MN
Posted By
Mike_Nittinger
Feb 16, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Could someone point me to where in the manuals (if it’s in there…if not, just tell me) it describes the functions of the various file format switches? I know what most of them do, but I’m not sure about a few of them and I’ve had a hard time finding any discussion on them.

I work in a service bureau and find that often people will just turn on anything they see a button for thinking it can’t hurt, when it can often screw the pooch (Transfer Function, anyone?). The two I’m currently befuddled by are ‘Image Interpolation’ in the EPS dialog and ‘Save Image Pyramid’ in the TIF dialog.

Ideally a quick reference for all file format switches would be great in terms of sharing the information with coworkers and some ..ahem.. problem clients, but at this point I’ll take what I can get.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

RW
Rene_Walling
Feb 16, 2004
The best (and most useful) comment on the three options in the EPS save dialog box I’ve ever seen was "If you want problems, check one of these boxes", in other words, if you don’t know what you’re doing, it will probably hurt, kind of like juggling with chainsaws…

How’s that for a start?
JS
John_Slate
Feb 16, 2004
Checking the "include transfer function" button does no harm, unless there actually IS a transfer curve created for the image, and that is accessable only through the page setup.

The casual checking of that option, as in "it can’t hurt", is more common than the actual concert-effort checking, in conjunction with the transfer curve. 99 time out of 100 that I have seen the option checked, there has been no transfer curve made, and was clearly checked off by a user that had no idea why they were checking it.
MN
Mike_Nittinger
Feb 16, 2004
I know what sorts of issues Transfer Function (and most other format switches) can cause – I’m concerned with the others now – and I’m interested from the standpoint of how these will affect film or other output. When I see an image output to film that has a transfer function applied to it, I know where to look check for one, instead of immediately thinking our imagesetter needs calibration.

I’m wanting the others explained (mostly for my own edification).

And yes, you’re quite right in your juggling with chainsaws analogy – it’s not that I want to turn them on myself – I just need to know what their effects are so the next time I get a DVD full of images that the client thought it was cool to turn on Image Interpolation I know right off that I need to turn it off on each of their thousand images.

Again, the two I’m currently befuddled by are ‘Image Interpolation’ in the EPS dialog and ‘Save Image Pyramid’ in the TIF dialog.
MN
Mike_Nittinger
Feb 24, 2004
Bump -> I’m still looking for an answer here…

Again, the two I’m currently befuddled by are ‘Image Interpolation’ in the EPS dialog and ‘Save Image Pyramid’ in the TIF dialog.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 25, 2004
Gleaned from Photoshop CS’s Help menu:
<<
Saving files in TIFF format:
Save Image Pyramid
Preserves multiresolution information. Photoshop does not provide options for opening multiresolution files; the image opens at the highest resolution within the file. However, Adobe InDesign and some image servers provide support for opening multiresolution formats. >>

and

<<
Saving files in Photoshop EPS format (Photoshop):
Image Interpolation
Anti-aliases the printed appearance of a low-resolution image.

R
Ram
Feb 25, 2004
Mike,

I replied in your other thread; but Ann has done an admirable job here.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 25, 2004
Ann hasn’t. But Photoshop Help might have done.
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Feb 25, 2004
I’ve spent hours in Photoshop help.

It’s chocked full of info if you just try not to look for a specific thing. I’ve become so sidetracked because there are things in their that aren’t in the manual. I soon forget what I was initially looking for.
MN
Mike_Nittinger
Feb 25, 2004
Apologies for the double post – I guess I didn’t refresh at the right time..didn’t realize my bump actually bumped. Thank you Ann – I’m somewhat old school and really have yet to embrace the idea that online help for programs can be *more* useful than the paper manual!

/me learns.

Thanks again, Ann, Ramon and Tim 🙂

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections