Save as transparency option unavailable when saving tiffs.

CB
Posted By
Chandra_Bulmer
Mar 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have Photoshop 6.0.1 for Mac. I am trying to save an image of a bottle with clipping path applied for importation into PowerPoint 2001. I have the image of the bottle in Layer 1 with transparent background. I also have a clipping path applied with flatness at blank device pixels. When I go to Save As, I choose save as a copy, format tiff, save, then the tiff options box comes up, I choose IBM PC, click ok, and the image is saved. I never get the option to save transparency. Can someone help me understand why this is happening?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

J
JasonSmith
Mar 2, 2004
Check your preferences – there is an option to enable ‘advanced tiff options’.
SF
Scott_Falkner
Mar 2, 2004
A few things here.

1. The transparency in the TIFF file is only available it there is transparancy in the image. This has nothing to do with clipping paths.

2. The clipping path is saved with the file automatically, so long as a clipping path is selected in the Paths palette’s menu.

3. Finally, PowerPoint, being a MS product, is not a very good graphics program, and does not support transparency or clipping paths in TIFF files.

Use your clipping path as a mask for the image, then use Save for Web to save a PNG with transparency.
CB
Chandra_Bulmer
Mar 2, 2004
Thanks to both Jason and Scott. I tried both of your suggestions and they both worked (in different ways).

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections