DR
Posted By
Dave_Rennalls
Feb 14, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
How much RAM can CS use. I foolishly ASSumed that CS would be able to access more memory than 7 given the leaps in RAM specs on the new G5s. I got an extra 3gigs on that assumption. I can use it elsewhere so no loss. I’ve looked in the CS book and tried to search adobe but search was down. Sorry if the answer is plastered all over somewhere I haven’t taken the time to find. I just need to know so I can defend the purchase (or not).

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

PF
Peter_Figen
Feb 14, 2004
2 gigs
GP
Graham_Phillips
Feb 14, 2004
How much RAM in total do you have, Dave? If 3.5GB then you’ve got a good system for Photoshop and other concurrent applications. Assign 100% memory to Photoshop.
DR
David_Rennalls
Feb 14, 2004
The thing of it is: I work in nothing but Photoshop all day all night. I use other applications mail, Safari three times a day and close them immediately to conserve RAM and processing power. The strange thing is that Adobe, knowing the future configs of the G5 and the increase of maximum canvas to 300,000 pixels didn’t see the need to bump the RAM usage. Double would’ve been nice. That’s still only half the possible RAM in my new box. I’ve topped out an 8GB scratch enough times to see the need. I understand Adobe can’t design for the .005% I represent so I guess it’s going to have to do. Also I have no idea what kind of programming challenge it would be. If it’s a simple fix please let me know Chris. Also, when I do give 100% to Photoshop, it only allows 1780MB or so. As if it’s leaving some for the system (even though the system has another 1.5GBs to play with). Chris, please set me straight on all this. Thanks in advance.
GP
Graham_Phillips
Feb 14, 2004
Well, now you don’t have to close Safari, etc. to conserve RAM: keep it, and your email program, open.

There are numerous threads on memory capacity, allocation and file sizes, with contributions from some of the Photoshop engineers if you would like further information.
SG
Sylvain_Gingras
Feb 14, 2004
Larryr544 "How much memory can Photoshop allocate?" 2/9/04 2:52pm </cgi-bin/webx?13/12>

See post #11 for some detail
L
Larryr544
Feb 14, 2004
Yes please send me any unwanted memory. Thanks
DR
David_Rennalls
Feb 14, 2004
We’re getting another G5 in a while so "no way dude". Thanks for the answers. Dave
R
Ram
Feb 14, 2004
David,

The link posted by Sylvain starts with post#12 of that thread. Back up to read Scott Byer’s post#11

Hey, folks, it’s not an Adobe thing, an Apple thing, a Microsoft thing, or some conspiracy to keep the oppressed masses down. It’s a fundamental computer science limit. 2^32 = 4GB, the top bit is usually used to help distinguish system address space from application address space, so applications have 2^31=2GB of address space to work with.

Yes, it’s 640k all over again.

The solution? 64-bit chips, OSes, and apps. That’s going to take a few years.
DR
David_Rennalls
Feb 23, 2004
Dang! I knew it had to be sumpin wit fancy numberin -n- cypherin. Thanks for the explanation. I guess I’ll just have to make do. Someday we’ll look back at the whole raster thing and laugh. Changing the color of a bunch of colored bricks to make pretty pictures. Thanks for all the replies. Dave

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections