref folder, but suspect most are.

In any case it isn’t me that’s still having PS CS crashing problems. That disappeared after disabling both APE and Spell Catcher’s Interactive Module. I should turn one on at a time to see which was causing the glitch. Will post if I have definitive info on that.

I just thought it might be a good idea to refresh the system by the above-mentioned new user creation trick. Can’t hurt.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Apr 11, 2004
There is an update for Spell Catcher you might have missed!
NC
Nina_Contini_Melis
Apr 11, 2004
There is an update for Spell Catcher you might have missed! <<

Doubt it, though it’s possible. My version is 10.1, and it does seem to be that that messed up PS CS since APE is on, and doesn’t seem to be creating any problems.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Apr 11, 2004
There is a March 27 and a March 31 build available the March 27 build fixed a memory leak.
NC
Nina_Contini_Melis
Apr 11, 2004
There is a March 27 and a March 31 build available the March 27 build
fixed a memory leak.<<

Ok, thanks. I’ll go snare it. Was sick for several days and not doing the usual Versiontracker daily check.

But I doubt the problem with PS CS is the memory leak, though I’ll try applying the update and turning it back on.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Apr 12, 2004
There were other updates as well recently!
NC
Nina_Contini_Melis
Apr 12, 2004
Thanks, got the most recent from the Spell Catcher site, though they are all beta component bug fixes, not actual application version updates.

Haven’t tried turning the Interactive Spell Catcher module on again though.
SD
Stephanie_Dravk
Aug 16, 2004
I have a G4/1.25 GHz with 768 MB RAM that’s suffering multiple Photoshop CS crashes.

This is a brand new installation.
HD erased.
10.3.2 installed from DVD
Adobe CS installed straight from CDs.
All dubious fonts removed from Library and System/Library Only AppleLiGothic, AppleGothic, AquaKana (Bold and Regular), Geneva, Keyboard, LastResort, LucidaGrande, and Monaco remain.
Suitcase X1 upgraded is font utility but NO additional fonts are loaded when user is running Photoshop.
This is the cleanest install we could possibly get – all he’s doing is retouching photos and it’s crashing repeatedly. There are no old prefs to delete. Nothing old exists on this Mac, and yet it’s crashing.
GB
g_ballard
Aug 16, 2004
All dubious fonts removed from Library and System/Library Only AppleLiGothic,
AppleGothic, AquaKana (Bold and Regular), Geneva, Keyboard, LastResort, LucidaGrande, and Monaco remain.
Suitcase X1 upgraded is font utility but NO additional fonts are loaded when user is running Photoshop.

How did it run before you started hacking the fonts?
<http://www.gballard.net/macrant/fonts.html>

When trying to rule out hardware, Initializing, Start-From-Scratch tests are only as good a hack (or flaky font manager), or left-on flaky or 3rd party hardware…
<http://www.gballard.net/macrant/meltdown.html>
JW
James_Wilsey
Aug 17, 2004
Me again- Have had some success with PS installs by installing system from disks and then FIX PERMISSIONS UNTIL THEY COME UP CLEAN….run software updates and again, FIX PERMISSIONS UNTIL THEY COME UP CLEAN. Then install photoshop and again,FIX PERMISSIONS UNTIL THEY COME UP CLEAN. Seems to help….and is good pracice in general.

After you install OS X from CD’s you WILL have permission problems with OSX until you repair them- without fail. It’s bad practice to install software (or system updates) on top of bad permissions.

Also have had repeated problems on certain machines (often G4 dual mirrors) that seem to run everything else fine, but consistently have problems with photoshop, even after multiple clean reinstalls…

Photoshop is apparently very picky about any flaws in RAM or boards….I’ve got at least three out of a hundred or so that can’t run photoshop….
SD
Stephanie_Dravk
Aug 17, 2004
I think I’ve got one like your three, James. A G4 that just refuses to behave properly. It never performed like a champ under OS 9 and just running Photoshop is giving it grief.

g ballard, I have no frame of reference for how the Mac runs without altering the System/Library fonts. All of our Macs running OS X are set up with those fonts (Courier, Helvetica, Symbol and the foreign fonts removed).
GB
g_ballard
Aug 17, 2004
All of our Macs running OS X are set up with those fonts (Courier, Helvetica,
Symbol and the foreign fonts removed).

Okay, so you know those fonts and configuration work.

My point is, a troubleshooter only sees hacked and suspect fonts (and has to wonder what else has been dinked with)…

When troubleshooting takes me to the point of InitializeStartFromScratch, I am taking notes and testing thoroughly; and hacking fonts (or any System or application feature) is very last on my list of suspects to introduce.

My MELTDOWN link makes a very specific point:
Test on an OS-Suspect level (and pay attention).
Exactly at what point did the problem surface after you remove all suspect hardware, Initialized, Installed ONLY the OS, #1 Suspect, Updaters?

Sounds like you have bad hardware or bad install…I can’t tell from here what you have ruled out???
B
Buko
Aug 17, 2004
10.3.5 update has been released I recomend installing this.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 17, 2004
<< All of our Macs running OS X are set up with those fonts (Courier, Helvetica, Symbol and the foreign fonts removed). >>

I wouldn’t just "remove" Courier, Helvetica, Symbol.

I just Courier, Helvetica, Symbol replaced them with either Type 1s or OTFs of the same name. You won’t be able to run certain programs, including Distiller, unless they can find Helvetica.
SD
Stephanie_Dravk
Aug 17, 2004
The fonts were removed from the System/Library but Suitcase has access to Type 1 repacements when needed.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 17, 2004
As long as it works for you…
(I just don’t, and wouldn’t, do it that way!)

:~)
SD
Stephanie_Dravk
Aug 19, 2004
I’m trying to narrow down the hardware/RAM aspect. How do you set the Apple Hardware Test to loop?
R
Ram
Aug 19, 2004
Stephanie,

I don’t have the test application open right now; if I remember, it has time or testing cycles settings that are pretty intuitive. However, be aware that the Apple Hardware Test can and does miss RAM problems that Photoshop brings to the surface.
D
DYP
Aug 21, 2004
Stephanie,

Have you tried different video resolution to eliminate to possibility that it might be video card or driver related.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections