Pantone colors to RGB conversion chart or palette?

DH
Posted By
Dan_Humann
Feb 16, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
What is the best method to get the RGB color equivalent numbers from a Pantone color/number. Is clicking on a Pantone color from a palette/swatch accurate, meaning the exact true Pantone color. Does anyone know if these color swatches are exactly the Pantone color?

Any insight on this issue will be greatly appreciated. I dominantly work with video which is RGB but need to create colors from Pantone charts/colors.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

RW
Rene_Walling
Feb 16, 2004
Is clicking on a Pantone color from a palette/swatch accurate

Yes, but only for the RGB profile of the file you have currently open.

In other words, different RGB profiles have different RGb values for the same Pantone colour. For example Pantone 300 is R59 G81 B174 if you work with the ProPhoto RGB profile, but it is R0 G104 B198 in sRGB
J
JasonSmith
Feb 16, 2004
You need the LAB values and apply it to whatever RGB space you’re using.
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Feb 16, 2004
Isn’t there a tool in PS that gives LAB equivalents of Pantone while in RGB?
J
JasonSmith
Feb 16, 2004
well, if you go to the color picker and select the Pantone you want, it gives you the LAB values right there – I’m assuming that’s absolute color – not influenced by the working space?
JS
John_Slate
Feb 16, 2004
meaning the exact true Pantone color

And what does that mean?

An exact PMS color would be from mixing some basic inks in a particular proportion. Then, the paper you print that on will make a major difference in the color you perceive. I don’t think Pantone offers different ink formulas to ensure that PMS#whatever will always look the same, regardless of the paper used.

Are the Lab values in the color picker device-independent values, based on printing Pantone inks on some standard coated paper, provided by Pantone the company?
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Feb 16, 2004
Geez, why do we even have Pantone if its this difficult to get an RGB match. The name Pantone MATCHING System-(PMS) is a joke in the digital world. Why bother with it.
This is right off of the Pantone web site:

PANTONE offers PANTONE ColorWeb Pro 2.0.

PANTONE ColorWeb Pro 2.0 is a software utility consisting of color pickers for the "Internet-safe" colors and PANTONE MATCHING SYSTEM Colors, respectively. The software can be used to reposition PANTONE Colors for the Web, see the closest "Internet-safe" color match to a PANTONE Color and vise versa, or to find sRGB data for PANTONE Colors.

< http://www.pantone.com/products/products.asp?idSubArea=0&amp ;idArea=3&idProduct=347&idArticleType_Products=0> for more information about PANTONE ColorWeb Pro 2.0.
RW
Rene_Walling
Feb 17, 2004
I’m assuming that’s absolute color – not influenced by the working space?

That is correct, the Lab values are not influenced by the RGB working space, but the RGB values are.

PANTONE ColorWeb Pro 2.0 is a software utility consisting of color pickers for the "Internet-safe" colors

What a perfect way to give Pantone money for nothing…I think I can choose my own non-matching colour thank you very much.

Dan, IMHO, if I were you I would not worry too much about matching a Pantone _exactly_ since the final colour will always depend on the TV your video is seen on. Close enough would be what I would aim for.
JS
John_Slate
Feb 17, 2004
Close enough would be what I would aim for.

Amen to that.

What are you gonna do, calibrate the monitors of everyone on the planet?
C
crayola
Feb 17, 2004
no,

but cutting fingers off would be a good start…………..
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Feb 17, 2004
Have to agree with Rene.

Broadcast TV is such a high dollar medium and I doubt they even care nor implement color management or matching. Exxon, IBM, FedEx or UPS brown and their deep pockets don’t seem to mind their logos not looking the same TV to TV and station to station.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 17, 2004
Whether or not they mind if their logos look the same from TV to TV and station to station, there is nothing that they can do about it. Just wander into a store that sells TV sets and you’ll see why.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections