Photoshop keeps rotating vertical images by itself!?!

KL
Posted By
Ken_Loh
Feb 22, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
For some reason, everytime I open a photo that is vertical in nature, Photoshop CS automatically rotates it 90° counter clockwise. It’s driving me crazy. I can open the photo in any other application (even older versions of photoshop) and they are fine, but when I open them in CS, they get rotated. It only happens with images that are shot vertical from my Canon digital camera, and oddly enough, it only happens when the images are in a particular folder — the one I use to download all my images from my digital camera. When I move the image to a different folder and open it from there, they don’t auto-rotate. I thought it might have something to do with a folder action, but I don’t have any activated. This is the strangest thing I’ve seen in a while.

Would love to know if anyone else has experienced this problem and if they have a workaround.

-Ken

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JS
John_Slate
Feb 22, 2004
Just out of curiousity, just how could any software tell if the picture is vertical format?

Does your camera have a sensor that responds to how you turn the camera and writes something into the Metadata file to indicate which side is up?

All shots off of my Canon camera come in landscape, and anything that was shot vertical needs to be rotated.
KL
Ken_Loh
Feb 22, 2004
There is an auto-rotate feature on my camera that is turned on. So all shots that are vertical (I’m not sure how it knows) appear in the correct orientation during the camera’s slide show. I can only assume that this is somehow stored in the exif data and Panther and/or Photoshop CS is somehow detecting it.

Panther is also apparently using it, because vertical photos show up rotated in the finder when it’s first uploaded. Jaguar didn’t do this.

Didn’t have this problem before I upgraded to Photoshop CS, and after upgrading, I still don’t have the problem with Photoshop 7, so perhaps it’s a combo Panther/Photoshop CS thing. But the wierdest thing is that it only does it when the file is in the original download folder.

By the way, my camera is the Canon PowerShot S400.
AA
Anthony_Ahearn
Apr 28, 2004
I have an Canon S50 that also does this (presumably there is a mercury switch inside the camera that tells orientation). It doesn’t really bother me that CS is auto rotating. What does bother me is that it appears to be dropping the information from the EXIF data (which apparently is where this information is set). This means that when I go back to Adobe Photo Album after editing my picture the thumbnail is all screwed up (rotated). I have to fix the problem in a different application like Photo Elements (which apparently doesn’t understand and ignores the EXIF data). Does anyone know how to either disable the auto rotate or is there a fix to either CS or Photo Album for this problem? Thanks.
JM
Jess_Mortensen
Apr 28, 2004
I use the Canon PowerShot S400 as well… and I’m experiencing this problem with PS CS rotating picture on its own. I’ve gone and rotated the pictures back, and saved it, and when I open the file again, PS rotates it back to the way it was in the first place. The only solution I’ve found is to save the image with another file name. I then tried changing the file name back to the original name, lo and behold, PS rotated the image. So the only way I’ve found to get around it (with out putting the image in another folder) is to change the file name.
I’d also like to know if there’s a fix for this. I don’t like having to rotate my image every time i want to work on it or anything. And it makes it really frustrating if you want to automate a webpage because those images are automatically roated by PS.
MF
Marcia_Frazier
Jul 15, 2004
Has anyone found a reason or solution? I have same problem with images from Canon Rebel. Photoshop CS does an auto rotate on vertical images. Photoshop 7 is okay.
JM
Jess_Mortensen
Jul 15, 2004
I’ve found a reason for this happening, but no fix.
I don’t remember where I heard it from but here goes…
When you take a vertical shot on your camera, it stores that information in the picture file (saying that it was rotated when you took it and to display it rotated on the computer). Well I guess that photoshop has something in it that reads that part of the picture file and then rotates it *again*.
That’s the only reasoning that I’ve found anywhere for this problem. I don’t know why photoshop tries to rotate it again… but it’s very frustrating. I’ve resorted to just putting a letter at the end of the file name for vertical pictures to avoid the problem.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jul 15, 2004
EXIF meta tag or XMP data is telling Photoshop to rotate the file.

take the plug-in out.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections