TC
Posted By
Tom_Charvat
Feb 29, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve just Upgraded from Photoshop 7 the newest version of Photoshop CS on my Mac OSX system. Can I "TRASH" Photoshop 7? or are there components that are needed to run CS? If so, how do I do this properly, in order to clean it out completely?

Thanks

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 29, 2004
Tom,

If you did a complete installation of PS CS, you can uninstall PS 7 and its preferences. Be sure that if you have any third-party plug-ins in your PS 7 that you make sure they are compatible with CS before installing them there.

Neil
TC
Tom_Charvat
Feb 29, 2004
Thanks, Should I just do a Photoshop 7.0 Search in the finder and TRASH everthing that shows up on the list?
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 29, 2004
Tom,

I suspect that all you will find will be the Adobe Photoshop 7 folder (and its contents) and its preference file. Not too big a sweep-up job.

Neil
B
Buko
Feb 29, 2004
You might want to keep PS 7 around if you work with images of Money in your artwork or as a designer. newer computers have lots of disk space. I have photoshop 4 through 8 on my machine just for refence. that takes up just over 700MB.
B
Buko
Feb 29, 2004
also some are having frustration at not getting PSCS to work as speedily as 7 and feel a need to use PS7 for some operations.
NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 1, 2004
The original question was, "…are there components that are needed to run CS?". Other considerations (such as Buko’s) aside, no, you don’t need any components from the old Photoshop to run the new.

Neil
AW
Allen_Wicks
Mar 1, 2004
The fact that Adobe saw fit to include UNDOCUMENTED workflow stoppers in CS suggests that we should all keep our copies of PS 7 and other pre-CS Adobe apps. We have discovered and discussed the secret CS "feature" that prohibits [fully legal] manipulation of some money imagery, and that alone is enough reason to save PS7 forever.

Adobe has very clearly shown us how it will secretly use CS code to oversee and modify our individual workflows – without benefit of law or any other publicly scrutinized rule or regulation. And long after being caught out, Adobe has neither made apologies nor indicated any intention not to further extend secret review of individual workflows. What we don’t know is WHAT ELSE may be in hidden in CS software now, or perhaps in future patches.

Keep version 7.
PF
Peter_Figen
Mar 1, 2004
I always keep older versions alive and well. For some inexpicable reason, there are some fonts that will only rasterize in v.6 and not 7 even while on the same machine. Go figure. I’m one of those Boku refers to who have found CS to intolerably slow and unresponsive. I use v7 unless I need one of the few features exlusive to CS. So far it’s pretty much been limited to images with 40-50,000 pixels, which themselves are impossibly slow to work with. There doesn’t seem to be much point in going back before v6 except for nostalgic purposes.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections