JS
Posted By
Jodi_Sandoval
Aug 31, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Helllo! I need to know where to go in photoshop to find out the dpi of the image I am working on…any help is appreciated!

Jodi

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

RK
Rob_Keijzer
Aug 31, 2004
In the browser’s metadata, and in File > File Info.

BTW, unless you’re printing it’s Pixels per inch, not Dots per Inch.

Rob
JS
Jodi_Sandoval
Aug 31, 2004
I am working on an ad for a magazine and they need it to be 300 dpi…how do I do this if its PPI??
JS
Jodi_Sandoval
Aug 31, 2004
I figured it out! Thanks for your help!!
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 31, 2004
Jodi,

They really mean ppi. For years the two have been used interchangeably, but DPI is the incorrect way to speak about an image resolution. DPI is a parameter for printers to measure print quality, as in the number of dots that it can lay in one inch. It is NOT an image measurement.

So when folks say "I want a 300 DPI image", they really mean 300 ppi.

Also, a little known trick. In the lower left hand corner of photoshop, in the status bar, you can display things like image size, color space, etc. If you hold down the Alt key and click that little box, it tells you the image dimensions without having to use anything from the menu.

Peace,
Tony
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Aug 31, 2004
in the status bar

Darn! I knew I forgot something! Thanks Tony.

Rob
JJ
John Joslin
Aug 31, 2004
Or right click the title bar of the image.

I do it all the time :).
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 31, 2004
Or right click the title bar of the image

Yeah, but then you have a dialog that you have to close. I REALLY like the Alt status bar pop up. If your image is in inches, it displays units in inches, if in pixels, it does pixels. Pretty nifty and quick. <shrug>
JJ
John Joslin
Aug 31, 2004
Tony

Yes, "Alt / Status bar" for a quick check; Title bar if you want to change anything.

I normally do ;> .
JD
Jeremy Drake
Sep 1, 2004
It’s actually the same thing between dpi and ppi

wrote in message
I am working on an ad for a magazine and they need it to be 300 dpi…how do I do this if its PPI??
HP
Helen_Polson
Sep 1, 2004
Or right click the title bar of the image.

I never knew that you could do that! Great tip 🙂
G
Gener
Sep 1, 2004
🙂 Very nice tip…My motto should be RTF: Read the forums 🙂

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections