SG
Posted By
Scottie_G.
Feb 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can you use CS with OS 9? I booted into 9.2.2 and opened a psd file and got sign "could not find Photoshop CS" (it’s the OS10App folder… I though it would work in 9)

I then copied CS and put a copy in the OS9 Apps folder, but did not work.

I then tried to install CS while in OS9 and got message, "could not be opened becasue caron lib could not be found."

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 26, 2004
CS works ONLY in OSX. Photoshop 7 works in both MacOS 9 and MacOS 10.
SG
Scottie_G.
Feb 26, 2004
thanks Ann:
that’s the kind of direct answer I like. Annoying to hear though. I’m thinking of using OS9 mainly for printing. Just called Epson tech and they even recommended it. The problems with Epson and OS10 will probably never get fixed, even they admit that.
J
JasonSmith
Feb 26, 2004
"The problems with Epson and OS10 will probably never get fixed, even they admit that."

That’s not good for Epson.
B
Buko
Feb 26, 2004
The problems with Epson and OS10 will probably never get fixed, even they admit that.

I find that hard to Believe.
G
graffiti
Feb 26, 2004
The problems with Epson and OS10 will probably never get fixed

Did I miss something? What’s wrong with Epson and OS X? Someone must have forgot to tell either of my Epson printers about it.
PH
Paul_Hokanson
Feb 26, 2004
Scottie,

Certain older Epson printer drivers have issues (mainly limitations in printing features), but newer printers (released since OS 10.2) should work pretty smoothly with OSX.

Sometimes problems are not only the fault of the printer and its software. OSX continues to improve its printer support and any issues that may exist today, may not exist in the future.

Its in Epson’s best interest to continue to support the new Mac OS, as it changes and matures, and I believe they’ll contune to do so.

(… and no, I do not work for Epson…) 🙂
SG
Scottie_G.
Feb 26, 2004
Myself, and many other Epson users I know have had nothing but headaches with Epson printers and OS10 — mostly stopped print job and problems with centering. I’ve talked with many many senior level tech at Epson and they hear these problems all time from Mac OS10 users. If you don’t have these problems you are very very lucky.

I could use some help for printing in OS9 on an Epson printer, I’ve posted in another thread with no reply yet, please:

When printing on 8×10 sheet paper , the printer wont let me make the height greater than7.5"

Message comes up says:"number between 1.000 and 7.500 is required"

I have printed many times at heights of 8.5 and 9" on 8×10 paper, in past in OS 9, guess can’t remember what I did right.

In page set up, I selected 8×10, and auto sheet feeder. I also chose centered and maximum area.

Another odd thing, maybe don’t remember it from being on OS 10 so long, is it takes long time for image to open — like 25-30 seconds — while "reads photoshop format" normal?
B
Buko
Feb 26, 2004
I always use InDesign to print my photoshop files.
R
Ram
Feb 26, 2004
If you have an Epson 2200 you can’t just swap the black ink cartridges in OS X like you do in Mac OS 9.2.2. You need to delete the whole printer list and reinstall the Epson driver every time you go from matte to photo black or back.

That sounds like an OS issue to me.
PH
Paul_Hokanson
Feb 26, 2004
In page set up, I selected 8×10, and auto sheet feeder. I also chose centered and maximum area.

Scottie,
That might limit the maximum print area, forcing the print dialog to return the "number between 1.000 and 7.500 is required" message you’re getting. What happens if you uncheck "centered?"

What Epson printer are you using?
SG
Scottie_G.
Feb 27, 2004
Paul, 1280

I’ve tried all combinations of standard, centered, maximum, checked and unchecked, but when I put 8" in box, and then check the scale to fit media box, the height goes to 7.5, don’t seem to have this dilemma in OS10
PH
Paul_Hokanson
Feb 27, 2004
don’t seem to have this dilemma in OS10

Scottie,

I assume you meant OS9?

I don’t have the 1280… perhaps someone else here can chime in with some personal experience to help you.

Just to cover all variables possible… what version of OSX are you running?
SG
Scottie_G.
Feb 27, 2004
Paul:
I figured it out from another thread, I was forgetting to reduce the resolution from 4000 (from the scanner), to 300 to print. and then resize the print from image size window. It’s weird, I’ve been printing for couple years, but it you stop for even a couple of months, you get rusty.
BB
Brian_Battles
Feb 29, 2004
I had to buy a new printer because Epson did not create a driver for OS X for it. It was the original Epson Photo printer. Also, at the time, the drivers they made for the existing printers when OS X came out had limitations for some of the printing functions. So, I opted for a Canon instead. Although the photos are great I don’t think the text prints as clear on the Canon. Then, I may still have things to learn about using it to get what I want.
P
PShock
Feb 29, 2004
I had to buy a new printer because Epson did not create a driver for OS X for it. It was the original Epson Photo printer.

Well, there’s another reason to upgrade from the original Epson. Namely, photo quality has improved about, oh …. 2000%! The original Epson Photo printer was amazing —- in 1996!

I’ve learned to NEVER call Epson for information. If it ain’t on their sheet, they don’t know about it. I was told by an Epson tech that printing from the rear feed on my 2200 was not possible in OSX. Guess they forgot to tell the printers about it. Although it’s not obvious how to go about it, rear feed printing does indeed work fine in OSX. Load the paper in the rear feed and the printer is smart enough to print from it. (credit for this info goes to a forum member whose name I’ve forgotten — thanks again, whoever you are.)

Everything that’s possible in OS9, I can do in OSX with my 2200 (and SP750). It’s just a bit more work (and annoying), for some things.

-phil
SG
Scottie_G.
Feb 29, 2004
Phil, you don’t ever have stopped jobs, uneven white borders with 2200 using OSX? If not your very lucky. I’ve started printing is OS9, and that’s the solution for me–even Epson agrees with that idea. Now I just tried also in classic, but got message saying commication error with printer, so I’m wondering if printing in classic is more problematic or not even possible as opposed to printing directly in Os9.
P
PShock
Feb 29, 2004
Phil, you don’t ever have stopped jobs, uneven white borders with 2200 using OSX? If not your very lucky.

Nope, I’ve never had the printer-stopped problem and the non-centering issue (which was a PITA), was cleared up with the latest 2200 driver. (I don’t use the "centered 2200" though – I just use the standard printer and create my own borders via custom size) Of course Epson wants to blame OSX – "use OS9" gets you off their back. I do realize my good fortune may be due to luck but I like to think it’s because I maintain my system. I also never use the "Upgrade" or "Archive and Install" methods when installing a new OS – everything is reinstalled from scratch. More work for sure, but I don’t experience 95% of the problems I see in web forums.

FWIW – my 2200 is connected directly to my machine’s Firewire port.

-phil
SG
Scottie_G.
Feb 29, 2004
Yes I did archive and install and do all maintenance crap every month. You’ve been lucky, but trust me : many many have Epson OSX headaches. Epson blames OSX, but someone I know who advises Epson says it’s Epson’s fault — and that no other printer manufacturer has all these OSX problems. Even the epson techs are exasperated,but have their hands are tied behind their back — as the engineers are all in Japan. what is"pita"
B
Buko
Mar 1, 2004
From what I’ve read HP has had much more trouble with OSX than Epson.

Personally I’ve not had any problems.
R
Ram
Mar 1, 2004
HP’s Mac software has problems with OS X, Mac OS 9, and practically every other release I can remember.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Mar 1, 2004
Scottie-

You describe folks with OS X and Epson 2200 and PS 7 working correctly "lucky," as if the anomalous condition was a working setup. Not true. Folks having trouble are the anomalies, and such folks need to find out what is wrong in their setups/installs, not describe those who have it right as "lucky."

I run 4 different Epson printers including an SP2200 and an SP1280 using five different Macs, 4 with OS 10.2.8 and one with OS9.2.1. All work properly (except that the 1280 clogs frequently in my dry high altitude environment). If you are having problems I suggest that you start by carefully describing all aspects of your hardware/software as well as the exact problem.

Also, there has been quite a bit of commentary on the SP2000 as folks got the drivers dialed in (which they are now). You may want to search the Forum for "2200" to review some of the fixes, like how to properly center images for instance. Getting useful answers from Epson’s tech support is fairly unlikely.
SG
Scottie_G.
Mar 1, 2004
thanks Allen:
I go on that forum 2200, great forum. I’ve met other Mac users on that forum. Front line Epson techs are lame, but senior level ones are pretty good. They tell me otherwise, that they hear from lots of OSX users on a daily basis with similar problems. ( I ask them, am I the only one? they say, no, the complaints are numerious) I’ve seen many Mac users come on the 2200 forum as well, but after ahile there is no point anymore. Anyway, OS9 seems to be the salvation for this particular problem for now.

I’m now trying to print with Classic, but get a message that says "printer connection error" which I don’t get when booted directly to 9.2.2 anyone have any ideas on that?

In short, seems a large group of Epson OSX users are having no problems like you, and another large chunk that are. I’ll try the next driver maybe — if there is one, but I’m ok with OS9, now just trying figure out classic problem just mentioned.
B
Buko
Mar 1, 2004
Since PSCS will not work in Classic why bother printing from Classic??
P
PShock
Mar 1, 2004
Scottie –

Just like in "real" OS9, you can completely control what Classic loads at startup via the Extension Manager. There’s probably an Extension or Control Panel that’s turned off in Classic compared to OS9. System Pref->Classic->Advanced

PITA = pain in the a$$ (i.e., trying to use Classic) 😉

-phil
SG
Scottie_G.
Mar 1, 2004
Buko:
I’m using PS7 for OS9 printing.

Phil:
Anyway to narrow down why I can’t print in classic at all but printing ok in OS9? Are they not using the same OS installed on the computer?

If not, anyway to narrow down that extension control panel problem, otherwise, I’m looking for a needle in a haystack no?

Why is classic more pita than booting into OS9 direct?
R
Ram
Mar 1, 2004
Even though it uses a lot of the components of your Mac OS 9.x installation, when Classic runs under OS X, OS X maintains control of some of the basic functions of your machine. That’s why there are quite a few applications (not available in an OS X version) that run fine when you boot straight into 9.2.2 but refuse to work in Classic under OS X.
SG
Scottie_G.
Mar 2, 2004
Any obvious ideas why get "printer not connecting" while in classic, but not in OS9, is this a common problem others have experienced?
B
Buko
Mar 2, 2004
Well I don’t have a problem using my Epson in Classic I just don’t have a need to. have you checked that all your extensions are loaded??
SG
Scottie_G.
Mar 2, 2004
NO, Buko, what should I check specifically, and what is the procedure. (can’t remember to much OS9 stuff)
AW
Allen_Wicks
Mar 3, 2004
My SP 2200 works fine from 10.2.8 or from Classic or from OS9.
SG
Scottie_G.
Mar 3, 2004
Thanks Allen, good know everything works great for you.
R
Ram
Mar 3, 2004
Allen,

Have you been able to swap the black ink cartridges on the 2200 in OS X without deleting all your printers?
B
Buko
Mar 3, 2004
NO, Buko, what should I check specifically,

You know for somebody who thinks OS9 is so wonderful you certainly don’t know much about it. Have you checked to make sure that your OS9 Epson printer extensions are loaded so the printer can work?? Do you know which ones they are?? Its seems that someone so enamored with OS9 would know these things and apply them to Classic.
P
PShock
Mar 3, 2004
Scottie –

Classic (thru OSX) isn’t the same as true OS9. Think of it as a separate install with it’s own set of parameters.

As I said earlier, set up which extensions you want loaded through Classic’s System Prefs under Advanced. There, you can choose to bring up the Extension Manager during Classic’s launch in order to turn extensions on or off. You either don’t have an extension loaded, have an extension conflict OR there’s a problem in the wired connection. USB or FireWire? If USB – direct to machine or through a hub? Hubs can be problematic – try a direct connection. If FW, direct to machine or daisy-chained? Some FW devices won’t support daisy-chaining if turned off – try a direct connection.

Personally, I think you’re wasting your time. If you’re going to work this hard at getting your "solution" to work, why not just solve the problem in OSX?

-phil
AW
Allen_Wicks
Mar 4, 2004
Ramon-

I have not tried cartridge swapping.
SG
Scottie_G.
Mar 4, 2004
I have been told, and is my experience, that cartridge swapping requires deleting and then re-adding the print driver for the 2200 — but that is a good question for Allen as he has no Epson problems like myself.

I have no interest is OS9, except that when I boot into it, I have no problems with 1280 or 2200, while printing from OS X, I have massive problems.

I called Epson today, I got a bad, and then a really good tech rep on phone. He said, don’t bother with classic — this problems I’m having in classic (no printer connection) are typical and that 75% chance you cannot print from classic. Which is bad news if you decide to get a G5 since you cannot boot directly into OS9.

He also said the printing problems with OS10 — which he admitted — as all Epson tech do, to their credit, is becasue (this is his view) is becasue OSX is a work in progress. I said, well was not OS9 a work in progress? Are not all operating systems a work in progress? He said no, OS9 was a finished OS, but OS 10 is still ongoing. He did seem to think in 6 months to a year they will have it ironed out. He did say, of course, many people don’t have problems.
R
Ram
Mar 4, 2004
I have been told, and is my experience, that cartridge swapping requires deleting and then re-adding the print driver for the 2200

That appears to be the case in OS X, but it is certainly not in 9.x.

… is bad news if you decide to get a G5 since you cannot boot directly into OS9

That’s why I’ve just bought a new G4 rather than a G5, even though the discount on the G5 represented more money in terms of dollars.

Are not all operating systems a work in progress? He said no, OS9 was a finished OS, but OS 10 is still ongoing.

What I have heard and read in this regard is that Apple is still undecided as to which way (UNIX-wise) to go for printing. I don’t pretend to know, it’s only hearsay.
B
Buko
Mar 4, 2004
OS9 is dead. the best that can be said about OS9 is that it is Zombieware.

Its dead but still keeps hanging around.

Apple does not support OS9, nobody is developing new software for it. Its Zombieware because people are reluctant to move into the 21st century.

Ramón this was not pointed at you. Just everyone else.
R
Ram
Mar 4, 2004
Buko,

the best that can be said about OS9 is that it is Zombieware.

Evidently, a lot can be accomplished by Zombies.

😀
B
Buko
Mar 4, 2004
Voo Doo is a wonderful thing.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Mar 4, 2004
Set up an old Mac as a print server with the Epson hooked up to it running OS 9.

Print from any OSX box using an Ethernet connection.

SWEET!

btw. off loads active printing to the OS 9 box.
P
PShock
Mar 4, 2004
As the saying goes … ignorance is bliss. Since I refuse to benefit from the ahem, "wisdom" of Epson tech support, I’ll continue to print without problems in OSX. Perhaps if Epson tech actually used a Mac once in while instead of regurgitating the text in front of them …

Ramón –
I’ve done the add/delete/restart dance when changing carts. It’s a bit of a pain to be sure, but the entire process takes less than two minutes. Really not that big of a deal. It’s no excuse for mickey mouse drivers tho – as printer driver authors, Epson makes great printers.

Apple does not support OS9 …

It’s funny, I’m beginning to not "support" it either. As the designated Mac tech support for many friends, I’m beginning to have a hard time helping those with OS9 troubles because remembering that far back is becoming more difficult. Ramón, care to give your number? 😉

-phil
SG
Scottie_G.
Mar 4, 2004
Yes, of course, the deleting driver/ adding it back is only needed for OSX. I was not clear, sorry.

I tell you Buko, I’m a big big OSX fan, and if it were not for the whole Epson printer thing, I would be done with OS9 (nothing against OS9).
P
PShock
Mar 4, 2004
Yes, of course, the deleting driver/ adding it back is only needed for OSX. I was not clear, sorry.

You’re still not clear. It’s not necessary to delete the "driver" – only the "printer" in OSX’s Printer list. (A step which takes all of 10 seconds.)

I have to wonder — do you work as Epson tech support? 😉

-phil
R
Ram
Mar 4, 2004
Ouch!
SG
Scottie_G.
Mar 4, 2004
Phil:
Yes your right, it’s the printer from printer list. I keep thinking that as the driver for some reason. You are right it’s very quick to do.

But then usually for me ( not you of course), then need to repair permissions, and reboot to get good prints in OSX. It’s a big nusiance, I’m happy not to do anymore — at least as I have OS9 to boot into.

Yes, I work front line Epson support. They say I’ll be promoted in 10 years.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections