JK
Posted By
justin kaminski
Jul 27, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
It’s a REALLY weird problem, well.. out of 3 years of using ps this never happened before, I assumed it was photoshop that did this because it stopped working while I was messing around.. Anyway I plugged in another keyboard and restarted and the control key worked until I ran photoshop again, and then stopped. I plugged in my original keyboard while I was in photoshop and the control key worked once then stopped. Well, not it doesn’t work at all even in windows and other programs, what am I going to do?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
Ray
Jul 27, 2003
Justin,

If I understand you correctly, once you launch Photoshop, the control keys becomes unusable and remains this way untill you reboot? If you, try these two things:

– Reset your prefereces for Photoshop (press and hold CTRL-ALT-SHIFT immediately after launching Photoshop)

Then, if this doesn’t solve your problem, reinstall Photoshop.

Ray
NS
Nancy S
Jul 27, 2003
Justin,

Perhaps another program has hijacked your control key, seriously.

Nancy
JK
justin kaminski
Jul 28, 2003
Ray – To clear things up, basically what happened is.. my control key does not work anymore after it stopped working while I was in Photoshop, dispite all of my tests and restarts it remains not working.

Beth – I can’t seem to translate the term "Keyboard Preferences" into win-talk =)

Nancy – I thought of this, and I really can’t think of anyway to prove that any other program is.. see, I can’t cntrl-alt-delete to close all of my apps, so I had to comb the windows/system32 until i found the cntrl-alt-delete program and then I closed all the programs I could, still.. no functioning control key, I ran ad-aware and used the symantec online virus scanner and nothing turned up. I am getting weird spyware dialogs that aren’t getting picked up by ad-aware.. I suspect that.. but they never occured when the control key stopped working.

It seems I’m experiencing even more problems than I thought, today the computer that my control key doesn’t work on now seemed to stop connecting to the internet even tho I see packets sending/recieveing and I can connect to the router.. I don’t know what I’m going to do now, and I have so many clients on my back.
R
Ray
Jul 28, 2003
Justin,

From my point of view, you might have a virus or something. You have not specified what OS version you’re running. So, let’s assume Windows Me or 98. Try to boot from a diskette (the one Windows had you prepared while you installed it), then run Edit from the boot diskette. It’s a text editor, but my goal is to test wheter or not the control key still works. If I remember correctly, using Control-O, you can open a file withing Edit. So run it and see if the Control key still works.

Second thing, you mentionned Photoshop. What version are you using?

Ray

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections