Can I scale a rectangular selection marquee?

JB
Posted By
John_Blasquez
Mar 4, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
After setting the marquee to a 2:3 aspect (like 4 x 6 inches) I want the option of proportionally scaling the marquee. Is there a way to do so in Photoshop? This would help tremendously when cropping to a known aspect ratio.

Is it possible to scale any selection?

Thanks, John

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MM
Mark McIntyre
Mar 4, 2004
Yes, In CS, just choose….Select-> Transform Selection.

In earlier versions of PS, after you have made your selection, switch to Quick Mask Mode, then chose Edit->Transform-> Scale. After you have scaled the mask, switch back to Standard Mode.

In both instances, hold down the shift key to scale proportionally.

Hope that helps.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Mar 4, 2004
Select>Transform Selection has been around since at least 5.5 and perhaps earlier.

A quick way is to Control-click inside the marquee and select Transform Selection from the context menu. You can also make an action tnat assigns it to an F key.
DK
Doug_Katz
Mar 4, 2004
Actually, I kinda like Mark’s idea of doing a regular transform in Q-mode. Clever.
JB
John_Blasquez
Mar 4, 2004
Thanks all! That helps a lot.

I’m about ready to switch from 5.5 to CS … finally jumping into Photoshop after getting a Canon Digital Rebel. Just getting my sea legs with Photoshop. Remarkable results thus far!

Is there a dialog where I can initially set the marquee to a 4 x 6 rectangle? If not, I’ll continue dragging it out relative to the ruler.

Thanks again,

John
150mph
Mar 4, 2004
Use "Style" drop down menu on top menu bar to set exact dimensions. With rectangular marquee tool selected, change from "normal" to "fixed size" and type in your dimensions in the two fields on the right.
JS
John_Slate
Mar 4, 2004
Is there a dialog where I can initially set the marquee to a 4 x 6 rectangle? If not, I’ll continue dragging it out relative to the ruler.

In the marquis tool options, scroll "Style" to fixed size, and enter the width and height in pixels, so you have to figure the number of pixels in 4 x 6 from your resolution.

[Edit: 150mph is faster than me]
R
Ram
Mar 4, 2004
Is there a dialog where I can initially set the marquee to a 4 x 6 rectangle? If not, I’ll continue dragging it out relative to the ruler

On the Options Bar, you can set the marquee from Normal to Fixed Ratio or to Fixed Size.
JS
John_Slate
Mar 4, 2004
I personally always liked fixed ratio so you are not restricted to an exact size when choosing an area to crop.

Of course after cropping you need to resize to the exact size you want, with resampling off.
R
Ram
Mar 4, 2004
I personally always liked fixed ratio

Same here.
MM
Mark McIntyre
Mar 5, 2004
"Select>Transform Selection has been around since at least 5.5 and perhaps earlier. "

Thanks for correcting me on that. Guess I was so used to the QM method that i never noticed the Transform Selection till CS. LOL.
JB
John_Blasquez
Mar 5, 2004
Select>Transform Selection works great for my purposes.

Don’t know how I overlooked that.

Thanks, John

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections