G
Posted By
Grinder
Aug 26, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m a very peripheral Photoshop user, so please, be kind.

I have a small grayscale image that I would like to define its transparent regions. Using RGB mode, I’ve created an additional "Alpha1" channel, into which I’ve pasted a bitmap that represents my opaque (white) and transparent (black) areas, and all of the semi-transparent (grey) areas in between.

How do I translate that Alpha channel data into transparent areas in a my (only) layer?

Some rationalization for why I’m doing this: I would like to create a template document of sorts that I can paste a second layer into to be overlaid by this partially transparent layer. At which point, I’ll flatten the image and output a JPEG, leaving the original document intact for the next round.

Thanks for your insights.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

MR
Mike Russell
Aug 26, 2007
"Grinder" wrote in message
I have a small grayscale image that I would like to define its transparent regions. Using RGB mode, I’ve created an additional "Alpha1" channel, into which I’ve pasted a bitmap that represents my opaque (white) and transparent (black) areas, and all of the semi-transparent (grey) areas in between.

How do I translate that Alpha channel data into transparent areas in a my (only) layer?

Some rationalization for why I’m doing this: I would like to create a template document of sorts that I can paste a second layer into to be overlaid by this partially transparent layer. At which point, I’ll flatten the image and output a JPEG, leaving the original document intact for the next round.

You’re very close. One way to get what you want is:

1) open the layers palette, and alt-double click your image. This will make it into an ordinary layer, instead of a background layer.
2) Create a layer mask, click on it in the layers palette, and paste your
alpha channel into it.
3) Save this as a psd or tiff file as your semi-transparent template
4) drag this image from the layers palette onto the image which you want be
overlaid by the template.

Mike Russell – www.curvemeister.com
G
Grinder
Aug 26, 2007
Mike Russell wrote:
"Grinder" wrote in message

You’re very close. One way to get what you want is:

1) open the layers palette, and alt-double click your image. This will make it into an ordinary layer, instead of a background layer.
2) Create a layer mask, click on it in the layers palette, and paste your
alpha channel into it.
3) Save this as a psd or tiff file as your semi-transparent template
4) drag this image from the layers palette onto the image which you want be
overlaid by the template.

Thank you very much — that was the lift I needed.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections